Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Algonquin Club « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6535
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bi-national local history club that was founded in 1934, and still at it with an active membership. The meeting alternate monthly between a Windsor location and one in Clawson.

Anyone know anything about them, any members here?

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=590

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew-I know absolutely nothing about the Algonquin Club, but I do recall many years ago that Bob Lee, former curator of the Dossin Museum gave his fascinating lecture on the "History of Prostitution in Detroit" at the Algonquin Club.
Bob knew a lot more about Detroit's history other than just about the steamships that sailed by his beloved museum.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only belong to homo-national clubs.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6536
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the other day I was unaware they were even in existance, despite having operated since 1934.

Talk about flying under the radar!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6124
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The important thing is that AIW is posting here us again. He's got so much to share, always quality postings.

jjaba, enjoy your Donner Kabobs.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALGONQIN STREET WAS CLOSE TO GAR WOOD MANSION,GRAY HAVEN ISLAND CORRECT ?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look on google it will show you exactly where it is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.