Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'That's how you keep it real!' « Previous Next »
Archive through January 28, 2008Goat30 01-28-08  4:41 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So which one is it? Poor with no resources and bring your car in and pay to get it fixed or poor equals trashy?"

If there's no place off-street, like a driveway, garage, or parking lot to do the work, then, YES, take it to a repair shop.

So... sorry, tough crap. Too bad, so sad. Life isn't always fair.

Successful communities have LAWS about things like this, and they are enforced.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Successful communities have LAWS about things like this, and they are enforced.

I choose not to live in communities that have large numbers of unnecessary laws against behaviors that don't harm anyone. I'd rather fund a police department that will protect me from being robbed or murdered than one that just cruises around town issuing stupid tickets to people for being "trashy."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4846
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this:

FIXING your car in the street = let it slide.

Dissasembled car in street all week = clean that schitt up, the street isn't a backyard in Howell, this is civilization.

Fury13

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd rather fund a police department that will protect me from being robbed or murdered than one that just cruises around town issuing stupid tickets to people for being 'trashy.'"

In general, police departments that issue tickets for blight are even tougher on robbers, car thieves, murderers, etc.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would they not be even more effective at preventing robberies, murders and car thefts if they stopped issuing tickets for people working on cars in the street and focused only on serious crimes? I don't consider someone working on their car in the street "blight," (or "trashy," for that matter) but even if I thought it in some way undesirable I wouldn't want police to focus on something like that.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is this thread still alive?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4848
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, your argument assumes the DPD drive around issuing citations for not keeping property up. From my experience, this is not true. So basically, they are neither effective at preventing robberies, nor preventing blight. That's 0 for 2!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10063
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because people say stupid things without looking at all of angles on a given topic. They would rather blather about and tell people what they can and cannot do when it does little to no harm in the community.

Johnlodge, that I can agree with and it makes sense.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bearinabox, your argument assumes the DPD drive around issuing citations for not keeping property up. From my experience, this is not true. So basically, they are neither effective at preventing robberies, nor preventing blight. That's 0 for 2!

I would agree with that. My intent was not to hold up DPD as an example of how police departments should function.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4850
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side note:

One time I lived in Southfield and a city car pulled into my driveway that said "Weed Patrol" on the side with the Southfield City logo. I got worried for a second, then realized my lawn needed cutting.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, that seems like a good compromise. I don't have a problem with streedside car repair, and the whole suburban squeaky-clean ideal has always seemed tied up in classism. At the same time, I wonder if the broken windows theory applies here.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work on cars wherever they are. Granted, it wouldn't be for more than a day or two but I certainly wouldn't give a shit what anyone's opinion on the matter was.

While the detroitblog guy is generally pretty spot-on, he makes several assumptions. First, not everyone works Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. I don't. I had Mondays and Tuesdays off for years so if I wanted to have a beer on my day off while I changed the axel shaft on my car, it had to be in the afternoon during the week. Also, it is not a jack holding the car up, it is a jack stand which is the safest way to work under a car for the home mechanic. Lastly, while the person was enjoying a beer, he was apparently motivated enough to get up in the morning, get a beer, jack up the car, support it with a jack stand, lay down a piece of rubber to lay on, remove the tire, remove the caliper and rotor, remove the hub, remove the axel and (presumably) go to the auto parts store to get a new axel. Doesn't sound like he's a slacker to me.

Lastly,
quote:

One of the many reasons we moved from Detroit

Paul, nobody misses you or your attitude. If I had been your neighbor, I would have spear-headed the initiative to gather donations to help you move.

Fury13

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the same time, I wonder if the broken windows theory applies here.

I think it definitely applies.

And I WILL call the police on any of MY neighbors who work on their cars in the street. I don't want to see it. End of story.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the bottle was a convenient container for bleeding the brakes?

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best line yet ^, Buddy.

The curbside mechanic is a recycler who deserves a bit more respect, y'all.
x

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cheddar did you also help to break into our house?

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And I WILL call the police on any of MY neighbors who work on their cars in the street.

I'm sure they'll get right on it, too. Because satisfying the tedious demands of busybody neighbors is pretty high on the to-do list of any police department that serves communities of more than 20,000 people. As a suggestion, you might get along better with your neighbors if you talk to them first about their problems instead of immediately calling the police. Or maybe you could offer to lend a hand. You would get to know your neighbors better, do a good deed, and solve your perceived problem faster. Or you be an asshole and just call the police on them.

