Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Northwood Inn on Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Msu4two
Username: Msu4two

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, does anyone remember the Northwood Inn on Woodward and Catalpa in Berkley? My son is doing a research paper on what is now a medical building there. We found out that it used to be the Northwood Inn, and then it became The Old Spaghetti Factory. Does anyone know around which years it was either one of these restaurants? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Robin

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Msu4two!!

We remember The Old Spaghetti Factory in the mid- to late-1980s. And Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle was in the Factory "complex". Saw comedians Robert Wuhl and Bob Saget there in May 1988. Within a couple years, the place had burned down.

Have you been in touch with the Berkley Public Library (http://www.berkley.lib.mi.us/) or Berkley Historical Museum (http://www.berkleymich.org/web /museum.asp)?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took my prom date to the Northwood Inn in 1959.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember eating at the Spaghetti Factory when I was a kid. This would have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s. The medical building went up sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 520
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too ate at the Spaghetti Factory in the 80s as a kid with my parents. I remember when it went out of business and became the Comedy Castle. I believe the medical building had a big grand opening which I went to sometime in the early 90s.

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a postcard.
Northwood

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use to go there in the 40's and 50's. Great frog legs!

Msu4two

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for all the great memories, and all your help......we really appreciate it!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spoke with someone tonight who mentioned that Ozzie and Harriet Nelson appeared at the Northwood Inn way back when.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live 5 houses down from that corner! Didn't realize what used to be there.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the present medical building has history!! Now called Northpointe Medical Plaza, it originally was populated with mostly or all Providence Hospital doctors and services. I belive that most, if not all of its "residents," are associated with Beaumont Hospital.

Ced
Username: Ced

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library's main building?

Msu4two

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I haven't been to the Burton Historical Collection.....we'll have to take a trip there to see what information is available. My son and husband visited the Berkley Historical Museum today. There was a great deal of info on the Northwood Inn, but not much on the Old Spaghetti Factory. I guess it was only there for a few years. The Northwood Inn was supposed to have wonderful food, and they were known for their frog legs, as someone had mentioned they enjoyed there. It's too bad they're gone, it looked like a beautiful restaurant. If anyone knows where I might find a picture of the Old Spaghetti Factory, please let me know. Thanks so much!!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6519
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a chain of restaurants in Canada called the Old Spaghetti Factory. I have eaten at one on the west coast, there is also one in Toronto, any relation?

http://www.oldspaghettifactory .ca/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.