Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Great Winter City Escape « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the awesome Model D:
http://www.modeldmedia.com/int henews/weekend12708.aspx?utm_c ampaign=Cool%20Kids%20Love%20D etroit&utm_medium=Email&utm_so urce=VerticalResponse&utm_term =Chicago%20Tribune%20urges%20r eaders%20to%20check%20out%20De troit%20for%20a%20weekend
Detroit In The News
January 22, 2008
Chicago Tribune urges readers to check out Detroit for a weekend
Source: Chicago Tribune
The Chicago Tribune touts the charms of Midwestern cities, including Detroit, in a Travel Insider piece. In Detroit, it recommends the Inn on Ferry Street, the Detroit Institute of Arts and the MGM Grand.

Excerpt:

Whether you enjoy museums, art, theater, music, gambling or shopping, cities such as Detroit, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and St. Louis have much to offer. What makes these mid-sized cities appealing is the ease with which you can pursue your favorite activities for more moderate prices than, say, in Chicago.

Motown has had its ups and downs, but now things are definitely on the upswing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ travel/chi-mxainside0120jan20, 0,5782038.story

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a group of young students in Chicago that have started a "Forgotten Chicago" web site and "Forgotten Chicago Message Boards".

Please have a look here:

http://www.forgottenchicago.co m/forum/
http://www.forgottenchicago.co m/

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is just a midsize city like Des Moines or Milwaukee...right.

I can understand this worldview coming out of NY, but not Chicago.

Anyway, there point is correct. As Americans re-embrace the city, they will be willing to travel to other cities just because. Detroit is on many people's list, as the New York Times has already indicated this year.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3641
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but Detroit IS a midsize city. It doesn't have three million people. It doesn't even have a million people.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then I guess it's midsized in the way that Boston, Washington DC, and San Francisco are midsized...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We seem to be getting caught up in semantics... what constitutes a mid-sized city, and are they talking city or Metro area (some sites & museums are outside of the city proper in the article).

Some cities have little metro population (Indianapolis), others have little in the central city (Boston & San Francisco) but have an enormous metro area population.

It's like the age old argument about which bridge is longer the Golden Gate (longer central span) or the Mackinac (longer overall).

Based on this night time map of the midwest... Milwaukee, Cleveland and Buffalo are midsized cities, but metro Detroit is not a mid-sized city. Again... it's all in how you want to define it!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me crazy, but I don't exactly see Boston and Des Moines, or DC and Milwaukee, or Indianapolis and Detroit as being in the same league of cities... But hey, that's me!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4377
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. It's some of the cities that are included in that league that is annoying.

I agree that the semantics really don't matter though. There's big city, and there's big city feel. And you need to define big city. Top 15 (750,000 and up), or top 5 (1.5 mil and up)?

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someday maybe... just maybe... we'll not only see positive articles about Detroit but we will also even see articles that don't start out with a disclaimer like "Motown has seen its ups and downs, but..." Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the positive press we're getting these days, but they just about always start out with something like that.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to look at a perfect example;
NYC population 8.25 million
NYC metro population 22 million

Make sense to you now????

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.