Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pfeiffer & Goebel Breweries « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where were the breweries for these two companies?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goebel was located at Rivard & Gratiot and became the Stroh's ice cream plant after Stroh's bought out Goebel's in 1964. Pfeiffer was around Mack & Beaufait.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1903 advertisements for Pfeiffer and Goebel Breweries (auf Deutsch):

Pfeiffer

Goebel

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nicht macht mit der eyeballs down der brustenhalter von der bier maidens."

Mikeg

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja - Das ist gut bier!

bier

Stinger4me

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The address listed on the advertisement was south of Lafayette. I wonder if the address system changed.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The address system in Detroit changed sometime in the 1920's before 1928.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some info and photos on Detroit's breweries in this thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/103701.html

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pfeiffer plant is still standing, with the company name still attached.

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attached you will find some information about
the attractive Pfeiffer plant that is still
standing on the east side of Detroit.
http://www.detroit1701.org/Pfe iffer.html

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad owned a bar and somewhere along the line, he got talked into buying a whole bunch of shares of E & B brewing. I think he paid something like $2.00 a share for them. When he died , I went to cash them in and the bunch that owned the company had become Armada something or other and each share was only worth about $0.25. I cashed them in . They obviously didn't know how to run the brewery. It was a popular beer in Detroit at one time, probably due to the low price or the giant bottles it used to come in I think they were call G.I.Q.'s

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Altas a Detroit beer?

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm,
Altes was a Detroit beer. First brewed by the Tivoli Brewing Co, which later changed its name to Altes Brewing Co. The company was deep in debt following the Brewery worker's strike during the 1950s and was absorbed by the National Brewing co.

Eastsiderules

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tivoli/Altes Brewery was located at 10113/10175 Mack on the eastside.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on the north side of Mack Ave. north to far from Van Dyke. We did some unofficial tours there.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Pfeiffer building looks really nice.

Needs an automatic garage style door so you can drive into it Dan Tanna style and live the high life.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems strange as I remember still getting Altes well into the 90's.Who was making it??

Mikeg

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tivoli Beer

Patrons of the Miller Saloon on Van Dyke in Center Line enjoying some Tivoli Beer and catching a few rays, circa 1900.

Foodcity
Username: Foodcity

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G. Heileman Brewing was brewing Altes in Frankenmuth, MI, until the plant's closure in 1990. They may have continued producing it in LaCrosse, WI, until they were sold in 1996.

It appears Heileman acquired the Altes brand in 1979 by purchasing the merged Carling and National Breweries (1976).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the older breweries are still around, but they have different owners. I used to buy Huber by the case in returnables. Huber, an ancient brewery, was located about 40 miles SW of Madison and was recently sold to at least two different operators:
quote:

Monroe's Huber Brewing sold--Canadian buyer agrees to buy beer and soda brands, plans to add workers

By TOM DAYKIN
tdaykin@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Sept. 19, 2006

Joseph Huber Brewing Co., with Wisconsin roots dating back over 160 years, is being sold to a Canadian company that plans to expand the brewery and hire more workers.

Mountain Crest Brewing Co., based in Calgary, Alberta, has agreed to buy the Monroe brewery, as well as some of Huber Brewing's beer and soda brands, for an undisclosed price, Huber Brewing President Robert Nichols said Tuesday. The sale is expected to close by Oct. 1.

Along with the brewery, Mountain Crest is acquiring the Huber, Rhinelander and Wisconsin Club beer brands, and the Blumers soda brands, Nichols said.

A newly formed company, Berghoff Brewing Co., will own Huber's Berghoff beer brands, said Nichols, who will be Berghoff Brewing president.

The Berghoff brands account for around 30% of Huber Brewing's annual beverage production, Nichols said. Berghoff Brewing will contract with Mountain Crest to continue brewing the Berghoff brands at the Monroe facility.

