Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Best paczki in Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through February 04, 2008Dbc30 02-04-08  11:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5052
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Stephens (where I taught the fifth grade at its K-5 before the bishop closed it) doesn't do Polish Masses on Sunday anymore either since last year. It's now a Puerto Rican/Cuban neighborhood. According to the Det News, that area was the last Polish remnant left in Detroit.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Martha Washington was packed this morning. The packzi there are pretty good, but I may try New Palace next year.

And lest anyone think the packzi hype is fading, there was a news crew there, but it was Mo Rocca from the Daily Show/John Stewart (or Jay Leno). He was talking to some guy who wanted to sell his place in line for $5. And then later this morning on NPR, Scott Jagow talked about hearing about packzi for the first time this year, and he interviewed some bakery in Hamtown...

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I concur, Martha Washington, Three Dozen procured. Time:1:15 minutes.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the southwest side, in what used to be an old Polish neighborhood, there's the Supreme Bakery
off of Central, between the 94 Service drive and
McGraw, on Panama, across from Mother's Bar. Was in there yesterday and they had the most magnificent display of the donut treat I ever saw.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dds- I used to see him 3 times a week at PLAV # 9 on Mc Dougall and Kirby. He was funny , Bob Bennett that is.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whats everyone's fav' filling? Im partial to the fruit kind."

Real ones actually have no filling. Yeah - imagine that.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Busia's

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to New Palace last night to avoid the rush. There was a FOX2 van parked on the side street already. I didn't see any reporter or cameraman, though. They probably just wanted to get a good spot before the onslaught today.

New Palace was selling something they call a "Hamtramck Boat". It looked like 2-3 paczki covered with some confection. I forgot to ask what was in the "Boat", but it looked like an artery clogger for sure.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marta Vashinton!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl jr. is right!,

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of traffic this morning, I almost forgot it was Fat Tuesday. I can vouch for Sunnyside Bakery...good stuff. I sometimes go there when the Nortown Bakery is closed (although I have never seen paczki at Nortown..it's a good bakery anyways. Nice friendly people and traditional Romanian products). If you can get apricot filling, that is also a nice traditional one but a little harder to find.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NPR radio news from L.A. this morning featured newscaster (Scott Jaygal) talking about this thing called a "Paczki" and how places with eastern european populations like them on this day..He had never heard of this tradition. Then they interviewed someone from our own Martha Washington Bakery in Hamtramck to tell more,, He seemed very interested,, It was so funny, something we take for granted and the Californians havent a clue..One of things that makes me like Detroit and its culture.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I sometimes go there when the Nortown Bakery is closed (although I have never seen paczki at Nortown..it's a good bakery anyways. Nice friendly people and traditional Romanian products)"

Friendly people? There's one guy who works and lives there. Who are these people you've seen there??

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A CBS news crew is also in Hamtramck covering the festivities. I think the feature will air on Sunday, but I'm not sure on what show.

Pgn421

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whiskey in a jar was rockin! Polish Muslims were great.Post 10 was rockin with Danny D !

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karenka -

The name of the show IS Sunday morning.

9 am on Ch. 62.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Paczki is custard and so is Mr. Eriedearie's.

The bakeries in and around Windsor now make them. But to me the REAL ones can only be had in Hamtown!

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff,

Sounds like there is still a Polish bakery left on the SW side? If so, good news.

Goes to show what I know out here in DC, where, by the way, it was 65 degrees today with no snow and no paczki! In previous years, I made them or went to Baltimore, where they're still available in a few spots in the old Polish neighborhood of Fells Point.

Man, I miss home.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... Did anyone have a jello-shot or Jagrmeister Paczki?

I'm timid. I just had a raspberry and a blueberry filled.

And the "Bob Bennett Memorial Cup" was won by some guy who ate 16+.

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzy's in Hamtramck had a Jezynowka filled paczki. A blackberry brandy flavor. Pretty good stuff

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetheart Bakeries

Pgn421

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk-where does Melody work? I thought i saw you at Whiskey In A Jar.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't know that but I was At the Whiskey , the Belmont, PLAV and.......................

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3831
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't get my hands on a single paczek yesterday. Damn.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I couldn't get my hands on a single paczek yesterday

Too slippery from the grease?

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CBS news crew was for the CBS Evening News... they were at the New Dodge yesterday morning filming the Muslims.... not sure when it will air though (I should have asked them), hopefully not yet, I have to get the TIVO ready! :-)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Whiskey in the Jar twice, the first time during the Kielbasa Kings' set, the second time was during the WRIF broadcast. I also spent several hours at the Belmont (three times), and also went to Small's, Paychecks, Roosevelt Bar and New Dodge. We started there but it was too hot and the crowd had 15+ years on us so we took off to find our friends. I tried Small's paczki bomb and it was okay. It was a mini paczki that had vodka poured into it. I didn't finish it.

I started at noon and didn't get home until after 3 a.m., so I think I did pretty good considering I didn't fall down and my boyfriend didn't get into any fights. We also made a point to walk everywhere, even when it was raining and offered a ride. Overall I had 1/2 a paczki, one perogi, one kielbasa, two shots of Jezy and about 20 beers. Boy was it fun! :-)

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether the story was also aired on CBS Evening News, but the crew, with Mo Rocca in tow, was doing a feature for the show Sunday Morning.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockeyplayer: I go in in the mornings and sometimes there is a Romanian lady there because I spoke with her a time or two. Perhaps it's the owner's wife or perhaps it is just another Romanian that I happened to run into, but she seemed to know the owner, so I assumed family. There aren't that many Romanians in my area (namely my husband and I) so us Romos tend to seek each other out

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray1936, where can I get paczki here in Vegas?

Pgn421

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today cbs Sunday Morning showing clip from Hamtramck.9 am, right now

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See video at http://hamtramckstar.com
They even visited Theresa Witkowski, winner of the 2008 paczki making contest, who made homemade paczki! Too bad the Polish Muslims got cut.

CBS Sunday Morning 2/10/08
Mo Rocca on Passing the Paczki
With Mo Rocca, we’ll go to Hamtramck, Mich., right outside of Detroit, to celebrate its biggest holiday of the year: Paczki Day. And just what are paczki, you may well ask? Well, the easy answer is they’re a kind of jelly donut, Polish-style. But don’t say that in Hamtramck, where every year on Fat Tuesday, folks line up for their favorite treat, and spend the day celebrating with polka, beer, and, of course, paczki.

The Polish Muslims are a band offering a whole array of paczki-related songs. Check out their Web site: www.thepolishmuslims.com

Also, the bakery featured in the piece is the New Martha Washington Bakery, in Hamtramck, Mich.

(Message edited by Gingellgirl on February 12, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.