Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Burton International School Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the asbestos scare from the demolition of a building next to the school, the school moved to its present location in Corktown. The questions I'm wondering are,"Who owns the building? Any plans for the building? Is it still considered a health threat or what?"

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^bump.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have wondered the same thing royce.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the building on Cass and Peterboro?

The Detroit Public Schools still owns the building but they have an agreement to allow the ACES program to operate out of it.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met the ACES director in the summer of 2006. Interesting character & very passionate about the program.

I wondered how it would fare in the wake of this year's school building closings.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is ACES?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6514
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Active
Communities
Extreme
Schooling

J/K...

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does ACES do? Full-day instruction/ tutoring/ after-school program?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.educateall.org

It started as an ACT/SAT prep program geared towards (but not limited to) inner-city high school students. It branched out to be a supplemental instruction program for grades 8-12 in addition to the SAT/ACT prep. It is staffed by white collar professionals, college and graduate students, parents and whoever else is willing to volunteer their time.

It was originally based at Wayne State using empty classrooms in the evening (with the permission of the university). It moved to the old Burton International building about 3 years ago.

quote:

I met the ACES director in the summer of 2006. Interesting character & very passionate about the program.

I have so much respect for that guy. He is doing a great thing with that program.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.