Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Could Detroit use a group such as this? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend just sent me this link and I thought . .. hmmmmm?

Let's try this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,,2217067,00.html

(Message edited by carptrash on February 11, 2008)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link no worky. :-)

Carptrash

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. Try cutting & pasting the new one. And if it works perhaps you can create a real link? eeeeeeek

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fran ce/story/0,,2217067,00.html

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link worked for me.

I heard of guerrilla gardening for neighborhoods in decline, so why not this? As long as they know what they are doing. Detroit sure could use some "Cultural Guerrilla's"! Seems like all we hear of are things going the other way.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5021
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a fascinating story! Thanks.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is farr too cool. what would be the first "target"?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first post after lurking here for several years. I've been waiting for a more upbeat thread to post on but the Mayor seems to be hoarding all of the discussion. Anyway, I could think of a million places in Detroit that this could be accomplished. I think there would be a shortage of funds to secretly restore the UA theater, but how about a bar in one of the mythical subway tunnels under woodward?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

subway tunnels????????

Cdwaters

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they were supposedly dug as test tunnels for a subway that was never built. There has been past discussion of them here before, though I don't think there was much detail given. That's why I called them mythical.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a pretty cool idea.

When I first went to MCS I was thinking what would happen if everyone who went in cleaned up a bit, fixed things, just to tidy up the place a little bit at a time.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11574
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"We would like to be able to replace the state in the areas it is incompetent," said Klausmann. "But our means are limited and we can only do a fraction of what needs to be done. There's so much to do in Paris that we won't manage in our lifetime."

True heroes of their city.

Welcome, Cdwaters. I had an old friend who said he'd been down there and saw them...back when he worked for Wayne County. He explored the extensive tunnels between some Catholic institutions in the north part of town, too.

I wonder if we can get Miss Dig a little sodium pentathol...

(Carpy, cannot find that e-address, does your better half still have mine? Trying to plan a springtime visit...very much needed!)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should call those people who produce Cities of the Underworld on the History Channel and have them do an episode on the forgotten Detroit

Cdwaters

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Greenfield Village and there are/were several tunnels connecting buildings. They were all steam or electrical tunnels, but some were placed in odd locations. Being younger at the time, we believed the rumors that Henry had escape tunnels built back to his mansion and my buddies and I were determined to find them. It was a lot of fun if unproductive.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Paris has more work to be done than that which can be accomplished in a lifetime for this group, imagine what it would take in Detroit...

Gannon

Post Number: 11593
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we'd better get STARTED then...

Cdwaters

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it already has... ;)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a great idea, where would one start?

I can see a headline now " Subversive gang of underground artisans alarms politicians for making them look bad"

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As with anything start with something small and then work your way up to something more.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd start in AA by removing all the ivy that they allow to swallow up some classic Parducci on Rackham - then do the same thing on Murphy's statues on the Union.

G-MAN. Do it. try eeklon at yahoo dot commie for/with details. PS there is a foot of really gooey mud every where right now. I'd wait or if you get in you'll not get out. eeeeek

PS wecome tot he lurker that we have lured (lurid?) in with this more upscale talk. einar

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6302
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd start with the neglected Merrill Fountain...

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you end each post with eeeek ?

Gannon

Post Number: 11607
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,

I would, too, if he hadn't copyrighted it.

It's his version of my 'heh', or his overall reaction to the world about him.

All honest people would be muttering it daily. Should be. Could be.

Carpy,
It would be a dream to be stuck in that mud for a while...I am SO itching for a road trip, and another 'Violetting'...that I will now NOT be able to continue this weird happy start to my day!

I will now wistfully daydream of Taos vibrations...e-mail on the way!

Cheers! (that's MY happy geek eeeeeeek)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4735
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay, guerilla public service!

Here's a link to one of my favorite people in Los Angeles, Richard Ankrom, who proves that you can do anything when you put on a florescent orange safety vest:

http://ankrom.org/freeway_sign s.html

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ERSoxabRV7Q

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.