The transaction allows Berghoff Brewing to focus on the Berghoff lineup of craft beers, which has been enjoying double-digit sales growth. The Berghoff lineup has expanded in recent years, with such new brands as Berghoff Pale Ale and Berghoff Solstice Wit Beer.

Nationally, the craft beer segment, which includes such Wisconsin brands as New Glarus, Leinenkugel, Sprecher and Lakefront, recorded an 11% sales volume increase during the first half of 2006, according to the Brewers Association, trade group for the craft brewing industry. That comes on top of a 9% sales increase in 2005.

Meanwhile, Mountain Crest Brewing gains ownership of a brewery where it can increase production to help continue its sales growth in Canada, said Ravinder Minhas, Mountain Crest president. His company hired Huber Brewing in 2003 to produce the Mountain Crest brands and helped finance new canning equipment needed to handle that production increase.

Mountain Crest has shaken up the Canadian brewing industry by aggressively underselling that country's two dominant players, Molson Inc. and Labatt Breweries of Canada Inc. The company's sales volume so far this year is up 30% to 40% compared to the same period in 2005, he said.

"We seem to be kicking butt at it," Minhas said.

Mountain Crest also plans to eventually increase production of its U.S. brand, known as Mountain Creek, Minhas said. He said Mountain Crest will be hiring more employees in Monroe but declined to estimate how many new jobs will be created.

Huber Brewing now has around 70 employees, with around 10 sales and marketing employees splitting off to join Berghoff Brewing, Nichols said.

Huber Brewing this year will produce around 235,000 barrels of beer and soda, Nichols said. In 2004, Huber added a second shift with 20 new jobs to handle the growing production contract with Mountain Crest.

The predecessor to Huber Brewing was founded in 1845, three years before Wisconsin became a state. It was known as Blumer Brewery until 1947, when the name was changed to Huber Brewing after a buyout by Joseph Huber and other employees.

Huber Brewing bills itself as the Midwest's oldest continually operating brewery. It is currently owned by the Weinstein family, which also owns Madison-based General Beverage Sales Co. and General Beer Distributors. Nichols, along with Weinstein family members, will have ownership interests in Berghoff Brewing.

The upcoming ownership change isn't expected to have a big impact on Berghoff and Huber drinkers in Monroe, said Tyler Soukup, co-owner of Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern, a long-time local establishment.

"It's not a big deal, as long as they don't jack up the prices," Soukup said.

[Don Rothenbach monitors the brew kettle last year at Joseph Huber Brewing Co. Inc. in Monroe. A Canadian company plans to expand the brewery and hire more workers.]

Relative Sizes
Miller Brewing Co.: 38.6 million barrels sold in 2005.

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co.: 340,000 barrels in 2005 making it the nation's fourth-largest craft brewer.

Joseph Huber Brewing Co.: 235,000 barrels of total beverage production expected in 2006. That includes soda, as well as beer produced for Mountain Crest Brewing Co. and other customers.

New Glarus Brewing Co.: About 44,000 barrels in 2005, with a 40% sales increase expected in 2006.

Brews News
Wisconsin's brewing industry has undergone change in recent years, including new owners for some of the state's long-time brewers. Those changes include Stevens Point Brewery, sold to Milwaukee investors Joe Martino and Jim Wiechmann; the former G. Heileman brewery in La Crosse, sold to a group of investors organized as City Brewing Co., and the sale of Miller Brewing Co. to South African Breweries Plc, which then changed its name to SABMiller Plc. Meanwhile, several craft brewers have been enjoying big sales increases, including New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus; Capital Brewery Co., Middleton, and Lakefront Brewing Inc., Milwaukee.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes me long for the days of Stroh's, proudly brewed at Stroh Brewery Company, Detroit Michigan...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two great Detroit names together--Packard trucks and Gobel Beer!

From the MSU "Making Modern Michigan" website, Images from the Detroit Public Library Automotive Historical Collection

Jo-bell on it's way!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5009
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've forced me to post a picture of my barrel again.