Paul, I didn't help break into your house, but with your pessimistic attitude, I can see why they targeted you. They probably broke into your house because they talked to you for more than 5 minutes and felt they needed reimbursement for putting up with your bullshit.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4865
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, THAT'S why his house got broken into. His pessimistic attitude.

LY must get robbed daily.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And citylover must have nothing in his house.

Fury13

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a suggestion, you might get along better with your neighbors if you talk to them first about their problems instead of immediately calling the police. Or maybe you could offer to lend a hand. You would get to know your neighbors better, do a good deed, and solve your perceived problem faster. Or you be an asshole and just call the police on them.

Ah, yes, well maybe I'd rather just be an asshole (like the jerks who call Animal Control about my dogs without first talking to me). But, you DO seem to have all the answers, Bob, so please, continue to enlighten.

FYI, I always talk to my neighbors first and have a good relationship with them. That said, I still don't want to see engine overhauls or brake jobs done in my street.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not see any worthwhile reason for having a problem with someone working on their car in the street in front of their dwelling.
However, if your damned dog is on the loose, bounding up and down the street and presenting a potential danger, don't start whining if somebody shoots it. I would much rather have a guy working on his car in the street than a clown who doesn't keep his animals under control.

Fury13

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No dogs on the loose, ever, Ravine. They're always under control and they're very quiet most of the time. Long story... and off topic, and I'd rather not get into it, but suffice to say that some zealots out there think they know more about my animals than I do.

As for the curbside mechanic phenomenon, it hasn't happened in my neighborhood, and, again, I hope that it doesn't.

Goat

Post Number: 10070
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky that your neighbours don't bitch about your dogs Fury13.
Personally, I think people who own more than two dogs should have the police called on them for not only the noise pollution but also for the stink from their defacation.

I think the broken theory applies to people with lots of dogs. Are you training to fight them because that is what is "seems" be from my perception?

Some zealots think they know more about a persons financial position than the individual.

Fury13

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have TWO dogs, Goat. I live in a built-up area. I'm allowed three, by municipal ordinance.

They are bona fide sled dogs, from racing lines, for God's sake. They work out in harness with another musher's team during the winter. They get the best food, fresh water, and the dog pen is cleaned twice a day, meticulously. They rarely bark.

And for the record, I think people who raise dogs for fighting are sickos.

Before talking out of your ass and assuming things, ask what the situation is, please.

So now you're a champion for the poor? Please. I'm not rich myself. But there's no nobility in poverty, either. Again, poor doesn't have to equal ghetto or trashy.

Goat

Post Number: 10080
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take your own advice there Fury13.

I agree poor doesn't have to equal ghetto or trashy. But working on a car in front of a person's house for a day doesn't constitute trashy. Now leaving it there for a week, that is another story.
As you stated. Before talking our of your ass and assuming things, ask what the situation is, please.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellas, fellas, I think you are closer than you are far on this issue. You are just both picturing the extremes of the issue in your head when posting. Fury doesn't want his neighborhood trashed up by people who simply choose not to maintain their property, which you see a lot of in parts of Detroit, while Goat thinks you gotta cut a little slack here and there and be reasonable as long as the neighbors aren't taking advantage of a situation.

It's really just a random picture on a blog, none of us know the real situation, though it was fun to speculate.

Fury13

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But working on a car in front of a person's house for a day doesn't constitute trashy.

For part of a day, I could let it slide. Otherwise, I still disagree with you.

And you (and Ravine) were still WAY off base in your comments on my situation. But hell, that's off topic anyway. Maybe you just don't like dogs.

You don't even live in metro Detroit, do you? Aren't you Canadian? Canadians keep it much cleaner over there, even in Windsor, which I understand is considered the ugliest city in Ontario.

A brake drum laying in the street leads to trash in the yard, which leads to peeling paint, which leads to siding falling off, which leads to porch parties, burglaries, and what have you.

Yes, I definitely believe in the broken-window theory.

Fury13

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge -- the voice of reason.

Fury doesn't want his neighborhood trashed up by people who simply choose not to maintain their property, which you see a lot of in parts of Detroit...

Exactly.

Goat

Post Number: 10083
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor sure is ugly. I liken it to soviet architecture.
By the way, I do love dogs I have a Boston Terrier that is a bit of a pain but she is just a puppy.

Johnlodge, I agree.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hugs & Kisses between Goat & Fury. :-)

My view of the neighbor's yard across the canal is a semi junkyard with a boat that hasn't run in over 15 years, a truck covered with a tarp that hasn't run since it arrived a few years ago, burn barrel, rusted outdoor furniture. Etc.

