Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Current wave immigrants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know if there is any wave of immigrants coming to Detroit at all, at my dads gas station at seven and Southfield there is a lot of Africans in the area but is there any from Europe and where do they live?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Hamtramck, and we have a large population of people from Poland, Bengladesh, Ukraine, Albania Bosnia, and Yemen.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a recent wave of Iraqi Chaldeans that already have family here, but there hasn't been a really big influx of any group that I know of from Europe. I go to a Romanian church and I think the last new family we had from RO was probably a year ago, whereas there was a time about 6-7 yrs ago where it felt like a new family every week.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale has quite a few Iraqis and Syrians

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a good number of European immigrants came to Detroit for the employment opportunities. With much of that gone, you are bound to see fewer immigrating. It might be as simple as that.

Frumoasa

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is as simple as the fact that there isn't a lot of work here. Many new Romanian immigrants are going to Arizona, Missouri and Georgia and some are sipping the US all together and heading to Canada and Australia. That is not including the vast amounts of Romanian immigrants to other European countries like Spain, Italy and Austria.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frumoasa,

I remember there being a lot of Romanians coming into southwest Detroit in the late 90s. What parts of town do they move to now when they come over?

Romanian women are beautiful!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still some recent Romanian immigrants--the cooks at the Bucharest Grill being cases in point. I think the owner said he lived in Macomb County. I agree about the women. One was working as a cashier at the Walgreens across the street from me. I learned to say "thank you" in Romanian and hoped to learn more. But she was having none of it.

Umbound

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea but the Iraqi Chaldeans moving here dont even move into the city they will just move in with family in the burbs because i have a 2nd cousin that lives with my aunt in Bloomfield Hills. Thats because there are almost zero chaldeans living in the city now.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, the new Chaldeans no longer move into the old Chaldeantown on 7 Mile. This area has very few remaining Chaldean residents and businesses.

The new "Chaldeantown" for working/middle class Chaldeans is Ryan Road in Sterling Heights. The Chaldeans with a little more money live in West Bloomfield, especially along Orchard Lake Road and (for the really successful Chaldeans) along with the South Asians, Koreans and Jews in the nouveau riche Wabeek subdivision (Long Lake/Middlebelt Road area).

Umbound

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea but none of us even knew that area as "Chaldeantown" it just does not sound like a pleasant neighborhood name. My dad originally wanted to buy a house off of Long Lake between Lahser and Woodward but found a better deal in West BLoomfield for a new house.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oak park has I believe decent amount of chaldeans, and some asian immigrant not sure from where I cant tell the language differently

Frumoasa

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetX: You are very right that there are Romanians on the SW side. There are a lot of them. Their general area is south of Warren, north of Michigan Av and pretty much east of Central to the border with Dearborn. They started settling in the community in the late 70's early 80's when some Pentecostals came to the US due to religious persecution. Many of them fled on foot to the border with Yugoslavia and risked being killed if they were caught. When these men settled here, they brought their families over and many of them had a lot of kids, so the population grew quite healthy up until the 1990's when Romanians started immigrating in large numbers and found a community of affordable homes with fellow Romanians around. The population boomed especially until the late 90's. Most Romanian men work in the construction trades (tile, granite, hardwood floors) and the real estate market boomed, so many gained affluence quickly and moved out to Dearborn Heights, Canton and up into the northern Suburbs (mostly east Troy and west Sterling Heights). The community is still sizable and healthy. One look at a Chadsey yearbook will tell you that the Romanians are still around. There's even a Romanian restaurant on Michigan Av that's mostly a place for the young men to hang out and watch satellite soccer. As for dating Romanian girls...most date within their culture and much of the population down there is Pentecostal so they generally only marry in their culture and religion. And some are just stuck up ;)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is the Bucharest grill?

Umbound

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can i find Romanian women my age hang out at? (20 years old) I want to date one :-)

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who lived in a Hmong neighborhood on the east side, off of Gratiot I believe. I believe the lot of them have migrated to Warren but I'm curious as to if a Hmong community still remains.
This is a problem that Detroit faces with immigration, and it is especially evident in Hamtramck. A bazillion immigrants there, but most of them, after establishing themselves, move out to the burbs, and as they gain wealth, seem to keep moving.
This is, of course, also evident with whites and blacks in the city; move on up and move on out.
There has to be some way to retain these communities.

Frumoasa

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMBound: Try a Starbucks in Dearborn or Troy... any night of the week will do. If you like the club scene, White Star hosts a Romanian night about once every 2 months
http://whitestarclub.com
But thats where you find a Romanian girlfriend, not a Romanian wife. We Romos date to get married...for ex. I'm 22, married for 4 years and already have a kid and my church is full of girls just like me. Most people know if you're looking for a girl to marry, you date until she graduates high school and throw a June wedding ;)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, the Bucharest Grill is attached to the Park Bar at Park and Elizabeth. You can order their food from the bar or just get it to go. Seriously garlicky stuff. Good, cheap pita sandwiches that, although they are called shwarma, are quite different from the Middle Eastern version.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so funny to hear people talk about Wabeek like that.

But it's true...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.