Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Great Ford/Europe cars we missed out on « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4751
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, with the Verve apparently a go, we finally get some ford eurocar action here.

things we've missed:

Ford Puma
Ka
euro focus (esp the cabriolet!)
Mondeo

or the 217 hp fiesta?

(Message edited by rb336 on January 28, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4827
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Camino enthusiasts wish GM would sell this car here. :-)

http://www.holden.com.au/www-h olden/action/vehicleentry?vehi cleid=15

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should say that Johnlodge. In the Feb. issue of MotorTrend, they announced that that vehicle would be sold here as a Pontiac. The pickup version will be called the G8 ST and there will be a wagon called the G8 SW!

Yes we really did miss out on the Focus. The Mondeo was a Contour for many years and now is very much like a Fusion. The Puma was pretty cool but I'd rather have a Cougar.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4829
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding Kslice? Do you think there's a market for it here? Why that over, say, an HHR type vehicle?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6522
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb - from what I understand the new 3 door Verve, is replacing the Fiesta in Europe.

However the UK Focus, blows away the NA version.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6523
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the Ford UK Lineup:

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/all_c ars/-/-/-/-/-/-

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Holden cars look good. I want a car with the steering wheel on the right!

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the Focus has discontinued the hatchback version.

Big misstep IMO.

Looks like I'll be driving my 03' ZX5 until they bring one back.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4833
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that Matt. I plan on keeping mine until I'm sick of working on it. Good car, enjoyable drive, surprising amount of cargo capacity.

I love how the interior of a lot of Ford cars really show they thought about ergonomics to the driver, as opposed to catering equally to both front occupants. Screw the passenger!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great cars. Too bad they are far too expensive to sell here. The european 3 door focus starts at $28,000 (£14000).

The US version of the focus starts at $14,000 in order to compete in this market. I'm sure they could make the US version just as nice as the european version, if you were willing to pay $28,000. We in the US just aren't willing to pay that kind of price for a tiny little focus.

I could buy a Reasonably loaded Escape or Taurus for the the price of that base european Focus.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM has a really cool built-in bike rack that folds in and out of the rear bumper, but it supposedly did not pass US safety tests :-(
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/1 0/04/have-bike-will-travel-the -opel-antaras-hideaway-bike-ra ck/

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where can I get one of those rag top Focus's with the steering on the right, way too cool!

Rb336

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Australia has a "falcon ute" i'd like to see as well as what SHOULD have happened to the crown vic

Rb336

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw 11K for the euro focus or $22k

Ndavies

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i saw 11K for the euro focus or $22k

OK, so it's 50% more expensive than the US version, Not %100. My point's still valid.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6210
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... and then there's the Opel Vectra and Astra... I drove them (rentals) back in the 1990's when visiting Germany, and was very impressed with them, even for a small car.

Do they still make those? Or how about the Ford Taunus? (a different model from the Taurus)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Astra is coming in march as a saturn.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford Transit should be making it's way over here pretty soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cey rnKkMXnY

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rb336

Ford Australia has a "falcon ute" i'd like to see as well as what SHOULD have happened to the crown vic.

The problem with the Australian Falcon is there is not a current production LHD version that can be modded to meet FMVSS/NHTSA regs. Way too much cost involved to create a LHD version for the North American market.

The Falcon is a blast to drive,5.4L 4V non smog with a six speed goes pretty quick!

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mazda3 and the new Volvo C30 are both based on the European Focus platform.

According to one story I read, Ford doesn't want to switch the US Focus to the same platform (yet) because the resulting vehicle would cost roughly the same as the Fusion.

Also, Ford would have to rename the Ka in the US, unless they want us all to sound like we're from Boston.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wanted a Ford Cortina because of that Clash song "Janie Jones." Then somebody told me it looked like a Fairmont and I was crushed! :-)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite as ugly as a fairmont. But pretty close. My cousin had a 74 Ford Cortina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F ord_Cortina

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fyi: the wagon version of the pontiac G8 sourced from holden is a non-starter.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mello r/mellor.nsf/story2/59DB1B5AFB 7D4B1ACA2573D10014EB68

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at the new Saturn Astra, a rebadged Opel from GM's European subsidiary, at the auto show and was very impressed. That hatchback (my favorite type of vehicle) has great cargo space, excellent fuel economy and sharp exterior styling. The interior was nothing to brag about, but what do you expect for a car that starts under $16,000.

That car deserves to do well here.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, NDavis. Quite right, not as ugly as a Fairmont. Some of the older ones look fun, anyway. Mark I even has a vestigial tailfin. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.