Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit area steers Michigan's economy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit area is the main diver for this states economy. Detroit's domestic product is more than six times of Grand Rapids.
more in freep,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080120/BUS INESS06/801200560

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No crap. This is why we need to get our act together.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we are slowly diversifying our employment base, but we need to pick up the pace. The sooner we utilize automotive talent in new and different ways, the better off we will be.

I noticed an article in the Freep, 1/21/2008, about several Pfizer ex-employees starting up biotech companies here in the Detroit/AnnArbor area. Good for them!

Those of you that are getting laid off from the Big 3 should take advantage of the tuition assistance the UAW bargained for you.
One website that helped me decide what to do next is www.princetonreview.com.
They ask you a series of questions designed to find out your strengths and preferences. With this, they can direct you into careers, (they outline MANY), that you may not expect to have interest in.

The sooner the large groups of production workers and others get retrained and back in the workforce, the better SE and all of Michigan will be.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continental Airline's in-flight magazine for January 2008 has a great story on Detroit, obviously aimed at tourism. Lots of beautiful pictures, too. I was on a flight from Houston to Memphis and the lady sitting next to me said, "THAT'S Detroit? It's pretty."

And why shouldn't we get a piece of the tourism pie? Saving our architectural heritage is one way. Imagine studios filming period movies here. We could give them any neighborhood they wanted, from Victorian to modern. We have the water, that isn't being properly developed...really the possibilities are there.

Nobody says we have to give up cars...but we have to do other things, too.

Detroit was heavily diversified before the car companies...we can be again.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4702
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool. wish they had an on-line in-flight magazine. do they even do much to Detroit??

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nobody says we have to give up cars...but we have to do other things, too.

Detroit was heavily diversified before the car companies...we can be again.

Really, that's the heart of it. The autos are never gonna be as big as they were but it will always be "Detroit". If Detroit as a region wants to support it's population, it has to diversify it's economy.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should get on board this space tourism thing, before we miss the boat.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,324967,00.html

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that industry takes off I would sure like to get into space even though it is barely outer space sometime in my life time! Hell while were at it lets kick everyone elses ass at building the worlds tallest structure. A space elevator!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S pace_elevator

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.