Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » NWA/UA/Delta Merger - Possible HQ Relocation? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read in Crain's that this topic has been contentious for all parties involved. I know Detroit has a snowball's chance in hell landing the corporate Voltron that forms as a result of this merger, but if we can lure Quicken away from Phoenix and Cleavland, we sure as hell can throw our hook in this pond.

Does anyone know if Mayor Kilpatrick or Gov. Granholm has gotten pro-active on this one yet and made some calls?

It might not be too far-fetched, as DTW is a mini-hub of NWA, has a centralized location, new terminals, tons of room to grow, and is the starting point for the tentative Pinnacle Aeropark.

Detx

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link...

http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080121 /REG/620294596/1046/-/-/name-h eadquarters-location-thorny-is sues-in-airline-merger-talks

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIf anything, Minneapolis would have first grabs in a possible headquarters beacuse they are the actual base for NWA. however, Detroit would be next in line.

I still don't see them relocating here due to the poor economy. Besides, our airport is small potatoes compared to O'Hare or Hartsfield-Jackson.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone know if Mayor Kilpatrick or Gov. Granholm has gotten pro-active on this one yet and made some calls? "

^^ I think they need to worry about maintaining the jobs we have here now before making calls about new ones.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are wrong about that

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4372
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion, what's the difference?

A political leader is much more enabled to entice new employers to come here than to force existing employers to employ at a particular level.

Detx

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think they need to worry about maintaining the jobs we have here now before making calls about new ones."

So should we just sit on our hands and let this opportunity (however small it may be) pass us be? I think this is something we ACTUALLY could be in the race for.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If things were solid it would make more sense.. but not on the "talks" of a merger

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mini-hub? DTW is far-and-away the largest hub NWA operates.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit most likely wouldn't be on the list of possible options.

Only Atlanta or Minneapolis. If they moved headquarters to Detroit they would have to move several people from two locations.

Chicago wouldn't be an option (at this point) because Northwest isn't looking to merge with United; only Delta.

What could happen is Detroit (Metro Airport), could become a larger hub.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the huge investment NWA hs made at Metro I think we would have a chance, but I'm pretty sure outside mega-corporations are not ready to take a chance on Detroit yet.

As much investment (current and promised) that we are seeing from local companies, we are still seeing somewhere between little to no investment from outside the region. In time these types of opportunities are sure to present themselves though.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This wouldn't happen. If the two airlines merge, Atlanta would probably keep the HQ. And remember, you're talking about a company moving from Atlanta to Detroit. That NEVER happens... In fact, I wouldn't doubt seeing jobs move from Detroit to Atlanta due to this merger.

The only thing that would happen is Detroit could possibly become a larger hub. NWA is already making Metro Detroit it's link between North America and Asia. Hopefully if NWA merged with Delta, it would strengthen that link. SLC is the only major hub that Delta operates west of Detroit and there aren't any trans-Pacific flights that operate out of SLC. Currently Delta flies their trans-pacific flights out of Atlanta.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx...Quicken lured away from Phoenix and Cleveland? What are you talking about?

Quicken Loans is Southeastern Michigan born and bred.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, quicken did build the stadium for the Cavs down in Cleveland, showing they may be interested in the area. A move from Livonia to Detroit is as big as a move to anywhere. Most of the people working there in Livonia will refuse to work in Detroit.

If the NWA/Delta deal does go through, lets hope NWA comes out as the dominant player. I could just see Delta taking over and pulling out of Detroit all together.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United has a large repair facility at O'Hare and having two facilities won't happen in the ailing airline industry. UA lost what? $43 million during 2007? Minneapolis might have to close theirs in any merger with NWA.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 22, 2008)

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just hope Detroit can keep their hub service if the merger happens. They most likely will, but nothing's assured.

