Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rush « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So i heard on WRIF that Rush it touring again. They will be in Detroit on June 10th.

The point of this thread?

They are playing Joe Louis Arena. Thats right, JLA, not Pine Knob. And this is smack dab right in the middle of the summer concert season. So, I cant imagine that DTE is already booked for that day, and that even if they were that they wouldn't try like hell to get Rush to play there. Rush sells out and has $100+ ticket prices.

So the question is, "Is downtown Detroit staring to actually draw large scale entertainment options?" "Is this a ploy for another reason for a new hockey arena"

Speculate amongst yourselves....

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush was the 1st concert at JLA. Maybe they are there so they can be the last concert at JLA.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw them at Pine Ka-nob a few years ago. I might go to this one--I've never seen a show @ JLA. I'm a big rock concert-goer, and it is also on my to-do list to see something at Cobo Arena sometime. I saw Seger at his opening night at the Palace, and was kicking myself when I saw that he scheduled one later on at Cobo.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush is a band that I have seen live in concert once in the early 80s, might try to get tix to see them @ JLA, but would also like to see Mahogany Rush perform again as well,apparently they were in town at St Andrews Hall last summer, but I missed that one.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE energy knob?

Yeti

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89 - You are not missing anything by not seeing a show at Cobo. Worst Venue Ever

The sound SUCKS

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeti: sorry to hear that. It goes without saying that while many significant shows have been conducted there (Led Zeppelin in 1977, Michael Jackson, the Who, Aerosmith/Foghat, etc.) the Silverdome is the worst. I did hear that they managed to get the sound pretty good for Michael Jackson, though.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rush was the 1st concert at JLA. Maybe they are there so they can be the last concert at JLA."

:-)

Yeti

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget the infamous Doors show that was played there.

I have only seen Tool at Cobo, the sound was muddy, distorted and hallow. Way worse than a half full Palace.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3257
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooo great news...I was at the Hard Rock cafe in Toronto just yesterday and they had one of Geddy Lee's bass guitars, and I was standing there looking at it wondering if they were going to tour again...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have only seen Tool at Cobo, the sound was muddy, distorted and hallow

You sure that wasn't just how Tool sounds? :-)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush is awesome in concert. I like going to see bands who are talented and have fun playing, even when it's their 30th show.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the question is, "Is downtown Detroit staring to actually draw large scale entertainment options?
They never stopped having big name concerts. I don't quite understand why this would be a shock to to you?

(Message edited by pjazz on January 21, 2008)

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.olympiaentertainmen t.com/events/calendar.jsp?curr Page=1&type=4&venueCode=

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Rush's press release announcing the tour extension a couple months ago, they mentioned several cities by name (including Detroit) that were going to be in a new venue as opposed to last year. It appears they were trying to play a new location as much as possible on this tour rather than go back to the same old, same old outdoor amphitheater.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. Going to be a Joe Louis summer for me. Saw Ozzy, by accident really. Got my Foo Fighters tickets, and will have to go see Rush there.

It's such a drag to have to go all the way out to the burbs, over an hour's drive for me from the east side, to see a concert.

Wonderful that they are bringing them just 15 minutes from home!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to JLA many times for concerts over the years. They have always had big names there. The Palace took a lot of the business when it was built. If I had to pick between JLA or the Palace to see a rock concert it would be JLA.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Rush at Cobo somewhere around 1980. The concert wasn't all that memorable for me. However, I did see the Tragically Hip at Cobo and the sound was very decent.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knowing Rush, it could be that the show they are bringing is better suited for an indoor facility. Then again, you know dem dare Canadiens like dat der hockey arena, eh?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.