Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mermaid's Cave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a bar located somewhere downtown called Mermaid's Cave...in the early-mid 60's...it was advertised as the noisiest bar in Detroit...everyone was given drum sticks to pound on the tables to keep time with the music...a fun place...can't recall exactly where it was located...or how long it lasted.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Library, behind J.L. Hudsons.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue -
Jman almost has it right. It was behind Crowley's east of the library. It was down stairs and there were sticks with balls on the end and you kept time with the music by beating them on the table, or when you wanted another drink. I remember being there one night and when I left, my car ran out of gas, I had to walk to Woodward and about Vernor to find a station that would let me have a gallon of gas without leaving a deposit!

Jman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, it's the 60's and I'm heading south on Woodward and turn left on Grand River, what's that building on the right? It's J.L. Hudsons. I continue heading east on Grand River and I come to a point where Farmer Street and Library Street converge which is directly behind Hudsons. I turn right on Library and go a short half block to find Mermaids Cave on the east side of the street. Just North of the Library which is on the corner of Library and Gratiot and also behind Crowleys.

I think Caldogven and I are both correct. We just arrived there from different directions.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a pretty good DixieLand band that played there and then in the old Newport Hotel on E. Jefferson. What was the name of that group?

Jman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An old acquaintance and co-worker used to play clarinet in that band before he became an asst. d.a. They also played at the Red Garter on Washington Blvd. Their name doesn't come to me right now.
Thanks Rock, I'll probably be awake for days trying to remember the name.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 992
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug Jacob's Red Garter Band.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougie Jacobs!!
I remember him from all the MDA telethon's.
I did not realize that band got its name from the Joint
The Mermaids Cave must have been in the building were Vicente's is now (approximately. Sounds like a swingin' place...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks folks...good memories of the M Cave...I remember being there one night with my roommate...he was pounding on our table with his stick...the ball flew off into the lap of a good lookin' sitting with her friends at the next table...she handed it back to him saying, "Excuse me...I think you lost a ball."...they chatted...he bought her a drink or two...I drove home alone and didn't see him again until the next afternoon...the Cave was a fun place in the 60's.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Garter Band. Thanks Jimg. I see they still have a website of their own so maybe they are still going strong.
"When the Saints Go Marching In" Time to get out those sticks again.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Mermaids Cave from the 60's. I think it was refered to by some as a "black & tan" club-racially diverse clientele. I went by myself after turning 21 in 1964 & thought it was so cool & sophisticated. Of course I had the same opinion of myself at that time. I remember there was a musician-sax player-King Bartel Dynamo of the Sax that played Mermaids frequently. Excellent music. Anyone remember seeing him?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember those sticks with the balls on the ends. But not from the Mermaid Cave. They were called "knockers" at the old strip club Bensons at mound and Davison

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Mermaid's Cave also called The Red Garter and located on Library later in the 60's ('66 -'69)? That's when I remember seeing Doug Jacobs and the Red Garter Band.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a picture said to be taken at the Mermaid's Cave in the late 50s (I think) with Joe Henderson and other modern jazz musicians. Does anyone remember hearing 'modern jazz' at the MC?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.