Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Activism « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a child I was blessed to be in a family of activist in Detroit. I was there to protest the incinerator, church closings, and various other political protests throughout my childhood. Anyone partake in any activism have any pictures or stories?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not been around the area long enough to protest many issues in the city. And as of now am still not a resident of the city. BUT better than being a protester of what seemed to be the inevitable I have been a HUGE advocate of the positive to friends financially inclined to find a home within the city. Activism may be our largest asset to the city. There is an entire generation of young people who have grown up in the burbs and are intrigued by the city and are looking for that "urban" experience. Lets ADVOCATE the positives.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt, I just met a girl in class from Michigan (Mt. Pleasant) and asked her what she thought of Detroit and Grand Rapids, her reply was that shes never been to either but wanted to come to Detroit a couple of years ago for some event at the Fox but she was told downtown is way to dangerous to visit by her ex-boyfriend who had also never been. LOL

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lots of activities and stories. And photos. Why aren't you still active?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 737
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said I am not still an activist and a major city advocate. All I ever want to do in my life is promote change and make a difference here in the D. I am very proud of my city, I have been involved in the Tiger Stadium debate, and Women in Black most recently but would not limit myself to focusing on any one issue.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Did you see the activist list handed out by MECAWI at the MLK Day march? Lots of beloved community links.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't does anyone have it to post?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know for a fact that some of the forumers write lots of letters. Does that count?

Personally, I took part in the boycott of The Traffic Jam & Snug. I got no pictures, though.

(Message edited by dds on February 01, 2008)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3776
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's their list (with a few additions). I'll get some more later.

Forgotten Harvest
www.forgottenharvest.org

Alternative for girls
www.alternativeforgirls.org

Detroit Radio Information Service (DRIS)
www.wdetfm.org/dris

Gleaners Food Bank
www.gcfb.org

Central United Methodist Church
lunches and clothing for the homeless
313 965-5422

Pro-literacy Detroit
www.proliteracydetroit.org

Hatibat for Humanity

www.habitatdetroit.org
Ruth Ellis Support Center (LGBT safe space)
313 964-2091

Meals on Wheels
313 964-6325

Women Arise
(re-integrating women after being in the legal system)
313 758-0602

Motor City Blight Busters
www.blightbusters.org

St. Leo's Soup Kitchen
313-897-6565

Boggs Center
http://www.boggscenter.org/

Southeastern Michigan Jobs with Justice
(currently working on the nurses struggle at DMC)
313 961-0800

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.