Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Past Detroit Olympic Bids « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reading a wikipedia article about Mexico City, i came across a sentence which mentioned that Mexico City beat out Detroit for the 1968 olympics. In investigating further, the following link indicates that Detroit made a bid for every olympic games from 1940 to 1972. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ids_for_Olympic_Games_(ballots)
Does anyone have any further information on Detroit's Olympic quest of the mid 20th century? Forgive me if this was discussed before ... i'm quite new to the area. Thanks.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6125
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brennan Pools, built for Olympics in Rouge Park.

jjaba, 1960s locker room attendant and towel snapper.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that Detroit holds the record number of bids for a city that has yet to host a game.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like 2016 is going to be the Olympic year for Chicago... (their 4th bid... The only American city and summer olympics have not been in the states since Atlanta '96)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Detroit should start working on its 2028 bid.

Aluminum
Username: Aluminum

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mean time, how about another Super Bowl (L-for 50, because XXL was pretty awesome), any All-Star games, and the Olympics! We have to start on infrastructure improvements now.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greece seemed completely ill-equipped to deal with the Olympics as well, and they are well known procrastinators. Yet, they managed to get transportation and everything ready at the last minute, in true Greek fashion.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, what kind of crazy generalization is that? Try saying that in broad daylight on Monroe St, amongst all the "well known procrastinators." Maybe they'd procrastinate long enough that you'd be able to sneak off before getting your ass kicked.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5002
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL George. Sorry, I guess it's a family thing. Only good natured ribbing from one Greek to another.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 725
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of how I make fun of nerds all the time. "hey you, nerd, want a knuckle sandwich?"

Aluminum
Username: Aluminum

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all get to benefit from infrastructure improvements, and in turn, become a more attractive host city. I want to be selfish and enjoy the improvements in my lifetime; while the hosting of the big events would be the economic frosting!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually most cities actually lose money in hosting an olympic games, but in the long run benefits the city greatly.

My list of events Detroit should bid for:

-(If Chicago is not rewarded the games in 2016)2020 Games
-(If not rewarded 2020 Games)2024 Games
-(If not rewarded 2024 Games)2028 Games
-2013 Superbowl
-2010 All Star Game
-NHL and NBA All Star Games

-BIGGEST OF THEM ALL-- MORE CONVENTIONS!! Get that expansion moving.....

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2020 games would be cool to have!!

2nd on the More Conventions!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proposed Olympic Stadium

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.archive.org/details /DetroitC1965

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =l9uWSNbHEps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1jaBGXMOGzk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6yUzHRcchBM&feature=related

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the guy that posted these actually has a lot of cool videos of Detroit!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gr andOleDetroit

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fantastic footage. exactly what i was looking for thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.