Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Uncle Jessie White Passes Away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I copied this from the Detroit Blues Society myspace to pass on.. Dave

Detroit Blues Legend Leaves us at 87

Uncle Jessie White, beloved family man and Detroit blues elder statesman, went home to be with the angels on January 29, 2008 at the age of 87.

Jessie left many adoring family and friends mourning his passing as he touched so many lives. Jessie moved to Detroit in 1950 after spending his youth picking cotton in the fields of Mississippi and playing in local juke joints in Jackson. During the riots of 1967, when many blues and jazz clubs closed in Detroit, Uncle Jessie White and his family hosted weekend blues sessions that lasted throughout the night. The jam sessions were held on the weekends from Friday evening after work, until Monday morning - only stopping for the weekdays so that the musicians could go back to the assembly lines in Detroit's auto factories. Blues musicians, students of blues and curious neighbors came from miles around to witness and dance at the weekend long house parties. The sessions continued through 1971 and are well-known for the local and national talent that passed through to play at the famous house.

Jessie taught many Detroit musicians during those jam sessions and became a mentor and father figure to many more. Jessie also traveled throughout Michigan, the United States and Germany, playing his music, leaving his warmth and charm wherever he went. He played at many Detroit blues clubs such as at the famous former Soup Kitchen where he ran the weekly jam sessions. His 20-year-tenure recently ended at the former Attic Bar in Hamtramck, where he led the famous Detroit 29th Street Blues band on the piano. Jessie’s fans will never forget his home made ‘rig,’ which held his harmonica and microphone. Blues Factory records helped to record his music on CD in 1991, and his fans can still listen to his sweet singing for many years to come.

Jessie was preceeded in death by his wife, Lillian White. He and his wife raised nine children: Jessie Lee White, Sherry White, Roselyn White, Danita Denham (Calvin), Janet Webb, David White, Anthony White, Derrick White (Renee), Pam White (Gregory).
He also had 24 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren: L’Shae, Marquise, Kenneth Jr., Michael, > Jr., Romell Jr., Dontae, Javontay. He is also survived by his sister, Martha Ann Kent (Robert), and was preceeded in death by his sister and brother, Mary Riley and Lee Dell Holley (daughter Laura).

Jessie can be viewed at the Gates of Heaven funeral home at 4412 Livernois, just north of Michigan Avenue – dates and time still TBD. Burial will follow next to his wife, and grandson.

Anne Marie Graham-Hudak, Angelo Willis
agrahamhudak@hotmail.com
Canton, MI
734-502-2508

Steve Allen
Detroit Blues Society

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 551
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He used to play at Alden's Alley in Royal Oak in the late 70's.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fortunate enough to wander into the Scarab Club on Sunday afternoon a few years back only to discover a Boogie Woogie Piano Summit. It was the first time I saw Uncle Jessie and I will never forget him. RIP Uncle Jessie

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4843
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is truly sad. Uncle Jessie was a sweet guy as well as a great musician and performer

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fortunate enough to see Uncle Jessie in the mid-late 70s, If I recall correctly, through my hazy memory of that era, Pine Top Perkins joined in for an hour or so, quite late. RIP Uncle Jessie, one of our finest.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the post. I had the pleasure of seeing him several imes at the "Attic". he will be missed. geri in St. clair Shores

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appreciators of blues and Uncle Jesse,

There will be a jam session tonight at Nancy Whiskey's in honor of Uncle Jessie!! Donations will be accepted at the door, with all proceeds going directly to the funeral home. This is being hosted by Cathy Davis and Ginger to raise needed funds for the funeral. Please pass on this info to your friends. Doors will be open at 7pm.

www.nancywhiskeypub.com
2644 Harrison St
Detroit, MI 48216
(313) 962-4247

Also funeral arrangements:

Viewing for Uncle Jessie White will be Tuesday, February 5th at:

Gates of Heaven Funeral Home
4412 Livernois Ave
Detroit, MI 48210
(313) 894-2427
(Just North of Michigan Avenue)

Funeral will be Wednesday February 6th at 11:00am.

Anyone wishing to contribute to help defray expenses, please make your donation directly to the funeral home, directed to defray funeral expenses for Jessie White.

Uncle Jesse's myspace site:
www.myspace.com/unclejessiewhi teandthe29thstreetband

Postbop

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appreciators of blues and Uncle Jesse,

There will be a jam session tonight at Nancy Whiskey's in honor of Uncle Jessie!! Donations will be accepted at the door, with all proceeds going directly to the funeral home. This is being hosted by Cathy Davis and Ginger to raise needed funds for the funeral. Please pass on this info to your friends. Doors will be open at 7pm.

http://www.nancywhiskeydetroit .com
2644 Harrison St
Detroit, MI 48216
(313) 962-4247

Also funeral arrangements:

Viewing for Uncle Jessie White will be Tuesday, February 5th at:

Gates of Heaven Funeral Home
4412 Livernois Ave
Detroit, MI 48210
(313) 894-2427
(Just North of Michigan Avenue)

Funeral will be Wednesday February 6th at 11:00am.

Anyone wishing to contribute to help defray expenses, please make your donation directly to the funeral home, directed to defray funeral expenses for Jessie White.

Uncle Jesse's myspace site:
www.myspace.com/unclejessiewhi teandthe29thstreetband

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Uncle Jessie and the 29th Street Band many times at the Attic. Loved going to listen to him. He will be missed.

Geo_t
Username: Geo_t

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really sorry to hear this. I used to jam regularly with Uncle Jessie back in the late '80s to early '90s at the Attic and he was always so kind and accommodating, not to mention a true Detroit legend.

Detroittrader
Username: Detroittrader

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...that sucks :-( I saw that cat circa 1987/88 at the Attic. His band was pretty damn good. RIP

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the link above to Nancy whiskey is for some other Nancy whiskey.

Postbop

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

corktown,

I corrected that on my 2nd post- go to that link for Nancy Whiskeys.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.