Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Greening of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever helped out with this organization. It seems like a Great idea!

http://www.greeningofdetroit.c om/index2.htm

I hope to help out in the Summer!

Cas
Username: Cas

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is a great initiative for Detroit. I actually looked at this a few weeks back and thought that it'd be a great way to reinsert myself into Detroit life after my family and I move back this summer. Also, Detroit has Earth Works Garden (http://www.earth-works.org/), an amazing urban garden initiative working for the poor and needy. An article about Earth Works was printed by the Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/2005/re ligion/0509/16/B05-310249.htm) in '05 and I've been following them ever since.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both the greening of detroit and the earth works garden are part of a larger collaborative, called the detroit garden resource program. http://www.detroitagriculture. org/

i have volunteered for a few of the groups affiliated with the program many times...and together, they do a lot from helping create and maintain community gardens, offering classes for people to become master gardeners, help new homeowners learn how to landscape and maintain their yards, plant trees, etc. etc. they also partner with other community groups and organizations in the city, like the southwest detroit environmental vision, and avalon bakery.

if you get a chance to volunteer for them even once, it's worth it. the work can be hard sometimes (especially if you are planting trees), but it's fun and you actually learn useful knowledge in the process.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work there from the 9th grade until a couple years ago. They have tree plantings starting in late March until the Summer Corps start in late June so you'll have plenty of opportunities to help if that's what you want to do.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on February 04, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was an education intern for them in 03 it is a very cool place with lots of interestin people. Its great when you can interact with kids in the outdoors. If anyone has any questions about the greening I am willing to share my 2 cents.
email me @ josephrashid@gmail.com

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were there in '03? I was there then.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I worked with Sue, I assume you were with Joe?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Sekou, you arn't Sekou Benson, are ya? I've always wondered that...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup I was one of Core kids under Joe back then. I remember Sue having interns for a few years we rarely saw you guys unless you were the ones who were in the mini van often.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, Sekou is a last name.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah we were off doing Tree Keepers Kids and Camp Greening.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, right I remember Camp Greening in the park like on Tuesdays or Wednesdays if I remember right. Thats cool its nice to meet a fellow greening alum if you want to call it that. Are you still involved with them? I haven't been since last year and last I heard Joe is no longer there, which is shocking because not only was he cool but he literally was Mr. GreenCorps.

I'm surprised you don't hear about the Greening on this site as much as like slows or something, seeing as they are actually quite pro Detroit and active around the city.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 742
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, the greening is actually now a line item on the citys budget an do planting virtually every week. I interviewed for an educator position last year but that was the last I have heard of them. Sue and Joe both left mid to late last year, its pretty much a whole new crew since when we were there.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am devastated to hear Joe is gone. Worked with him on many projects. He was great to work with. He was the only one in Greening that I really admired.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Thats cool. I don't know that the Greening being more affiliated with the city is a good or bad thing but if it works out at least they have a steady stream of funding.

And yeah Sumas Joe was cool. Last I heard he moved on to Florida somewhere. They threw a goodbye party for him that I sadly wasn't able to attend, I really just couldn't imagine the Green Corps operating without him around so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.