Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DSO seeks riverfront home « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0204/SUB/802040337

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading a blurb about them doing a feasibility study for this.

This seems to fit in well with Kilpatrick's big plan of removing Ford Auditorium and Chene Park, and building something better than both of them right there near Bates St. and Hart Plaza.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that they're just looking for an outdoor summer venue.

My kneejerk reaction to that unspecific headline wasn't good.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is really that wrong with Chene Park?! Just use that venue. It seems like it should be plenty fine for summer performances. It's not even that old (maybe 20 years). It is in good shape and a decent location. Does more money really need to be spent on a new venue? Just use the ones that you already have!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6254
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chene Park Amphitheatre currently seats 5,000. This is up from the 3,000 that it sat before it was reconstructed in the late 1980's.

I know the city wanted to raze the relatively new Chene Amphitheatre and reconstruct one in Hart Plaza where Ford Auditorium currently is.

But my argument against that all along is that it's a big waste of scarce city dollars. After all they rebuilt the damn Chene amphitheatre twice already since the 1970's.

One other thing comes to mind is why the sudden desire by the DSO to have their summer home on the riverfront? They've had their summer digs mainly at Meadowbrook for decades. Maybe they're having troubles since Palace Entertainments took over Meadowbrook a few years ago? I don't know...

But if deep pocket DSO patrons want to cough up a big chunk of change to build an amphitheatre where Ford Auditorium currently sits empty, then by all means they should do so... but scarce city dollars should not be spent in such a scenario, since they have other more pressing issues to spend their scarce dollars on.

However, if Chene Park is good enough for the DSO, I say go for it, and don't bother building another amphitheatre in Hart Plaza. A Chene Park Amphitheatre is after all compatible with a redeveloped east riverfront.

Just my 2 cents.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't disagree, Gistok. The Ford Auditorium site could fly for a non-civic use, and should be developed ASAP, and considering that riverfront parcels aren't exactly going like hotcakes, it's not like we should add to the supply of possible development sites by tearing down CP. I used to be in favor of removing it, but I think it would be a nice component of a mixed-use neighborhood on the river. They might want to remove the moats.

Seperately, though, the FA needs to be acted on ASAP.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What some of you don't realize is that if they plan on building the Watermark right next to Chene Park and build some of the other luxury developments, those residents are going to be bombarded with loud music for three months, two to three times a week. That's a major inconvenience when you're paying $350,000+.

Residents will want to open their balcony doors to take in the summer breezes. I don't think they'll be happy having to close those balconies every time a concert takes place. I think this is the reason that the city wants to move Chene Park to the Ford Auditorium location.

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, we're talking about the DSO here. Blasted with music? I think not. IMO, having the DSO playing in the summer so close is considered an amenity, not a demerit. Why should the city care about pleasing a developer by MOVING a public space when the development may not even go thru (God forbid). Tear down Ford Auditorium, put up some statue or decorative piece & extend Hart Plaza. If the city can afford that just let it sit there & try to rent it out until enough money can be raised for its demo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.