Sorry, can't help it.

Omaha
Username: Omaha

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goebel used to make Goebel 22 beer. When I was young, I loved the idea that they put Bobby Lane's number on their beer. That's Detroit Jingoism for you.

Later my parents burst my bubble. :-)

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you still buy these anywhere?
Goebel

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or how about these?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5125
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I saw some Goebel beer in Milwaukee once. Most people probably don't know that Blatz was the favorite beer in Milwaukee--either in bottles or on tap. It was all draft brewed.

Unfortunately, it never caught on elsewhere and closed years ago. The FTC wouldn't allow Pabst to buy Blatz, according to some weird anti-trust ruling. Along the way Blatz was owned by a number of brewers, including Stroh's. And, it's BAAACK!, since last year...

Foodcity

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh sold the Goebel brand to Pabst in 1999 and Pabst discontinued it in 2005.

Stroh supposedly got the Pfeiffer brand from Heileman in 1996. It is generally believed it wasn't subsequently produced as a Stroh's brand, and hence hasn't been on the market for the past 12 years.

I suppose the Pfeiffer brand in now owned by Pabst (if they acquired it when Stroh sold most of their brands to them), but there is no reference to it on the Pabst website.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5126
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The brewery unions in Milwaukee were much like the UAW in that they always wanted to be very much overpaid. The Uihlein family, which owned Schlitz (still number 1 US brewer up till the 1950s) in addition to the largest bank in Wisconsin and owned much of its downtown like Ilitch, warned the union that if it went on another wildcat strike, they would sell Schlitz because running it was becoming such a bitch for them.

Sure enough, they struck and Schlitz sold it during the early 1980s to Stroh's. The same thing happened to Pabst, and they too left Milwaukee--for Texas. So, all of those Schlitz and Pabst jobs were lost due to union demands. The breweries were sold, and they continued to brew their products outside of Milwaukee to spite the unions.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 11, 2008)

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a very young lad, Goebel 22 was the beer hawked by Van Patrick on Tigers games. Stroh's belonged to the Red Wings when they used to televise the 3rd period of home games. I remember an announcer named, Vern Collette (sp?) who did the live commercials between periods that always challenged him to pour the perfect glass of beer.....foam right to the top.

Hope there is some accuracy to my memories....

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three Van Patrick, Goebel Beer commercials that my brother uploaded awhile ago, on the net.

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=4821062430789211535

Crystilled water?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Pfeiffer brewery on Beaufait (south of Gratiot ) also the original Hudson Motor (Aerocar) factory #1?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drank a can of Goebel's once back in the '80s and it gave me a pretty good stomach ache.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Goebel beer ads from the 70's with the comedian George Gobel. The tag line? "My Alice loves her Goebel"

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5132
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I drank a can of Goebel's once back in the '80s and it gave me a pretty good stomach ache.

Come on... You must be a sickly being.

Most popular US beers are weak in taste, body, and alcohol (typically 4.5% for almost all of them). Brands like Goebel and such lost market favor due to sex appeal after the advertising. All lot of beer drinkers didn't like names such as Huber or Goebel, starting around the 1950s. Until then they were alright and very popular.

Most beer drinkers cannot detect even their own favorites when tested over the years.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5133
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While trying to come up with something about Pabst's Andeker label, I discovered a short paragraph mentioning a Detroit brewery named Andeker.

Most US hops (from Oregon and Washington, mostly) has a different taste (more bitter) than European hops. The better of that is from the Czech Republic. Pabst used Pilsner hops for its Andeker label, which began sometime around 1960. It was only moderately popular in Milwaukee, even after a few advertising blitzes there. If not brewing my own (still illegal then until 1978), I usually drank Andeker.

Anyway, what's the dirty on Detroit's Andeker? The blurb said it was gobbled up by another brewer.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 12, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lt. August Goebel, 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment - from the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Michigan Volksblatt

Photo of Lt. August Goebel, 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment - from the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Michigan Volksblatt.

