Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » "ColorBlind" encores this Monday night 1-21-08 at 10PM on WTVS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ColorBlind" had its first showing on WTVS back in May of 2007.

If, like me, you missed it the first time, join me in watching it at 10:00 PM this coming Monday night on WTVS, Detroit Public TV.

ColorBlind is about one of Detroit’s greatest teachers, Alvin Bell, who touched the lives of thousands of Detroit’s grade school children over his thirty-year career as a Detroit public grade school teacher and principal. Colorblind’s producer/director Pamela Peak was one of Bell’s students at Detroit's Cerveny Elementary School during the turbulent years of the 1960s. Colorblind presents an accurate picture of the Detroit’s history during those times and how they affected the children of that generation.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Pamela Peak (the producer and director of "ColorBlind") will be interviewed by Warren Pierce tomorrow (Sunday) morning on WJR 760 AM at 8:20 AM.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tho' I wasn't one of the Colorblind kids, I've known Pam for more than 40 years. I think it was during religious classes at Precious Blood, probably in second grade, when we first met. Both our families later moved to Lathrup Village, and we renewed our friendship during junior high and high school.

I opened up my e-mail a few minutes ago to find a message from her telling me of the interview and the upcoming airing of the show, then over to DYes to find the news here.

If you want revolutionary, cutting-edge cinema, look somewhere else -- this ain't it.

If you want a warm, loving look at how an outstanding teacher can influence a whole gaggle of kids -- and want to feel a little better about the world after you've watched the show -- don't miss it!

Mikeg

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic - I also received one of her e-mails this afternoon, but I wasn't sure if you were going to re-post, so I took it upon myself to do so.

I've only know Pam since last Memorial Day weekend when she was here in town. I was one of the many people she interviewed that weekend for the project she is currently working on, which will also have a bit of a Detroit connection.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - please pass this on to any school teachers you may know.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren Pierce interviewed both Alvin Bell and Pamela Peak this morning are part of his show which was focused on the Civil Rights legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King. Alvin Bell said that he had the same group of students for three straight years (1965-68) and that especially helped them form a close student-teacher bond.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.