Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What is this building? 66 W. Elizabeth, Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a strange little building tucked into the side of the Fillmore/State theater and behind the Women's City Club. The building is on W. Elizabeth St., between Park and Woodward.

http://tinyurl.com/yw669t

go to StreetView for a pic of the building. It appears as though it was a house with a couple of brick additions on the street.

I have no interest in the building, just curious as to its history.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered that the other day- we staggered past it after Cliff Bell's during my bachelor party. I think it's probably the entrance to Hogwart's.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recording studio. <<<<<<It's a link, click it for more info!

(Message edited by toolbox on January 22, 2008)

(Message edited by toolbox on January 22, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ghetto Recorders is hot, hot -- hotter than hell. Especially during the summer. (And during the winter, possesses the ambiance of some North Pole station for scientific tundra research.) It's in a decidedly questionable part of town, where danger is always imminent; if your car isn't stolen then it's bound to get ticketed.

Far from being a bad thing, these factors actually help the creative process. As any numbskull knows, the best rock and roll was produced under duress and in great adversity. Ghetto Recorders is surrounded by plenty of both. But fear not -- Owner and Producer Jim Diamond will be on hand to see to it that no one loses their mind.

A "questionable part of town!" Ha. That kind of marketing might just work for rock bands, though. Although that is probably one of the least questionable parts of town.

Asbury
Username: Asbury

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bit confused. looks boarded up and closed in the picture.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it's the blue pigs van!

Rugbyman

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you believe the door will open, it will. Sometimes it helps to get a running start.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ That was the last Harry Potter reference. Promise.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Toolbox was here. How the hell are you?

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always referred to that building as “The Green Hornet’s House”. I had heard that it was originally built by the producer of the radio program, who also produced shows at the surrounding theaters. It was kind of a late night crash pad.

Like the house that the green hornet had with a garage door facing the street. You can still see the remnants of the opening for the garage door. The curb cut was eliminated by a sidewalk and curb replacement project from not too long ago.

It is kind of a model for a housing type that you don’t see much around here.

Gnome

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I searched flickr "ghettorecorders" and there are a couple of pictures of the door on the left with some musicians hanging out. But no indication of what that "OmegaMan" looking castle thing might be.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if that is ghetto recorders, which I think it is, that's pretty awesome. it's a fairly legendary studio at this point...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what it was originally or at least back when the CBD was a bit more vibrant??

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is ghetto recorders whom has had jon spencer, white stripes and such record in it

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could use some facade improvements....

Gnome

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a reference that a WWI Distinguished Service Cross soldier lived at 60 Elizabeth ... lost the link but will try to find it again.

I know Detroit re-configured its street numbering system in the late 1920s, but I don't know if the new numbering effected the east-west numbering. I know it effected north-south.

(Message edited by gnome on January 22, 2008)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street address renumbering affected all addresses. It took effect 1/1/1921.

From what I've heard, the front part of the building once housed a butcher shop and store. It's grafted onto a mid-19th-century house that is still extant in the rear. The theater was built around the buildings.

Gnome

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx fury ... wasn't sure about that. It is strange though, there are several mentions of a street called Elizabeth Street North in the old city directories ... you can see them in googlebooks ... One book from 1851 mentions a sunday school being built by Sam Larned on Elizabeth between Park and Woodward. Weird.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a poultry shop in the 20s

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1928, 66 W. Elizabeth is listed as being vacant. 54-60 W. Elizabeth is listed as the Faltis Poultry market.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on January 22, 2008)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that place also the City Club in the 1980s?

I'm pretty sure we hung out those upstairs windows, gasping for fresh air.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wasn't that place also the City Club in the 1980s?

No, that was this place:

http://www.detroit1701.org/Wom en%27s%20City%20Club.html

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pam, i believe east_detroit was talking about the goth club, city club...which is located in the leland hotel ballroom, and as far as i know, has always been in that location.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that building was discussed on this forum about a year ago .
last time I ate at the park bar I asked the owner about it he said the owner of the state theater also owned that building .
I look at that building every time I walk by it I would kill to own it it lust looks like the kind of building you could fix up and make a one of kind place to live in in what I see as an great location .
the only drawbacks would be parking and the bums right in that area

Pam

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

pam, i believe east_detroit was talking about the goth club, city club...which is located in the leland hotel ballroom, and as far as i know, has always been in that location

Ok, the one I posted had bands playing there in the 80s also.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Clutch Cargo's was housed in the Women's City Club building back in the late 70's/early 80's

East_detroit

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, no, I meant the City Club. It was Clutch Cargo's, then the City Club... and then the Leland City Club came after.... after the cops moved in.

