Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lynn Henning on CoPa - ideas to improve « Previous Next »
Archive through January 18, 2008D_mcc30 01-18-08  2:00 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Drankin, You can't build in centerfield, look all around the majors, NO ONE has seats there because the balls were getting lost in the crowd when they were in the air

The fielders backs are to CF. Stadiums don't have CF seats (especially lower deck) for the backdrop for the hitters. It has nothing to do with the fielding.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said anything about the fielders...I guess I should have been more specific.

Rax

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, OK. Didn't mean to jump all over you :-)

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem with moving the bullpens is that now the flagpole, brought over from Tiger Stadium, is no longer in fair territory. I don't understand why no one else gets upset that we lost that little idiosyncrasy.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the flagpole from Tiger Stadium.

Rax

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home plate made it...but not the flagpole.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about deleting the stupid fountain/dead ivy in straight away center and adding true bleachers.

Because there is almost no room between the field and Adams Ave. The walkway there now is a bottleneck and difficult to get through.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the stadium itself, I think where the stadium could use help is the lack of integration with whats around it.

The stadium feels isolated. We need to fill in some of those vacant lots around the stadium and create more of a neighborhood feel. It feels too suburban around the stadium. Which I'm sure the suburbanites love. What a waste of a city block in that regard.

It doesn't help one side is completely lost as "mega" stadium lane. This is the one thing I hate about the stadium.....the lack of planning around the stadium and its lack of integration. So much potential though. I think this will change in the near future as those lots shall be built upon.

The ultimate thing would be to cap 75 one day for a small stretch and connect Brush Park. Man that would be frigging awesome.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of losers. You had a great stadium for sitting as close to the action as you possibly could. The players had faces in those days and they could actually hear what you had to say. There was an immediacy to the place that is obviously missing in the current confines. Shut up about your complaints about the COPA. You got the stadium you deserve. Where were you when your opinion mattered? Jumping on the Red Wings bandwagon?? Now that the Tigers are fielding a competing team, you're jumping on that bandwagon now. Losers.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty big words there, champ. There were plenty of people (myself included) pushing for the old park to be renovated and kept in service. If you really think that anything was going to keep Ilitch from moving the team from the Corner, I've got a bridge I might be willing to sell you at a great price.

Take a deep breath, amigo.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dannyv, watch the games at home then. Considering the impending ticket-availability crisis, I'm sure someone else would LOVE your seat, bandwagon or not.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long have I been saying everything in that article on this forum and getting ripped for it?

Comerica Park blew from day 1. If you want to see the skyline go to Windsor. I want to see baseball and be as close to the field as possible.

Overhangs for the upper deck could have been done like in the new Soldier Field in Chicago.

I go to games regardless if the Tigers are good or bad and regardless of where they play.

Close minded attitudes like Focusontheds (if you don't like something in Detroit you are a hater and you should stay home) are exactly Detroits problem.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 896
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just fyi, the home plate from TS is no longer at CoPa. It was presented to Ernie Harwell upon his retirement.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the "CoPa" short hand? I don't know, it just seems so contrived, like the DSO trying to get everyone to call Orchestra Hall "The Max." Lame.

"Comerica" isn't difficult to get out in a sentence. It's not like you have to tell people on a regular basis you're going to see the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Angel Stadium of Anaheim. The time saved by omitting two syllables ain't that substantial and you sound like you're referring to a Barry Manilow venue. I'd rather keep the Tigers, lame muzak and poorly-conceived canned marketing lines separate in my mind.

Not a rant against you, Detroitstar, just a gripe in general. I'll pass the soapbox to someone else now.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 897
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, no offense taken Rugbyman (Rm), I hate it too! I never say it, but for whatever reason I always type it.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happened to be on the 75 service drive when home plate was transported over to Comerica.
There were three or four police cars that were flying down the service drive. I was surprised they didn't kill someone because they came very close to hitting two cars. To call it reckless behavior would be an understatement.

