Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bottom of the Great Lakes. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you buy a map of the bottom of the Great Lakes, how they are shaped and what they look like.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, go to a good boating store. They have depth charts for all the waterways in the US.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some maps online that show this. Looks like you can order posters from them as well.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/g reatlakes/greatlakes.html

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/g reatlakes/michigan.html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6230
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, Lake Superior is by far the deepest (over 1,300 ft.), followed by Lake Michigan (over 900 ft. deep)... followed by Lake Ontario (over 700 ft. deep)... then Lake Huron at about 583 ft. deep, with Lake Erie by far the shallowest at only 208 ft. deep.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats pretty exact for "recalling" Gistok. Crazy

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"IIRC, Lake Superior is by far the deepest (over 1,300 ft.), followed by Lake Michigan (over 900 ft. deep)... "

Which, of course, means that the deepest depths of those lakes are well below sea level. That fact always fascinated me for some reason.

Gistok

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit... I have this quirky (but useless) ability to remember statistics!

Hell if I can remember that 3 of the most massive mountains in the continental US, about 800 miles from each other, only have about a 85 ft. difference in elevation!

Mt. Whitney in CA - 14,495 ft. tall (highest in the Sierra Nevada)

Mt. Elbert in CO - 14,431 ft. tall (highest in the Rockies)

Mt. Rainier in WA - 14,411 ft. tall (highest in the Cascades)

... then it tells ya that I'm nuts! :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on January 30, 2008)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who posts on DetroitYES! long enough should know just how low things go around here. :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hell if I can remember that 3 of the most massive mountains in the continental US, about 800 miles from each other, only have about a 85 ft. difference in elevation...then it tells ya that I'm nuts!

No, the fact that you still play with Legos tells us you are nuts.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha - both are interesting traits. I did have a dream about legos last night though... Odd....

Gistok

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes... but with nearly 70,000 adult members, 2,881 online stores containing over 79 million elements worldwide... I am not alone... :-)

http://www.bricklink.com/

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they only did NOT have categories on rock music, hollywood personalities, English Lit, or poetry (which they always have at least one of) I'd be an undefeated Jeopardy! champ.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little_buddy, if I understand your question, you’re thinking of a relief type of map similar to the Michigan map in the link below, correct? http://www.worldmapsonline.com /hs960michiganstatemaprr.htm

If that’s the case, I don’t know of any companies commercially selling such a map for the underwater topography of the Great Lakes. There is the fabulous giant map in the Dossin Museum showing the underwater topography of the Great Lakes. There’s also a giant version of the Niagara Escarpment in the museum at the Visitors Centre at Lock 3 in St. Catharines in Ontario (it’s on the Welland Canal).

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Which, of course, means that the deepest depths of those lakes are well below sea level."

Just out of curiosity...why is that surprising? After all, the shallowest part of every ocean is also below sea level, i.e., below the surface of the sea. The fact that Lakes Superior, Michigan etc. are below sea level at their deepest points doesn't mean that they are anywhere near as deep as the deepest parts of the ocean. Even the bottom of the Mississippi River at New Orleans is nearly 200 feet below sea level.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've also found that interesting mainly because we're 570-600 feet above sea level on the upper lakes. But what I find more interesting is that the bottoms of Superior and Ontario are below the average depth of the Continental Shelf.

Rampart... Do you mean 20 feet? I'm pretty sure the Mississippi isn't 200 feet deep. And again it makes sense to be below sea level at sea level but as high as we are is where the interest factor comes in.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4895
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was a thread about Hoffa.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one Johnlodge. rofl.gif

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mississip has to be more than 20 ft. deep at Nawlin's...but 200 sounds awfully high.

I always thought Jimmy went into an Eastern Market area rendering plant and became dog food.

Does anyone know the depth of Lake St. Clair?

Elsuperbob

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake St. Clair is 21 feet deep at its deepest, naturally, but because that's too shallow for shipping it has a 27 feet deep shipping channel.

Elsuperbob

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently 200 is correct which is much deeper than I would have thought. And to me that is just as amazing as the lake facts.

I know the Amazon is deeper than that at the mouth but didn't think the Mississippi had near enough flow to get close. But then it isn't nearly as wide so that's where the difference comes in.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at a map of the Mackinaw Straits and you can clearly see the remains of the river that once flowed through there. It was really cool to see.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mississippi at New Orleans bends into a tight "U" shape--the flow of the river is from left to right in this pic. The deepest part of the River (approx 200 feet deep) occurs at the outside of the sharp bend shown in this photo where the river's current has carved an underwater canyon into the wall of the river bank. If you ever ride one of the tour boats there you will see whirlpools on the surface as a result of the turbulence beneath.

MIssissippi River at New Orleans

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sources say Lake Huron's maximum depth is 750 ft.

For instance see:

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0, 1607,7-135-3313_3677-15926--,0 0.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.