Here's proof...

East_detroit

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember the name of the owner. He was also manager of Figures on a Beach later. He was a nice guy and talked to me when we were in line for DK's tickets in '81... after all the non-nice "punks" made fun of my 64 Chevy (and later probably ran for their Mommy's station wagon to get back North of 8 Mile).

Later, Jerry Vile said the guy had a reputation for being nice to all the guys...

Hmmm, can't remember his name.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my friend Tom Zito, a/k/a DJ Tom, managed the City Club at some point. He also spun/worked at Industry during the 90s.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...my mistake, ya learn something new every day! i just knew city club existed in the 80s and i guess i assumed it was always at the leland hotel...i think because i know people who went to the leland location in the 80s. when did it move out of the women's city club location? (unless it's just an odd coincidence that two clubs in the city had the same name...?)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Clutch Cargos was owned by Vince Bannon and Amir Daiza. The original CC was open for a very short time, but there was some serious music that went on there. A whose who of american punk rock.

Rugbyman, I think you are right DJ Tom did manage City club for a while, he also managed Industry for a while.

Pam

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I still have some City Club flyers too, in a box in the closet. I remember John Brannon and Larissa, the king and queen of Detroit punk, lived in the building at one time.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who?

Pam

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who?

John of Negative Approach and Larissa from L-7. (later of the Laughing Hyenas.)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

leland city club has always been in the leland house. this hotel was built by henry leland (of cadillac and lincoln founding fame) at the corner of cass and bagley. i don't know much about the CC then city club history, but it is a different club than the city club that is in operation today.

Gnome

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is something I didn't know ... the Elwood Bar got its name because it originally sat at the corner of Elizabeth and Woodward.

Little factoid.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSA

The original Clutch Cargos became the City Club (both in the women's city club) and then moved to the Leland and became the Leland City Club.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome--some of us remember all too well the Elwood at Woodward and Elizabeth. Before Chuck--when it was a funky dive bar.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you sure toolbox? i really don't think the two were ever associated. the leland city club was called "lidernacht" before it became leland city club. from leland city club's website:
quote:

Leland City Club was opened by Mike Higgins in 1983. Back then the name of the club was "Lidernacht" which means "Night Song" in German. Since then the club has seen many transitions... from hard core to goth, to punk, to industrial... and now to the new style of rivet.

i mean it would make sense that's where the name came from. however, i've just never heard of the two connected before. did higgins own the women's city club building and the club before chuck forbes owned it?

Gnome

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman-
Maybe we met at the old Elwood. When I had hair, I used to stumble between the Tuller's Harp and 101 Lounge and the Elwood.

The old Elwood was indeed a dive. In the vein of the Temple Bar, without the cross-dressing hookers. The kind of place that you'd never drink from a glass. It just never dawned on me that the reason it was named Elwood was because of its location. Maybe that was obvious to everyone except me, oh well.

On the double naming thing: don't ya think Higgins just stole the name?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Elwood when we used to go in there after work when I worked for Splane Electric @ 439 E. Columbia. I remember they had a thick board on the floor of the mens room so that you had something to walk on so your feet wouldnt get wet. It was the neighborhood dive

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didja think it was named for Elwood Blues?:-)

(Message edited by waz on January 23, 2008)

Gnome

Post Number: 596
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol ... and a briefcase full of blues

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derrick May used to spin at Lidernacht on Wednesdays. He had a sign beneath the Dj booth said said "Derrick May, Scientist at Work." Then he worked his way up to weekends. I believe Sterling (silver) was running the place then.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building was once a residence.
There are remains of a fireplace, and I also found remains of Victorian era felt wallpaper with a very intricate design. At some point it was home to the Carter Electric Company, and is commonly referred to as simply the Carter. It is owned by Chuck Forbes, who also owns the State/Palms building. It has been used for storage for the Forbes properties for many years. Currently it has pieces of the WMCA and YWCA from the stadium site, as well as the letters that spelled out STATE on the marquee before it became the McFillmore.

(Message edited by krawlspace on January 28, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.