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like you, 321byran, i agree with every word of lynn's article.

it's a shame, really, that the prior tiger management regime (smith and mchale) were on a mission to create a ballpark which was the complete opposite of beloved tiger stadium. why? i have no idea. i think one of them was quoted as saying at the time that the new stadium would "save" baseball due to it's spacious field dimensions, thereby giving less of an advantage to the hitters as most of the other newer ballparks. what a bunch of garbage.

smith and mchale were totally incompetent at every level. it's hard to imagine but the baseball product they put on the field was even worse than their new ballpark design they put on that site. but it was.

generally, i'm support ilitch and i hesitate to criticize him because i think he's done wonderful things for the city of detroit (unlike many of you on this forum, i know). but in this case i make an exception. ilitch has to be held accountable of this one. his mistake was that he hired and trusted mchale and smith at the time the new ballpark was being designed. ilitch let his management team run the project group and kept out of it, by and large. he simply hired the wrong people and assumed they were competent. they weren't. when the new ballpark first opened, even ilitch was surprised by the huge dimensions and lack of intimacy. he just wasn't paying much attention during the design phase and trusted his incompetent management team, and for that i fault him.

like lynn, i believe there are many positive things about comerica's design and location. but there are also so many bad things, things that should never squashed when its design was on still on paper. the new park design should have been a tribute to old tiger stadium, not an affront to it.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't disagree more with the article about the dimensions of the field. When I go to a baseball game I don't want to see a home run derby. An expansive outfield is an advantage to hitters because there is a lot more room for a ball to drop. The park has more doubles and triples than many other parks, and this (to me) is better than having a bunch of home runs.

I also agree that the flag pole needs to be put back in play.

Add seats, sure, but don't change the field.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Comerica Park is not perfect, but it is a decent place to watch a ballgame. I love the fact that the dimensions are so large. I've got absolutely no problem with seeing a ball drop in the gap when it would have been a homer in any other park. I know that homeruns have really become a large part of a ballgame, and I like seeing them too, but there is nothing more exciting than seeing a guy stretch a double into a triple. Comerica Park is the best triples park in the majors because of it's dimensions.

What would you rather see:
A 4-3 ballgame that has all of the runs scored on 3 homeruns?
OR
A 4-3 ballgame that has all of the runs scored on singles, doubles, triples, bunts, stolen bases, etc...?
I may be a "baseball elitist", but to me the game with no homeruns is typically more exciting. Obviously, the situations in which the runs were scored would actually determine which is more entertaining.
Back on the topic, we need to stop complaining about things that can't be changed at this point, like the upper deck. It is what it as and we need to accept it. It is always unfair comparing the upper deck at CP to TS. The upper deck seats there were incredible, and in many cases, just as good as the lower deck seats. Focus on the things that can be changed, like the size of the dugouts.
But I do miss watching games at the corner.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will never be able to justify building a stadium that ignored every element that made Tiger Stadium special. I don't accept the obstructed view argument. In order to spare the view of some lower deck seats, does it really make sense to build an upper deck where the closest seat is farther from the field than the last row at Tiger Stadium?

Since we are stuck with Generic Modern Baseball Park v 2.3, then maybe they can kill a few birds with one stone. Where ever they decide to move in the outfield fence, they can sink luxury suites a few feet down that are enclosed and have outdoor seats above them that won't block the view of what is now the front row. The non-baseball fans that usually wind up in these kind of suites can hang out down below and have a close up view out the window or they can watch Oprah on TV, if you want a better view of the game, then you go up top.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree on the obstructed view seats. If I had any say in the design, I certainly would have traded some unusable space due to structural columns in the lower deck to have the upper deck located more above the lower deck. But I obviously didn't have anything to do with it, and we are stuck with what we have. Why didn't they just ask us?

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The obstructed seat issue was a red herring. If they only chose not to sell the obstructed view seats, Tiger Stadium still had more seats than the CoPa.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you're a 10 year old... no one has any reason to complain about the kiddie attractions (including the large tigers) at Comerica Park.

Every time I bring out of towners downtown for a tour... they always seem to want to have their photo taken by one of the oversized tigers in front of Comerica Park.

Dannyv

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go ahead and pay exorbitant parking lot fees or park on city streets strewn with broken car glass. Or park in empty lots manned by the homeless and have your vehicle ticketed by parking authorities who conveniently show up after the lots have filled. Have your brain slowly baked in the relentless, hot, oppressive sunshine for no cover has been provided to shield you. Watch the millionaires perform their amazing athletic feats to satisfy your vicarious thrills in a shared experience. Inch along on your way to the concrete basins that will guide you home satisfied that this sports experience was worth all the trouble and strife. Suckers.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgy.

