Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Goose Lake Music Festival « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who went to the Goose Lake Music Festival in 1970? It was Michigan's version of Woodstock. I have slides that prove that I was there because sometimes it's hard to remember what happened in the sixties and early seventies.

The following acts were scheduled to appear.Not all showed up.
Savoy Brown
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker
10 Years After
Savage Grace
Mountain
Chicago
RAM
Bob Seger
John Sebastian
Alice Cooper
Litter
SRC
James Gang
Stooges
John Drake Shakedown
Flock 3
Power
Wizard
Mighty Quick
Brownsville Station
Flying Burrito Brothers
Suite Charity
Alice Cooper, Joe Cocker, and Savoy Brown did not perform. MC5 and Rod Stewart were added late.

It was wild. Ten Years After were the best!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was there....hated Mountain, so loud yet so unmusical...overall that fest was a bad scene, I remember many OD's, bad trips, fights. But some of the music was sublime, I really dug the Burrito Bros and Chicago. When we left the festival cops were lined up like sharks culling 'suspicious' vehicles from the pack. Last rock fest I went to. There were many which had great music, great vibes, all positive stuff goin' down, (like the Ann Arbor Blues & Jazz Festivals - Mingus, Miles, Muddy, Ray Charles, wow!, and the Toronto Rock Festival (think was 1969, Alice Cooper among others), but GL wasn't among 'em...

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 15 that summer. My neighbor got to go. i was green with envy. I used to go to the Ann Arbor blues and jazz. still have my T shirt from 1973.My friends and I would hitch hike. I would love to see the pics Jokerman.What great years to be young, we were born at the right time.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, I went to the Grande Ballroom 40 year reunion, Canned Heat rock the building, Third Power was there and authur Brown it was at the Royal Oak music theatre.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there...Not as good as Miami,Toronto..The sound system was bad..The people were the best part..I remember a guy with a 63 Chevy camped next to us..He opened his trunk ..It was like a drug store everything labeled Blue acid,Brown acid,Mushrooms ,weed,Hash..very weird

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was organized by Russ Gibb of Grande Ballroom and Detroit radio fame.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3705
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have the handbill. It is framed and hanging in one of our bedrooms. If you want me to scan it and attach it, let me know.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex was at GL and had a great time. She had to . . ..... mislead her folks about where she was going and really needed a shower when she came back. But all the fights and bad trips happened to someone else. eeeek

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, the hippies left so much garbage there that it set back the chances for future similar festivals. Waaaay different from today, with the leave-it-better, take-only-pictures, leave-only-memories crowd of hippies that do stuff like Burning Man.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd: That reminded me that my friend Dennis only brought things that he could leave behind; tent, sleeping bag etc. All he left with were the clothes on his back (and probably some herb in his pocket).

I remember that as we were leaving they were announcing "Leave all your dope behind because the cops are stopping cars on the way out."

They had big barrels at the exits. People were dropping all kinds of illegal stuff in these barrels. I often wondered who profited from all that left behind contraband.

During the festival people had drug supermarkets set up: "Spanada with mescaline, Spanada with acid, Boone's Farm with mescaline, Ripple with THC etc." It was laissez-faire capitalism at its best!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Yes!!

I was there and do remember ice cold showers in a large tent,also a wedding held on stage.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any recordings made of the event? It seems like every festival back in those days was being recorded for posterity, for better or worse(Woodstock, Monterey, Isle of Wight etc.). I assume the organizers would've wanted to cash in on some of that.

Then again, if the sound was as bad as Whaler remembers, maybe it's all for the best.

I had a photocopy of the concert flyer at one time but lost it. Was it a Grimshaw? I don't remember it being all that fantastic.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember somebody telling me that Joe Cocker was too drunk to make his flight from Miami or something. :-)

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qdaddy77

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tokens to get in huh?

Qdaddy77

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry JimG, i know you said they sucked...but its all i could find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KszD_MfB798

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFCx3EMPxm4

(Message edited by qdaddy77 on February 07, 2008)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News clip from WKNR on Gooselake........

http://www.keener13.com/airche x/WKNR-FM%20News%20and%20Mitch %201%20081070.mp3

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I brought my handbill and I can't seem to save it as anything but a PDF file and so....if anyone can tell me how to scan it as a PDF and post it. It looks pretty cool and is different than the one above.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.