Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » "Detroit Noir"- short story collection.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mhc
Username: Mhc

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether or not there was already a thread about this but, I just finished this book and loved it...

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great book! Got it as a Christmas present and loved it. Such a variety of stories...I liked the little map that was in the beginning of the book.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also read it during the holidays. One story, "Our Eyes Couldn't Stop Opening" by Megan Abbott, is about Grosse Pointe teenagers who venture into the bad old eastside of Detroit in the 80's looking for thrills. I grew up in that area and it brought back a lot of memories. I also liked "The Coffee Break" by Melissa Preddy. The heroine is a waitress who works behind the lunch counter at a Cunningham Drugs in the 60's. I sent a copy to a friend who grew up in my neighborhood and hasn't been back in 30 years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.