August Goebel was born on Sept. 2 1839 in Munstermaifeld, Rhenish Prussia and he arrived in Detroit in the year 1856. During the Civil War, he enlisted in the Union Army's 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment. He fought at Bull Run and quickly rose into the officer ranks.

In 1873, he and a partner, Theodore Gorenflo, formed the August Goebel & Co. - Cincinnati Brewery, which was located at Maple and Rivard in Detroit.

1884 Map of the brewery district near Gratiot and Rivard

1884 Sanborn Map of the brewery district near Gratiot Ave. and Rivard St.

In 1889, the company was reorganized as the Goebel Brewing Co. - A. Goebel Brewery, which lasted until Prohibition in 1919. They reopened again as the The Goebel Brewing Co., Inc. in 1934. Thirty years later, they ceased operations and their assets were acquired by the Stroh Brewery Co.

[my questionable Brewery Information source]
[Read more about August Goebel]

(Edited to correct flawed information regarding Stroh Brewery acquisition)

(Message edited by Mikeg on February 13, 2008)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a glass goebel plaque with a rooster on it back in the day...I found it in the basement of the house in Detroit that I used to live in..It broke in half sadly

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at all those breweries in that small area on that map... wow.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad has Pfeiffer beer bottle with the beer still in it. I am 47 and he has had it as long as I can remember. Next trip to his house, I will look at the label for any pertinent information.

Foodcity

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the nice post, Mikeg!

I apologize in advance for being nit-picky, Mikeg, but it appears that Stroh did not acquire Goebel in 1936.

In "Brewed in Detroit", Stroh Historian Peter Blum portrays the brewers as strong competitive rivals throughout the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. There isn't any mention of Stroh acquiring Goebel in 1936.

However, on p. 232, Peter writes, "Unable to lower the cost of production or raise the price, Goebel closed its doors in 1964".

He continues in the very next paragraph "The entire Goebel property was acquired by Stroh". This is also noted on p. 217.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) happen to know if there are other Goebel & Stroh reference sources available? I'd be highly interested if there are!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Perfecting the Art, Preserving the Quality:
http://home.insight.rr.com/bai leypage/Stroh/american.htm
"The first Stroh acquisition was made in 1964 when Stroh began brewing Goebel beer, another Detroit original. German-born August Goebel started his small brewery near Bernhard Stroh's plant in Detroit in 1873. The Goebel Brewing Company was subsequently expanded and taken over by Goebel's sons in 1905. The brewery closed during Prohibition, then reopened in 1934 with the help of former Stroh brewmaster Otto Rosenbusch. After World War II, Goebel established national prominence. However, a long strike by brewery workers in Detroit in 1958 hurt sales locally and Goebel was forced to close its plant doors in Detroit in 1964. The Stroh Brewery Company acquired all Goebel assets, and today continues to brew the flagship brand, Goebel, best known for its light-bodied crisp flavor at a reasonable price."

By the way, remember "Brewster the Goebel Rooster"?

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you old-timers may remember the glory days of Goebel, when they were the main sponsors of both the Tigers and Lions broadcasts.

It was a sad day for us Van Patrick fans when Stroh's took over the broadcasts and "relieved" Van Patrick of his duties. The word around town was that Stroh's felt Van was too closely related to the Goebel label, and didn't think the possibility of a transition to Stroh was possible. I always felt it could have worked....

How many remember Edwin J. Anderson's Tyrolean hat which he always seemed to have on? Van would always work in Edwin J., Ozzie Olson from Swedish Crucible Steel (Olsonite Toilet Seats), and Watson Spoelstra from the Detroit News into the Lions half-time TV break, scoring some points with the Lions ownership crew.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5154
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Side Brewing Co. / W.F. Moloney Vienna Brewery (brewing & bottling, 412-416 Howard, at n.e. cor.of 12th)

Eastsiderules

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge,
Care to sell that barrel?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.