Most likely, Cincinnati would be the city that loses hub service in a Northwest/Delta merger (they're currently a Delta hub, they actually have direct international flights to over a dozen European cities). Ditto for Memphis. The combined airline could focus service from DTW, MSP, Atlanta, and SLC.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good thing for DTW is that ORD is not able to add any flights, per the FAA. And I'm fairly sure ATL has got to be close to capacity as well.

Eboyer

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice, Quicken did not build any stadium in Cleveland. Dan Gilbert bought the Cavs and renamed the existing stadium Quicken Loans Arena.

And their Livonia employees are much more upbeat about the Detroit move than you think.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6189
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Eboyer... "most" of the employees of Compuware moved downtown from Farmington Hills, I don't see why Quicken employees would be any different.

Hudkina

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may complain now because people *always* complain about changes. But the Quicken employees will realize that Downtown can actually be a better work environment than Livonia ever could be.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4911
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Agreed Eboyer... "most" of the employees of Compuware moved downtown from Farmington Hills, I don't see why Quicken employees would be any different.

References, Gerhard? What does "most" mean, BTW? How many of Compuware's employees live in Detroit, downtown or elsewhere? And not in qualitative or pseudo-quantitative terms, such as most, many, some, or cooked-up percentages.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 22, 2008)

Gistok

Post Number: 6190
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webster's Dictionary: MOST (moust): The greatest in number, amount, extent or degree; the majority.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 22, 2008)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4913
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: You don't have a clue about how many of Compuware's workers live in Detroit, while you slither and worm your way out of coming up with any evidence to defend your previous statement.

Pathetic.

Hudkina

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, he ment "moved downtown" as a reference to where they work, not where they live. I'm sure most Compuware employees didn't live in Farmington Hills and I'm sure most don't live in Detroit.

Why does it seem you have such a jaded and misguided view about everything?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Because LY Does....

Sounds like John Engler is on the boards

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd think that if we could pull it it would be for Aerotropolis. This could really work as a win-win.

No jobs for the City as far as I can see.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! No more NorthWORST

I know our region needs jobs, but I would gladly jettison NWA to get a real airline in Detroit. NWA is replete with incompetence. I wish they would merge with American, but either Delta or United mgt is light yrs ahead of the buffoons who have run NW for the last 25 yrs in Detroit.

I just hope NWA's books aren't a haunted house and the lawyers call off the merger.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4914
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, we're talking temporary 8-5 Detroit residents. However, the employees really didn't "move," but their place of business moved (once). So, that means that Compuware's employees "move" twice daily on workdays--or about 400+ times a year.

Somehow, that "move" term was a very lousy choice of all the millions of words that English has.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my family lives in Livonia, Grandma, uncle and cousin. You cannot believe how anti Detroit or racist so many of these people are.

My Grandma was with a friend in Meijer once. 2 black guys turned down the same aisle they were in. After they had passed, her friend whispered to her "I was really scared there for a second".

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but there are a lot. Eboyer, you were right about the Cavs though. I was just saying that buying a team in a certain city usually means you like it.

Gistok

Post Number: 6191
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice said...

quote:

Most of the people working there in Livonia will refuse to work in Detroit.

To which Eboyer replied...

quote:

...and their Livonia employees are much more upbeat about the Detroit move than you think.

To which I replied...

quote:

I would have thought that since most of us knew that most Compuware employees did not LIVE in Farmington Hills, that this would have made the progression of the thread more understandable, regardless of the vernacular... :-)

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken Loans was courted by Phoneix & Cleveland. Even if the employees from Compuware or Quicken or hopefully NWA are "8-5 residents" those "residents" are still paying for parking, buying lunches & overall stimulating the CBD economy. Those businesses also fill in vacant office towers & even build new ones. Those companies pay taxes to the city & make the CBD more lively overall. Hopefully a couple workers from these companies may like what they see from working in the CBD and think about buying a loft or whatever. You never know...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody erase this thread and start over. On second thought, just erase the thread.

