Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Thanks a lot people mover « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annual run to the auto show this morning. Drove up to Greektown, parked in the garage and rocked to the people mover station. The routine is to ride the DPM from Greektown to Cobo, go to the show, then ride back for lunch at New Old Parthenon and desert at the Astoria Bakery. So we get through the construction mess, get up to the DPM station and are presented with the following statement on a piece of copy paper "Not open until 10:00 A.M. Sunday January 20, 2008" Now, we are there at 8:15 in order to give time to ride the train, get tickets, check our coats, and get in line for the opening at 9:00 A.M. My question is, why in God's name would you start the trains late on one of the biggest weekends of the year? To top that, there is no explination on either the DPM or the NAIAS website. It was not the end of the world, but it was a pain in the backside and just another thing to make you want to just park at COBO and drive out after the show. At least give some sort of explination why, it usually makes people a little more receptive to the situation.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll go with standard D-YES etiquette and blame unions. The reason you couldn't take the train is because of the unions, somehow, some way ... :-)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to the people mover website, the normal Sunday schedule for the people mover doesn't start until noon. So they DID open 2 hours earlier than normal for sundays.

I'm guessing that the assumption they were running under at that moment is that perhaps they weren't predicting the Cobo parking garage to be filled up until around ten and that "overflow" parking wouldn't yet be filling up throughout the rest of downtown until later.

Perhaps the anticipated ridership between say 8 and 10 was too low for them to justify the cost of opening and operating the People Mover 4 hours earlier than normal and they decided that the ridership numbers after 10 would justify the early operations.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A whole day ruined.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll go with standard D-YES etiquette and blame unions. The reason you couldn't take the train is because of the unions, somehow, some way ...

My money is on the crime. You know crime doesn't end until 10am!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll do my best Freep forum impersonation...

I think it's that Thug Mayor and his cronies...and black people.

The sad thing is that it wouldn't shock me in the least if someone would post something lack that on the Freep board. In fact I would be MORE shocked if they DIDN'T. :-(

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, this reminds me. I was out at (proof) on Saturday night and had to go to the bathroom. When I got in there, one of the urinals was out of order, and the other one was being used. I couldn't even use the stall because someone was in there too!

If you're going to have waterless urinals at least make sure they work all the time. This ruined an otherwise really great night.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 406
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember people using the sinks as urinals at the Silverdome!

Ewww...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The $5 cab ride from Monroe to Cobo was a deal-breaker, huh?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, can you quickly hail a cab to just hop across the CBD? Never tried it, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm all for snide commentary, but it is pretty ridiculous that the People Mover doesn't at least run all day 7 days a week, starting at 8am at the latest. Raise the fare to 75 cents or a dollar to recoup some costs if necessary.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the bright side. Instead of riding the train past everything, it was just a 10min walk or so from Greektown to COBO. You could mark through downtown on the way, and see new things.

Gotta turn the situation into something good. Enjoy a walk :-)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, when the people mover was in operation, it was nice to see the trains all filled up.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one little itsy bitsy thing to say. Two short blocks from Greektown at the Hilton, the Cobo shuttles run every 10 minutes. Even though its chilly, that is always an option. I saw a lot of people this morning taking the shuttle from Greektown and it was about 855am when I saw this.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was frustrated by the late DPM start. Is it really that difficult to coordinate the DPM schedule with one of the City's signature events?

At about 0830 I walked to the Grand Circus Park station from my home in north Brush Park, expecting to ride the DPM right into Cobo. Saw the "Not Open until 10:00 AM" sign; walked the rest of the way down Washington Blvd. to the show. I didn't have a problem, but if you weren't prepared for the extreme cold, it could have been a dangerous situation. Of course, the intermittently-cleared sidewalks presented their own navigational challenges.

It was nice to see that the DPM was packed on my return trip.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should blog them at the DPM website and let them know how you feel, maybe they'll change their ways when they realize they are not serving a demand?

