Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » I want to know more... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey can somebody please tell me what there is to do in Hamtramck. I literally i have not been there in five years and i just passed through the eastern part of it then. I am twenty years old and would like to see what there is to do or somebody can give me a tour one day?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11580
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, this is a terrible title for a thread.

You need to bracket it with some content in order to draw people to it, and then find the darn thing later!

I'd say the first thing you need to do in Hamtown is work on thread titling! Then you might be able to find someone willing to give you a tour.

Since this is not specifically Detroit, you will want to start it in non-Detroit, or from the content...Connections.

Cheers

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you like to drink? If you answer "more than most" this is your kinda town. Oh, wait, I see you're only 20...

If you want cheap rent, cheap GOOD eats (all varieties from Polish to Indian), and the most bizarre people watching in the state (hillbillies, punks, muslims, old blues cats, ethnicities of all sorts, and tons of angry old Polish people) and actually feel like walking or riding your bike instead of driving, spend the day here. Better yet, move in. Grab a Citizen (the local paper), find a roommate and start "livin' the dream".

And yes, they do pick up the trash, and the budget is balanced, unlike every other municipality in the state. And no, the rats haven't taken over (large cat population).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/128109.html?1202833036

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Gannon, I think Hamtramck qualifies as one of the "International Family of Communities surrounding the Straits of Detroit". :-)

What is there to do in Hamtramck? Drink and see great local bands at awesome bars. Not you though, you're only 20. The Belmont I think is 18+, you might want to check that out (if I'm right).

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they also don't plow any side streets ever

Gannon

Post Number: 11591
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, yeah, we've got 'em landlocked, don't we?!

Thanks for the correction.

I was just hoping to get better thread titles from the newbie, too.

I HOPE he read it constructively.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5110
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the deal with the shoes and the utility lines in hamtown?

Gannon

Post Number: 11597
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has been said to denote a place where you can purchase illicit substances to distract from your daily pressures.

They never learned how to close down a franchise though...those old 'signs' linger forever.

Umbound

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks i will make sure next thread i start. And the bars i can probably get myself into, i have my ways, and i do not want to move in, i am happy here in West Bloomfield for the time being. How are the girls though ha ha anybody, anybody? lol

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 825
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, the typical UM student

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoes on powerlines:

http://www.straightdope.com/cl assics/a5_274.html

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has great restaurants, quirky shopping destinations (everything from Sarees to vinyl records) and it's a great walking community. You can get most of what you need on the 2 main commercial areas (Jos Campau and Conant). However, most people only come for the bars and clubs. If that's your thing...but if you're here looking for the ladies, most locals I know don't hang out at the clubs. It's more common to go to a house party. (Or maybe it's just that we hang out with euro folks that like the chance of free food and alcohol). If you ever get an invite to a house party down here, go. Definitely more of a chance of meeting a "real Hamtramck girl." However judging from your previous posts..it sounds like you're just in it for a lady, any lady. In that case, my husband's friends say to try Clutch Cargo's in Pontiac...tons of just turned 18 girls from the OC that heard the ad on 95.5 :-)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has some of the most beautiful women. Spend a half hour in any of the Polish markets and you will know what I am talking about. " If you want to be happy for the rest of your life make a Polish women your wife"

Norwalk

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has some of the best looking women in the Detroit area. Spend some time in any of the Polish Markets and you will know what I am talking about " If you want to be happy for the rest of your life make a Polish women your wife"

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi i am a college studen and am vry interested in somthing. her is a barely litrate post. can you help?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget to visit the Pope statue and Disneyland:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/hamvisit.aspx

Umbound

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Frumoasa but i am from West Bloomfield and I went to Bloomfield Hills Andover H.S. at clutch cargo's half of the girls there are the ones i met from school anyway. I did hear that about Hamtramck girls before though, do they only go for polish guys though? i hope not, i want a smokin hot polish girl, lol

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time you wanted a smokin hot Romanian girl...may I suggest a mail order bride instead? Pick your country, pick her looks, the only thing you leave up to chance is personality ;) But honestly, Polish girls are more likely to date an American than Romanian or Albanian girls I know because they have such a large, well integrated community here and I have known a few Polish people that have married Americans or American born Polish.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon now. The side streets get plowed. It's the small residential streets where you don't have to steer.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you're only 20, stop off at Café 1923 on Holbrook. Excellent espresso drinks, frequently good art exhibitions and other cultural events, and friendly folks who offer great people-watching. Smokers in the back, nonsmokers in the front. Pick up flyers for local events in the front window well. Enjoy the original store furnishings, including wooden walk-in cooler.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main streets get plowed, the Polish girls get plowed...everybody gets plowed in Hamtramck!

Yes the Belmont is 18+. Sometimes Smalls is all ages for big shows.

The girls aren't the type of college-crowd girls like you'd find in Ann Arbor. Try Capo, Shadow Bar or the White Star if you are looking for a dance club type of atmosphere. Otherwise, if you want to meet interesting people and if you like rock and roll, go to Belmont, Whiskey in the Jar or Small's.

Hamtramckstar.com is a good blog about Hamtramck, but there isn't much news about upcoming nightlife.

Norwalk

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Painted Lady when Todd's behind the Bar! Memphisto's can be fun too!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk- Does Painted Lady have live music?

Norwalk

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Tonites show is gonna be Hot! Honky Tonkin Hillbilly Music with Ace Bown and His Ohio Valley Boys

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.