Detx

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer,

It was written in the News (and on this board) several times that both Phoenix and Cleveland were courting Quicken to relocate their HQ there. And as far as Quicken being “Southeastern Michigan born and bred”… that’s glaringly obvious, particularly to members of this forum. Just because a company has its roots in Detroit or SE MI doesn’t mean it’s going to stay (thankfully Quicken did). Comerica, a Fortune 500 company, was born and bred in SE MI, but they bolted when the opportunity presented itself. There’s also Spirit Airlines, and no doubt many more…

Regarding everything else, I just feel like Detroit and Michigan has missed out on a lot of growth opportunities in different industries. The dot com craze never even came close to fruition here, all of the major financial service industries have left (we had a stock exchange at one point), and “venture capital” is like a term that has just entered our language.

I think we can stand to gain a lot from this merger (if it happens). Michigan is actually in a great position here to snatch up a lot of jobs, as for once we have the infrastructure in place. New, world class terminals, an established working relationship with a major player in the deal (NWA), room to grow and future plans to grow (Pinnacle Aeropark), and a prime location right in the middle of two great towns (Detroit & Ann Arbor). No doubt Detroit would be more than willing to offer ample tax breaks. And before you say that Ann Arbor is too small, they are already home to several Fortune 500 companies and several major operations of Fortune 500 companies.

Don’t get me wrong, I know this is wishful thinking and I know the odds are against us. But the fact of the matter is that if this merger goes though there is going to be a lot of consolidation and a lot of moving around. I consider myself a healthy cynic, and I think Detroit and Michigan has a great opportunity here. Jenny and Kwame should already be making calls. Or are our leaders to busy sending text messages or preoccupied with our fleeting auto show?

I’m also surprised that more forum members haven’t showed interest in this.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EBoyer: Comerica was Southeastern Michigan born and bred too. But that did not seem to stop them from abandoning us.

Eboyer

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx said that Detroit lured Quicken away from Cleveland and Phoenix. That is false. Yes, Cleveland has tried to lure Quicken away from Detroit, but obviously that did not happen. Also, Quicken has a west-coast office in the Phoenix area, but to my knowledge, Phoenix never tried to lure Quicken away.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Detroit News it said that an agreement between Northwest and the Minneapolis airport authority is one potential obstacle to a merger. The airline could lose $215 million in discounted rent and rebates if it moves its base of operations elsewhere. Delta doesn't want to leave Atlanta and Northwest doesn't want to leave Egan Minn. A headquarters would not be moved to Detroit.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The merger wouldn't have a major impact on detroit unless for some reason they decide to pull the Detroit hub, which would cost hundred of jobs not only at the airport but the surrounding areas. There are thousands of flight attendants that book hotel rooms around the airport.

Jobs are NOT created in a merger, if anything, there would be a loss of jobs. look at American & TWA, US Airways & American West, Sprint & Nextel, etc.

Detx

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/O PINION03/802080359

"For the first time in a long time, or so it feels, Detroit has an asset others covet. "

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 659
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is a great guy.. with ALOT of knowledge.. he is NO John Engler.. he is a HUGE theatre buff.. I am sure you should understand he has alot of understand behind what is going on in Detroit.. Please show him respect.. He is a great guide in the theatre tours and a great person.. with ALOT of great information...

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 660
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please correct me on this if I am wrong.. But Comerica.. was before the name change Detroit Band and Trust.. I need to look that up to be sure....

Gistok

Post Number: 6277
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Digitaldom! LY and I had been sparring on several threads that week.

Hadn't seen you post in a while... how's the health of your significent other? We were worried there for a while!

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitaldom: No Comerica was Manufacturer's Bank....both suck and rip its' customers off...I worked for them (Manufacturer's Bank) in my 20s for a short while...the mgmt sucked then and I am sure it is worse now....The new Tiger stadium should have never had their name (Comerica) on it...but this thread is about northwest.......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.