Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Something Amazing... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I unfortunately no longer reside in the Detroit area for the time being, I am forced to relive home looking through photo pages like flikr and DetroitYes.

The thing that surprises me the most, is that, when I show people the beautiful abandoned buildings and city scapes, people are in awe of just how beautiful Detroit's habitable space truly is. Granted, I work in an architecture firm with some well known architects.

What really gets me, is the comments of, "No one lives in those, or uses them" or "If we could have half of those buildings in our city, it would be fantastic!" Only for me to realize that back home, those same amazing structures are being pissed on, torn down, and left to rot by the slum lords an politicians who control them, or have the ability to make a difference but choose not to.

Perhaps the time is right for us as lovers and loyalists of Detroit to make an indelible impression on our leaders to open their eyes to the jewels we have waiting to be polished and reinvigorated.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try calling the Mayor.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to rain on your parade, but what do you propose we do to make such an impression? I'm pretty sure that most civic leaders would fill every building Detroit has along with the vacant office parks in suburbia, but they've got this recession on and something tells me the money isn't going to be pouring in anytime soon. Good thoughts aren't going to do millions in renovation work.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem isn't political leaders or slumlords...nor is it a lack of interest in that type of architecture...

It's a lack of interest in the LOCATION of that architecture...

If many of these gems could have been moved elsewhere, I'm confidant they would have...

D_mcc

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a start would be electing a competent public official and city council that has the best interests of the public good in mind, rather than personal political gain.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll get right on that.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_MCC, now you're sounding like someone with a political agenda as opposed to an historic preservationist. These buildings, David Stott, Book, etc. are basically available for free along with tax abatements for job creation, etc. etc. What exactly do you propose these honest politicians we elect should do?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

texting might be a better option

D_mcc

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess all I was trying to say is that though we are a large group, an overall change in mindset in the general population to appreciate the structures we have in our back yard might foster some new interest in Downtown as a business and residential clime.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

an overall change in mindset in the general population to appreciate the structures we have in our back yard might foster some new interest in Downtown as a business and residential clime.

Yeah, it is always pretty easy to effect an "overall change in the mindset of the general population".

I dare say it would be better and more efficient to try and change the mind of one or two business leaders.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.