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Look at the bright side. Instead of riding the train past everything, it was just a 10min walk or so from Greektown to COBO. You could mark through downtown on the way, and see new things.

Gotta turn the situation into something good. Enjoy a walk"

It was about 7 degrees at the time Mike. Enjoy a walk? Enjoy a frostbite...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems that someone at the DPM didn't tell the workers that the schedule had changed.

From the DPM web site:

http://www.thepeoplemover.com/ WE-LL-TAKE-YOU-THERE!.id.2.htm

quote:

PEOPLE MOVER OFFERS EXTENDED WEEKEND HOURS, TRANSPORTATION TIPS FOR 2008 AUTO SHOW

Information for convenient travel for individuals, families, disabled

DETROIT, MI –The Detroit People Mover (DPM) has announced the following weekend hours for the 2008 North American International Auto Show, as follows:

Friday, Jan. 18 & 25 6:30 AM – 2:00 AM

Saturday, Jan. 19 & 26 7:30 AM – 2:00 AM

Sunday, Jan. 20 & 27 8:00 AM - Midnight

On all other days during the show period, The People Mover will operate on its normal schedule: Monday through Thursday, 6:30 AM – Midnight.

As one of the primary modes of transportation to and from the North American International Auto Show, The People Mover can deliver visitors quickly and most importantly, safely to Cobo Center.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll go with standard D-YES etiquette and blame unions.

No, the standard DYes etiquette (as displayed on this thread) is to mock the victim of local incompetence as being a moron that can't handle life in city. Which is, totally justified. I mean, why would ANYONE ever expect the People Mover to run during the one time of year it's actually used by people not going to a Wings game? That is just silly. One should really have planned for it to open at a random times and even when open one should really plan for it to be out of service.

quote:

As one of the primary modes of transportation to and from the North American International Auto Show, The People Mover can deliver visitors quickly and most importantly, safely to Cobo Center.

That is excepting those times they don't really feel like getting it open until 10. Just figure it out on your own if that happens. Everyone knows schedules in Detroit are really just aspirational goals.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting there that early, I would have parked at the Joe.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's cause of black people. And women. And the French. Ha.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOmetimes things break down and need to be repaired.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget the suburbanites either. Somehow, the blame always ends up back at them.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about DPS, can't they be too blame too?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4699
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dissapointed by the People Mover?

The hell, you say!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friggen 'Frogs. It's all their fault. Don't you realize the french want to mess up everyhing?

And suburbanites - if they didn't gum up the tracks with their Starbucks skinny cinnamon dolce latte with sprinkles and whip cups, the damn PM would work.

Don't even get me started on everyone else who sucks.

(SARCASM DRIPPING FROM ALL OF THE ABOVE).

Regardless, I think this is just an example of things getting better and more active - so with an increase in demand there are some growing pains. If one makes a polite case on their blog or by contacting them, I'm sure it'll be taken note of.

Sometimes, it's best to first attack a problem with honey as opposed to vinegar. As the "D" gets more popular, there are going to be some hiccups.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Regardless, I think this is just an example of things getting better and more active - so with an increase in demand there are some growing pains

I didn't realize this was the first year the people mover was being used during the Autoshow. My bad.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That happened to me once a couple years ago when I came for a Tigers game on a Sunday. Parked on the Cobo Roof, but the DPM did not start until noon. But it was a nice day and a good walk down Washington Blvd. so it did not bug me at all.

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok my turn at a little sarcasm....My version of the peoplemover was open early enough :-) http://www.brickshelf.com/gall ery/DecoJim/DSO2007/dso5276.jp g and was there for christmas as well :-) http://www.brickshelf.com/gall ery/pguenthe/0612-dso/p1010029 .jpg

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome shots, Cwl. I love the lego stuff.

Higgs, it is entirely possible that there was an increase in demand this year different from last year. I'm not saying they're perfect - they're definitely not. But I'm choosing to look at the brighter side of things instead of b**** about it.

So I ask, has anyone here actually contacted them on this with a request?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.