Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Crossing the Bridge........ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught this movie on-demand this past weekend (with Stephen Baldwin, Josh Charles, Jason Gedrick and David Schwimmer)released in 1992. Directed by Detroit native Mike Binder. It was three high school buddies growing up in Detroit in 1975. A few notable scenes were visibly filmed in Detroit, Ambassador Bridge, Tiger Stadium, Lafayette Coney Island and oops Ren Cen (wasn't yet built in '75) they were on a mission to smuggle drugs across the border form Windsor back to Detroit.

I won't ruin the end of the movie, but does anyone have any interesting stories trying to "Cross the Bridge" and/or tunnel.

My buddies and I had the typical person passed out in the back seat, or a few in the trunk needing rides home from the bar. Stopping in the tunnel to have a beer right at the border line. That shit wouldn't fly these days.

(Message edited by reetz12 on January 22, 2008)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it on general ondemand or like HBO or the other pay ondemand stations? I'mma check it out.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MUD BOWL! MUD BOWL!

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to ride my bike across the bridge in the early 1960s, but I don't think they even let pedestrians on the bridge anymore, do they?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pedestrians or pedal bikes are allowed.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1972 -

A van filled 100's of Molson empty's and four stoners on our way back from Grand Bend.
Got waved in with a laugh - no problem. Can we still do that?

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode my bike across several times in the early 70's

Also would take along some baseballs to drop onto passing freighters, I'm guessing no one is going to do that ever again?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About two years ago at the tunnel, I was approached by two border patrol guys while waiting in line for my turn at the booth. One on each side of my van. They motioned for me to put my window down. The they held up an Altoid-like metal box. They told me that it was full of narcotics and that they were going to hide it up under my van via a magnet. They said it was a training exercise for their drug sniffing dogs. They told me that if the line started moving and I made it to the booth before they brought the dogs out, to let the office in the booth know what was going on. The dogs were brought out, sniffing around various vehicles. When they got near mine, they went crazy and crawled up around the tire and found the container. The entire event made me nervous. I kept thinking "what if they planted two and only removed one?" I'd be busted next time. I'm not sure if you can refuse to participate, but I just didn't like the situation at all.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just throwing it out there.

The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I remember we'd all pile into the car - I forget what kind it was - and drive and drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there. The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played. I remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad." We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.

Jack Handy: Deep Thoughts (SNL)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.