Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Kink in Belmont St. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While in Hamtramck the other day, I came across a sharp kink in Belmont St. between Lumpkin and Brombach. I also noticed that there were driveways there connecting the street to the alleys on either side. Google satellite images show that the lots west of the bend on the north sides of Belmont and Yemans are deeper than the others in the neighborhood, and that Trowbridge also curves in the same spot, although much less drastically. Since I'm curious about these sorts of things, and since this forum has proven itself to be a near-endless repository of useless but fascinating Detroit-related trivia, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how this came about. So does anyone know how this came about?

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea how the curve came to be, but one of my best friends grew up there on Belmont and always said his house was "three houses from the curve"! I look forward to finding out more myself.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two different subdivisions. An alley used to separate the two. The western end is the older subdivision.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Morang Memories thread someone remarks of a wierd bend in the road on Lakepointe and a couple of other adjacent streets. That twist is interesting. I tried to find the subdivision that those streets were in but no luck. I do not know which private claim they are in. The number I found on the USGS maps gave me subdivisions in southwest Detroit. These curves are at the intersection with Grayton. I assume two different subdivisions is the reason.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that was quick. Thanks, Mikem.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's part of the original 10,000-acre tract. Lots of loopy development because it was surveyed in like 1820 and sold and developed piecemeal.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5016
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was actually just Dave Davies

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought "kink in Belmont Street" was gonna mean something way different....

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a disappointing thread title.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it got you to click on the thread, right? The ends justify the means.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.