Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Larry Henry Fired by WWJ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was disappointed to read this story this afternoon. Larry Henry was one of the best play-by-play announcers in Detroit, and is still missed by fans of Michigan football and basketball.

------------------------------ -
Sportscaster Henry fired by WWJ
Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

Larry Henry, whose smooth baritone has graced Metro Detroit's sports airwaves for more than three decades, has been terminated from his position as a morning sports anchor by WWJ-AM 950.

Henry confirmed the move to The Detroit News in an e-mail exchange Monday afternoon.

By e-mail, Henry said the move did not surprise him.

"Hopefully, I can find some other work outside of broadcasting," Henry said.

Henry, whose first job in the Detroit market was with WJR-AM 760 in the early 1980s, has had a long and versatile career. He has handled play-by-play for such teams as University of Michigan football and basketball, Pistons basketball, Lions football and auto racing.

Henry has done free-lance work apart from his duties at WWJ.

Find this article at:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/S PORTS07/802110455

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read that.....there has to be more to the story.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listened to it manifest itself day by day. They picked him apart like crows picks apart road kill (Mo-Town simile). I never thought that they would go this far though. He probably didn't either. It's too bad.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He called some classic games, the Fab Five, just was great to listen to. With him gone from the Michigan football and basketball games and with Champion no longer broadcasting the Lions' failures, Detroit sports radio isn't as good as it once was.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say I'm gonna miss him much.
Used to be solid, but devolved into a slapstick huckster, a la Bernie Smilovitz.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was the funniest part of the mornings at WWJ – his chatter & commentary always broke the mood after so many serious & often grim news pieces. I'll miss his ostentatious sense of humor.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sense of humor can be ostentatious?
That's news to me.

And Larry Henry funny?!
Hardly.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There i$ $o much more to the $tory, re$t a$$ured.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm betting that Lostletgumes summed it up best...

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I $u$pect Lo$tlegume$ hit it right on the money, $o to $peak.

Well, that'$ radio. You're only working becau$e they haven't fired you yet.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Tony Ortiz will move up to the morning slot...

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close your eyes and listen carefully to Tony Ortiz.
Listen ... listen ... ("I love you, you love me, we're a happy fam-a-leee!")

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigersfan thats a great point about Champion and it was obvious it was political considering him doing Pistons game now. Millen put an end to Champion and the Detroit Lions message board! I'm still mad.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about money ... CBS Radio is hemorrhaging money at this point, and this is just the latest of numerous cost cutting moves taking place at their six station cluster in this market. It's also happening at Clear Channel, Greater Media and other broadcasting groups in town.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they want to outsource the sports. A couple days ago I was listening to WWJ in the afternoon and Tony Ortiz was doing the sports. He signed off by saying he was going to go check his mail slot.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He used to brag about how fat and what a big drinker he was. Maybe the station wanted to change their image.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.