Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sheriff to help frigid Homeless « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11566
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three cheers to Sheriff Warren Evans for his two-day Operation HEAT (Homeless Evacuation Assistance Team)!

While walking around town yesterday, my heart went out to those who for whatever reason had not taken shelter from this amazing cold spell...saw a cop car drive by and found myself wishing there were some way they could reach out and help get these stragglers to a warming shelter.

Nothing more...just show a face and posture for the police that would be WAY more than simple law enforcement. I am once again reminded of the poor fellow who wandered into our church one Sunday morning on Woodward, both frostbit AND second-degree burned from the steam he sought out for unfortunately too many degrees of comfort.

Then this morning I see the Freep story about Sheriff Evan's plan, already in the works.

I've seen various deputies helping others on the road...one time earlier in the winter right at Russell and Gratiot. The fellow was OFF DUTY, and was making himself late for work at the jail by helping a stranded motorist.

Above and beyond the call of duty, Sheriff Evans is leading in many ways. Kudos again for this homeless rescue attempt. He and his crew are good neighbors downtown.

Gannon

Post Number: 11579
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No comments on this?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it goes without saying... his efforts deserve applause.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I agree.

How can one human being watch another human have to endure living in this stuff?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I usually take them clothing blankets and warm soup. We even listened to the stories that they have to tell. A few of them even hold jobs and use public buildings to keep tidy. A very humbling experience.

Gannon

Post Number: 11582
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken,

May you not be able to handle the good karma whiplash that heads your way...thanks for sharing that.

It IS humbling, a few of these individuals have taught me some deep truths about existence.

So easy to tag the offensive ones as the majority, and turn your back on the whole.

I saw that story on Anderson Cooper's show last year about the lady who lived for a YEAR in her minivan, with her two children...on our beautiful Belle Isle...after she lost her home and had nowhere to turn that suited her desire to maintain dignity (some people are trained from birth to NOT accept outside help, I think it may an odd obsession tied to pride).

I realized I had seen her van EVERY morning I drove my old friend Chip home to his roost around the corner from the Manoogian, since we usually made a lap around the isle to philosophize and toke a nightcap gazing upon the skyline of this city we're so smitten with.

I'm shaking as I type this...today is a strange one, I awoke wondering about ALL of the things we take for granted in our world today...and the emotions from the memory of the proximity to that woman and her children overwhelm.

May we find a way to infect some Cheers into this equation...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.