All within the zoning ordinance since it is in the "backyard".

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury - One of my neighbors turned another of my neighbors in for having a barking terrier. This is a "nice" neighborhood. This same family with the dog - their daughter was State Champion for 3 years with her horse at the State Fair. Every summer for about 9 days they had their horse trailer in front of their house. The same neighbor called the police and they were ticketed for the trailer.
Well, this past fall, over the dog - the police came to the house to issue the ticket. The police - two of them - deemed that she was not "respectful" enough in identifying herself in the proccess of giving her the ticket. She was arrested and booked.
I would never - but there are some people - I would gladly put a car up on blocks just to get them the heck out of the neighborhood. I am only making a joke....but the thought has crossed my mind. I pick up the &^%$ in my lawn, in my neighbor's lawns if it is blowing, and I pick the *&^% the recycling people don't get in the process... Watch those barking dogs!

Fury13

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, Carol, my dogs hardly ever bark.

No, what the zealots don't like is that they're outside dogs, year-round. They have shelter, bedding, regularly-changed water, and I clean up twice a day. They get high-quality, high-performance food. They're also contained in a large 30' X 30' pen and I interact with them daily. They are racing Siberian Huskies, working sled dogs, and are very acclimated to the cold. The breed can live in temps as low as -70 F and, as a rule, prefer to be outdoors. They enjoy cold temperatures and often curl up in the snow to sleep.

So... well-meaning, yet ignorant, people just can't believe they should be outside. They don't do their research on the breed, and instead just call Animal Control before talking to me. I now have a sign up on my back fence explaining about them -- and even giving my phone number -- so perhaps that will help end the ignorant calls to AC. So far, the nonsense has occurred every winter.

My apologies for straying so far off topic.

(Message edited by Fury13 on January 30, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11309
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

now have a sign up on my back fence explaining about them -- and even giving my phone number

Sounds like that wouldn't be the most attractive thing for the neighborhood. :-)

Fury13

Post Number: 3731
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pretty nice sign. I had it professionally made, and it cost me over $100.

Good one, though, Jt1. :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 is correct when saying that I was "WAY off base." I jumped to a faulty inference.
I don't want to hear folks' dogs barking all damned day & night, either, but I spouted off on an entirely different matter.
I was wrong.
My sincere apology to Fury13.

Fury13

Post Number: 3736
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ravine. Much appreciated.

Ravine

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I likewise appreciate your graciousness, as it seems that you are willing to overlook the obvious fact that, on occasion, the amount of bone in my head greatly exceeds the amount of brain.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn the camera and look at the gold colored car.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2549+field+ Dr/,+Detroit/,+MI+48214/,+USA& sll=42.362365/,-83.007417&sspn =0.00696/,0.01442&layer=c&ie=U TF8&ll=42.36254/,-83.007481&sp n=0.00696/,0.01442&t=h&z=16&iw loc=addr&om=0&cbll=42.358971/, -83.007732&cbp=1/,280.12499999 99999/,0/,0/,21.07142857142857 3

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the car that I see everyday on my way down the street. This is my block. This car, along with two others have been sitting there due to a curbfront mechanic and I'm sick of it.

I'm calling to report it as soon as one of our other neighbors (another forumer who doesn't muck up the block) gets thier car running again.

Incidently, Fareastsider, if you're considering 2549 Field as a residence, you'd love the neighborhood. This is a three BR brick home with a lot of nice details for less than $30,000. It has a big back yard and with only a little bit of work, you'd have a real treasure in a fine neighborhood. If you haven't already, use Google to "drive" up the street and see how nice.

And BTW, 2549 is the one with the dumpster in front. You have to pass it then look back to get a clear view.

And since you're all in the neighborhood, you may as well keep driving north until you see the Water and Sewerage Department barricade that was set up two years ago, and then finally removed this winter when the repairs were started. There's a thread around here somewhere that documented the beginning of the saga!
(Message edited by Eric C. on February 12, 2008)

(Message edited by Eric C. on February 12, 2008)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mention that as I ended up there by looking at a nearby house on the street for sale online.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I ask which house?

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an across the street neighbor with a driveway and garage and he usually has no fewer than six cars in the street in various states of disrepair.

It's always fun to have company over and have them park down the block because this tool thinks he owns the street. Talking to him rationally produces a finger in my face.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to call the police and have them issue tickets. It's against the law and they WILL enforce it - if you call.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.