Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Update on Riverwalk Passenger Terminal / Brownfield Conference in May « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an encouraging update from John Kerr of the Port Authority on the Passenger Terminal to be constructed along the Riverwalk between the RenCen and Hart Plaza, and information on an opportunity in May to find out more about development activities in Detroit:

Passenger Terminal location

Location of Passenger Terminal

Well, I'm getting very excited as I think we are very close to some visual progress on the site. As of late, we've been getting our 100% drawings approved by the Federal Highway Administration and MDOT. Both have been great partners, as of late. They both had very minimal comments, which has allowed us to pursue subcontractors for the project. We are fielding bids in order to formulate the price of the project, which has to be guaranteed due to the specificity of funds we have. We are in that process right now. We are talking weeks, not months to do this.

Since we are hosting the EPA's National Brownfield Conference in May, I'm determined to have much underway by then. I would like to say that by the beginning of April, we should be visually underway. I can't tell you a reason right now why that would not be possible, but with all of these variables out there, something can always come up. You've been as informed as anyone on this project amongst the public, so you can appreciate the "delay" possibilities.

Please pass along to your network that the City of Detroit will be hosting the EPA National Brownfields Conference. The Port Authority is part of the Host Committee and we are encouraging everyone locally to attend ... the conference is free! It's May 5-7 and there should be some interesting sessions, especially for groups who are attune to brownfield redevelopment here in Detroit, like yourself and your network. Just Google "Detroit 2008 EPA Brownfield Conference."

E-Mail me back the first of March to find out where we are ... I should have a much better read.

John

More information: http://www.portdetroit.com/econdev/grantsmgmt/grantsmgmt_dock.htm

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds very interesting. Seems like we're moving forward after all despite Kwame's (screw)-up.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they had the mechanical and electrical out as a design/build bid recently, I think

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seems like we're moving forward after all despite Kwame's (screw)-up."

Is every project really that dependent on a few text messages? Sad state of technological affairs if that is the case. Seems as though development would be more dependent on economic conditions/demand than text messaging--even more so for a nearly publicly funded project...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.