Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Metro Times (Hamtramck) Blowout « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The schedule is up! Whoo-hoo www.metrotimes.com/blowout

There's a few shows I'm excited about this year (besides mine), but mostly I'm excited for the event overall.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads-up and link to the Blowout. What band are you in? Not Melody Baetans???

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch ryder, The Beggars, Regal, what a great time to be had!

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the competing web site festival?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are great nights, especially if the weather is a little warmer (35 or above) because it's nice to see tons of people stumbling from one event to the next. It's one of those few events where Jos. Campau is crowded with people walking all night long.

Kinda' reminds me of a real city.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must check out the "City Chicken Orchestra" pure Hamtramck

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok melody, when and where are you playing?

Melody

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it's me, Melody Baetens ;) Now I've exposed my true self. I'm playing in Coronados, 10 p.m. Saturday at Small's! I'll probably be bartending at the Belmont Friday the night as well.

Soulhawk, the Detour Festival "Rock City Fest" was moved to the summer to ease the hullabaloo that having two festivals the same weekend was set to cause.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Melody, your posts seemed oriented around musical questions. Thanks for being part of this forum. Your participation is invaluable.

Work has kept me from previous Blowouts but that shouldn't be the case this year. Good luck with the show.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What happened to the competing web site festival?

what competing website festival?

Melody

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Yeah, music and bars, that's my beat ;)

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for Aaron Ruth at the Knights of Columbus! He's my favorite.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how the hell do they fit bands in baker's streetcar? last time I was in there there were 6 of us and it seemed crowded. Plus! There was an argument between a real drunk and a local with a talk box....

I'm going to try to finally make this my first year down there, damnit!

Melody

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaron Ruth is a girl! She's my ex-bandmate actually. The Baker's Streetcar shows are nuts because it's SO crowded and crazy.

"what competing website festival?"

Detour Mag, an online music magazine had announced ... eh, screw it, here's my article on it. It has since been moved to the summer. I repeat, THIS IS AN OLD ARTICLE:

From November 2007...

'Rock City' fest tries to edge out the Blowout
Melody Baetens / The Detroit News

Every spring for the past decade, alternative weekly magazine the Metro Times hosts the Blowout, a local music festival that takes place the first week in March mainly in the bars of Hamtramck.

This year, the Metro Times Blowout will have some competition.

A new music and pop culture Web site, Detour (http://detour-mag.com), which is local, has announced it will be hosting Rock City, a four-day music festival March 5-8 at the Majestic Theater Center in Detroit. Traditionally, the Blowout kicks off at the same site on the first Wednesday in March, but Detour claims to have that date booked.

Here's where the gossip mill goes into overdrive. Detour is published by Anthony Morrow, the man who has worked on the Metro Times Blowout eight out of the past 10 years.

Owners of the Majestic had no comment at press time.

Even before Rock City was announced, there were rumors that there would be no Blowout next year. But Metro Times publisher Lisa Rudy says the Blowout will go on as usual March 5-8.

"Metro Times Blowout is of course going on. There's no reason why it wouldn't," Rudy says.

Morrow didn't mention his old project when explaining why he chose to put Rock City in direct competition with the successful Blowout, which has been growing in size and stature since 1997.

"Our goal with Rock City is to produce a stellar event and turn people on to the bands we love," he says. "The dates we chose are perfect because the festival will act as a send off for bands attending South by Southwest (in Austin, Texas) and those starting their spring tours."

How will this competing double dose of local music festivals bode for the fans, musicians and club owners that keep the scene running?

Some see it as a direct and questionably motivated blow to the Metro Times Blowout.

"It seems a little spiteful," says Mike Mouyianis, owner of Small's in Hamtramck. "Obviously, the Detour staff knew the Blowout happens that weekend, since most of them used to work for the Metro Times.

"If you really wanted to help out local music, why throw a festival the same weekend as the Blowout?"

Some might question whether Mouyianis' concern stems from being a Hamtramck bar owner who could be part of the Blowout but not the single-venue Rock City. But he isn't the only one raising that question. Some local band members also wonder about the head-to-head aspect.

"Why compete? Trying to keep track of who is playing where during the Blowout is hard enough," says Kevin Roberts of local band Bluesong. "It seems like it'd be less of a headache to have it on two different weekends."

Still, a fresh twist on a seemingly similar event can be attractive.

