Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Instead of 'ethnic' schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the newspapers - the mayor's scandal, the lawsuit about sex abuse in women's prisons, the crime, so many negative things - kids need to be trained away from anti-social activities and lifestyles.

How about a few schools that focus on community service? Alongside the basics have classes in problem resolution, community involvement and responsibility, various aspects of how communities work, a class or two a year that works on real community projects in conjunction with businesses or charities.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, we already have this, its called PRISON!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly from my H.S. days the state is in the process of making community service mandatory, for graduation. I always loved the idea of forced volunteering so people would see the good in it. LOL.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They started requiring 40 hours of community involvement in order to graduate from Ontario high schools about 7-8 yrs. ago. It's ridiculous where kids "volunteer" and what gets accepted. Several kids hang around our tennis club to get credit.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was envisioning the classes taking on specific projects instead of just requiring service time. Short projects could be done in one semester. Longer projects could be segmented and spread out across years.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about forcing parents to do community service to their kids who don't graduate.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send them to the Jesuits and they will be just fine.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 972
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2, since you started, how about we make Dads be Dads and bring up their kids instead of me (via mother government) doing it?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.