Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Yorkshire mckinney whittier 1970's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, does anyone have any memories to share about the yorkshire mckiney whittier area who was living there in the 1970's. remember the red arrow market with joe at the counter. the syrian bread factory on the corner. the party store at whittier and somerset with the driveway on the side. fat jacks bar next door to jacks service. and tocco's spokes bike shop next to fat jacks. across the street bado service station. I remember the 7eleven being built at roxbury and whittier accross from the pointe athletic club and the taco bell being built at harper and whittier next to vergote's poultry. What was the name of the car dealer at harper and kensington?

(Message edited by whittier70 on February 10, 2008)

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a Buick dealer at Harper and Kensington.
No ... I guess I'm thinking of the one farther down near Bishop. As for the Pointe Athletic Club, ha! ... There's a blast from the past.

Whittier70

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was it richard buick?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Mitkowski Buick. Hope I spelled it correctly.

Now Del-Point Foods and White Castle.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shalla Chevrolet, back in the 70's

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Taco Bell opened around 1982, roughly the same time that the McDonald's opened at Harper and Harvard. We elementary-school kids at St. Matthew's were pretty excited to have somewhere to hang out after school.

There are some stories about the neighborhood at this link ... and more to come:

http://www.glaserproductions.c om/blog/index.htm

Whittier70

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have very vague memories of riding my bike in the parking lot behind the vogue theatre where mcdonalds now is.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember the little record store by the Civic Theatre? And Ritter Lanes? And a restaurant called Perini's? These are all vague memories for me.

Whittier70

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes to all three. I can't remember where Perini's was though. I remember kowalski's, ace hardware, merchandise mart, photomat, family discount drugs, what was that called in the 70's?
lawsons, dino's pizza, towne club. the fruit market on whittier and lakepointe. I think the old stapleton hall is still stapleton hall isn't it? and of course sanders, kresge's and cunninham's. a and p, both chathams.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Perinis. It was down near Pat O'Gradys. Or was it Pat O'Briens. They had great burgers.
Remember many trips to Towne Club, and the record shop. Was it on the same block as the Civic? I got my first loan from the Manufacturers Bank across from the Civic.

Chalu64

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the FotoMat was down there, too. There's still a few of those little buildings left in LA.

Whittier70

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somebody in another thread mentioned the guardian angels, not the school but the good samaritan gang who appeared occasionally in the neighborhood. anybody else remember them, they took a baseball bat away from us little kids coming from the park one day. they were just thugs themselves.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not live around there until the l;ate 1970's, my friends boyfriend lived on Balfour. I was friends with Tim Mcevoy, his familt owned Fat Jacks. great food and drinks. Perinis, Pat Ogradys, Stapelton hall,hall parties.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HarperNottingham, I have just watched your video. I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's. I lived by the 7 eleven and Brys park. Your movie is great. thanks for sharing your life on film. I knew alot of SHAPS when i was young also. geri in SCS

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my first bike at Tocco's. We spent a lot of our dollars and change at Tacomas getting faygo and candy !
I lived directly across from Dominican. I drive thru the old neighborhood every now and then such nostalgia.
I was a kid in the late 70s and the 80s went to St. Matts.

Chalu64

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fat Jacks had awesome corned beef and cheese melts on St. Pat's day. I remember my dad would bring them home for us.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old man Perini had a criminal record so he couldn't a liquor license. He solved his problem by setting up a friend with a bar that was attached to the restaurant. There was a door between the two establishments so patrons of the restaurant could get carry outs and bar patrons could get food. When the old man died, the bar became part of the restaurant under Mrs. Perini.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.