"On the other hand," Roberts says, "I do like the idea of having a music festival all in one venue like the Majestic instead of driving from bar to bar, finding a place to park, etc."

Still, Metro Times' Rudy believes the Blowout will stay strong.

"The spirit of it and the success of it have been directly related to the individuals who participate in it from a musical talent standpoint, the venues who provide the environment, the people who show up to see the bands, and the paper who supports those individuals on a yearly basis," she says

"The thought of Blowout not happening because the 100th new event came to town is ridiculous."

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamjab Baker's has the whole room next door its bigger than it looks

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody-licious!

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this is a different Aaron Ruth. He's never been in any bands.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been stunned at how many people they can fit in at the Whiskey in the Jar when the bands are playing. Some of those Hamtown spots are so little it's hilarious, but they always make it work.
I recall going to see the Muggs at the Polish Sea League a few years back and I literally couldn't move.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

diehard...a few years ago i saw the hotness also at the polish sea league during the blowout, and i totally know what you mean. i still can't beleive how many people were crammed in that front room.

hey melody...is that rock city fest the same rock city fest the majestic had a few years ago during the summer? and said they were going to have again the next year, and now (i think) 3 years have passed...?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha norwalk.

Melody

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. That Rock City Fest of 2004 was put on by the Majestic Theatre Complex. Greg Baise was the talent buyer during that time, but I heard that fest was put on by Jason Schusterbauer, who was formerly the Majestic Threatre Center talent buyer and formerly the Blowout coordinator...but I can't really remember.

Anyway, while Rock City Fest 2004 was at the Majestic Theatre parking lot, the Rock City 2008 is inside the Majestic Center, and was/is coordinated by different folks, and is set up different.

Melody

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aran Ruth is playing the blowout, not Aaron Ruth. Aran Ruth is a girl and my former band mate in the Sirens.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baby Ruth!

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, NO, NO! This is a different Aaron Ruth.

Melody

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha, okay, but the Aran Ruth playing at the K of C Lounge is songwriter Aran Ruth, a woman. Aaron Ruth may be playing the Blowout, but so is Aran Ruth.

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

full name bonds aaron ruth?

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bonds Aaron Ruth.

Mrsocks2002
Username: Mrsocks2002

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Greg Baise did indeed book all the bands for the Rock City Festival in 2004, because I actually heard him on the phone and saw him emailing all the agents, and the Blowout site did correct the spelling of Aaron Ruth.

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAY---There is no proof of that. I heard he stole those bands.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi forum, long time no see!
hey Melody, i'll be sure to check you out. my band is playing this year too so i plan to take full advantage of my free wristband...:-)
seems to be a lot of cool stuff lined up this year!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL HAIL FREE WRISTBANDS! one more benefit of having a husband in the band. I hope the weather will be "nice" as it has been the past couple days

(Message edited by alley on February 24, 2008)

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anybody else have a blast last weekend? what was your favorite set? for me it was ALL about Bluesong at Small's Saturday. blown AWAY.

(Message edited by superaygun on March 12, 2008)

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't make it to the Blowout, but I highly recommend seeing Bluesong any chance you get.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Sisters Lucas, City Chicken Orchestra, Human Eye, BlackReign and Okhang, His Name Is Alive. I think most memorable was seeing the bizarre puppet-metal-opera, Geppetto Files at Chill & Mingle. Yeah, it was a good time. Now for that liver check-up! :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went, and while I had a blast and got to see some good bands (GUS, Rachel & Junk, Detroit Cobras, Easy Action...) I really think there should have been a 'one day only' bracelet available. A lot of people came out to see one band, and $20 is a high price to pay for that. Also, next year we know NOT to pay attention to the 6 PM load-in notice!

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Childbite were incredible. Also really liked Mahoney and Daestro.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Childbite never disappoint.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEAstro ;)

Chandyside
Username: Chandyside

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deastro's set shook the ground floor at Painted Lady. But my most pleasant surprise was SikSik Nation's set at Kelly's Bar, ChildBite fighting through the shitsludge sound at K of C and City Chicken Orchestra at Small's tearing shit up in the smartawesomeinsightful spoken word stylee. Kudos to Eve Doster Knepp and her massive crew of volunteers for picking up the torch and programming a Blowout that had spirit and funk and fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.