Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Cooley Brother's Block In Corktown / Mercury Coffee Shop + Bakery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard rumors of this for a few days, but just noticed it on ModelD:

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/mercury12808.aspx

The abandoned Mercury Bar is reopening as Mercury Coffee Shop. This really shores up that area.

What's changed there In the past two-three years:

Slow's (Phil Cooley Owned)
Slow's Patio (Phil Cooley Owned)
Abandoned hole next to Slow's boarded up and decorated
Music Studio across the street (decorated by Phil Cooley)
O'Conner Realty Opened (Ryan Cooley owned)
Mercury Coffee Shop Opening

I find it amazing what the investment made by the Cooleys' has done. For all that is said: "Quicken this" and "Bank of America that" (which is amazing) it's important to think about the powerful and wonderful contributions made to communities on only a slightly smaller scale by dedicated small business owners such as Claire at Bureau + Liz at K9to5, Joe @ Mez, The Cooley Bros. on this block, and Anne and Jackie at Avalon.

Why has Slow's, a wonderful business, generated SO much interest in this block... I mean, it's a great restaurant, but wow.

It was sort of a dump before. Why was it chosen?

What is next here?

Do the Cooley's own the whole Slow's block aside from LJs and the pawn shop?

What will happen to LJs (hopefully nothing! I love it) or the pawn shop?

What do you think this coffee shop will be like?

(Message edited by andylinn on January 28, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11272
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beleieve that the Cooley brothers have been buying properties on that block.

They deserve a lot of credit for what they are doing. I would take 100 Cooley brothers over one major developer anyday. The neighborhood investment is what is needed in the long run to really make a difference for the city.

Congratulations and thanks to the Cooley brothers.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the perfect use for this corner. Beautiful.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So nice to see someone who puts their money where their mouth is, Some of these large developers should see what can be done . People are growing very weiry of all of these developments being announced/rejoiced about etc, with no follow up..If your not confident of actually proceeding why bother with all the hoop la.. Kudos to the Cooley brothers

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This area is really moving along, its great. Now if only things could start moving in the direction of Xavier's, Izzy's Raw Art, and Zietgiest we would be all set.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4856
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some years down the road, people are going to be smacking themselves for not staking out their own claim in and around downtown. These guys have a nice little empire started. I hope my predictions are true, and they are rewarded for what they are doing.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope this gets added to future Detroit Synergy Java Junket bike tours!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when is the Mercury Bar opening? I thought it was Fall 2005?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4499
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why has Slow's, a wonderful business, generated SO much interest in this block..." They worked hard, had cajones, and produce a super product which goes to show that that where all other flee and cry doom, the thoughtful laugh all the way to the bank.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Michigan Avenue has proven to be very resilient. Many thought the abandonment of Tiger Stadium spelled doom for its businesses, particularly the bars and clubs, but it didn't seem to even to cause a hiccup and indeed it has improved. The presence of the vibrant Corktown neighborhood certainly helps, but does explain it all.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.