Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shout out of the Stonehouse! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had not been to the Stonehouse for several years and went with a buddy on Friday night. Very cool bar. Yes, it's a true biker hangout _ I'm a BMW/vintage Honda guy myself _ but the people were cool. Upper 20s on up age wise. They have a good burger. Beer is cheap. And somehow we got a free shot of Jack. Nice jukebox. I gotta go back when they have live music, which is most Saturdays. They're on Ralston right near the State Fair Grounds, ust south of State Fair.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It pays $25.00 a night for musicians. Big gig.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Keyhole lounge still there?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stonehouse Bar

(June 2006 photo)

The world famous Stonehouse Bar is Michigan's oldest continuously operating bar. During the late 1930's it was known as the "Sportsman's Rendezvous Bar".

(Message edited by Mikeg on January 20, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 1987 photo

(July 1987 photo)

Polk's 1928 Detroit Directory indicates that Gus Constas lived here at 19803 Ralston Street and operated a "lunch" business out of the lower level.

That same directory indicated that Anthony B. Grobbel was operating a business at 144 W. Six Mile Road where he sold malt and hops for home brewers. About five years later he decided to get out of that business so he sold his home on Hilton Rd. in Ferndale, bought the building at 19803 Ralston and moved his growing family into the upstairs living quarters. Upon the repeal of Prohibition on May 11, 1933, he applied for and received a beer and wine license from the state to begin operating the "Sportsman's Rendezvous Bar" in the lower level of the building.

Whenever he was in town, one of Anthony's regular patrons was Emmett Kelly (1898-1979), who is famously remembered for his sad-faced character "Willie" the clown. After Anthony's death in 1940, his widow sold the place to his former partner, John Faust, who then renamed it the "Stonehouse Bar".

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came across this place the other day and wondered what it was. Good timing. That's the State Fair Apartments in the background of Mikeg's picture for reference.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stonehouse is a great bar, but I think tthe "New Hudson Inn" has been in business since before Michigan was a state.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 987
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban: "Cheap beer and a free shot of Jack"....sure hope you weren't on the bike that day.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

the Stonehouse web site makes the claim about being "Michigan's oldest continuously operating bar", not me. I suspect that there might be others in addition to the Stonehouse that can make the same claim. All bars lost their license to legally serve alcohol during the Prohibition and therefore to be the "oldest continuously operating bar", you only need to show that you have an unbroken record of business dating back to May 11, 1933.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful story, Mikeg! Very interesting background. Thanks for sharing.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg-
I didn't mean to be dismissive of the Stonehouse, or you, just to point out for those interested that there is at least another biker bar in the area that lays claim to the title.

I have a personal family connection to the New Hudson Inn, as my great grandfather's photograph hangs behind the bar. So whenever I get out there I stop in to pay my respects.

Forgive me if I offended you in any way as that was not my intention.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a problem! I just wanted to clarify that I thought their proper claim should be the "oldest continuously licensed and operating bar". Anthony was a very distant cousin and I learned about his ownership of this place from his son, whom I first met in 2001.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.