Gistok

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Looks like somebody's dad never took that somebody to a ballgame as a kid... Deprived!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Close minded attitudes like Focusontheds (if you don't like something in Detroit you are a hater and you should stay home) are exactly Detroits problem.

321brian, where did I say I disagree with Lynn Henning's article? Nowhere.

I merely took exception to Dannyv's assertion that Comerica Park's deficiencies were MY and OUR fault. I suggested that if he feels that way, he's more than welcome to stay home and watch on FSN.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that they must leave a portion of straight away center with a dark backdrop but not the mammoth amount of space they have dedicated to ivy and the stupid fountain. You could put seats ABOVE where the ivy currently is and sell em out at 5 to ten bucks a crack. No reason to have the brick walls in right and left center. Blow them out and curl the seats around. There are lots of options to add a great deal of seats. Ever think that maybe they kept the foul territory huge and the dimensions large thinking that one day they could excavate the field down say about 5 feet and shrink the field?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always preferred the upper deck. A better seat angle(?).

In the lower, some clod, 40 rows away, getting up to take a wee and get another beer blocks your view of the action for minutes as they step on toes getting to the aisleway.

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't have a major issue with the comerica having larger than average field dimensions. obviously this results in fewer homeruns but more triples and doubles. that's ok from a typical fan's perspective but it also sadly ignores the tiger stadium legacy. i do have a major problem with the original comerica design which caused a ball hit over 400 feet to left center field to drop in play and end in a triple. that's not fair to the hitter, imo. at least that original design flaw has been corrected so some degree by bringing in the left field fence.

i also have a major issue with the location of comerica's seats and their overall distance from the playing field. the lower deck is ok but the upper deck is awful. many of the newer ballparks have upper decks which are much closer the field, where you don't feel like your watching the game from a different area code. the upper deck at most newer parks starts above row 30 in the lower deck but at comerica it starts above row 40. that's a significant difference.

i'm all for reducing the size of the dugouts (again, what were mchale and smith thinking during the original design process?) and lowering the playing field to allow the addition of more seats up close. the foul territory is simply too wide, probably the widest of any of the new generation of ballparks.

why o why was the comerica design approved in the first place? all i can do is shake my head and sigh.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman, your "Edgy" comment is the post of the year. You blew Dannyv right out of his diapers.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who thinks that Comerica Park is a better place to watch a game then Tiger Stadium was , really and truly needs to get their heads examined . It ain't even close , Tiger Stadium was a gem , as far as I'm concerned it was just a small cut below Fenway park and Yankee Stadium.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the name CoPa, only because they didn't bother to build a cabana.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the "CoPa" short hand?"

Yes but does anyone actually use it? I know it's been used in this thread as a shorthand but I can't recall anyone I know talk about going to CoPa. We either say we're going to Comerica, or a Tigers game, never CoPa. Wasn't that the News who tried to push that when the park first opened? I don't think it's really taken among the general public.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in my basement on the walls i have alot of tigers stuff, today i put up a photo of Briggs Stadium. my "daughter" said "good but no pictures of the damn comerica park". i use "CoPa" as a joke. i personally do not hate comerica park, yet from the 2nd time i went there i started thinking of things that i liked and disliked about the place. tiger stadium to me was much warmer heat wise, and while there i,d never had a problem with any thing. i was almost involved in a fight at comerica park which irks me to this day.

Detintky
Username: Detintky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn Henning and others are entitled to their opinion but CoPa is generally regarding as an excellent stadium from what I've read in reviews from around the league.

I myself like CoPa and enjoyed the games I went to (even when the Tigers were bad).

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 365
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My biggest problems with Comerica Park?

1. There's almost no shade, and when you're as fair-skinned as I am, that's a real problem. Tiger Stadium, of course, had lost of shady places.

2. I don't know why this is so, but Comerica Park seems to have a lot of glare and I find it very hard to follow the ball during daylight hours.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree, Vic, on both counts.

I got sunburned :-( my first trip to CoPa sitting in the lower deck behind 3rd base.

I was surprised one could get sunburned in Detroit. :-) (I couldn't resist).

I guess that is the scary thing about new stadia.

Never quite sure until it is built what kind of unanticipated problems will arise.

the shade should have been discernible before the stadium was built, but glare is probably something which could be known before hand.

(Message edited by emu_steve on January 20, 2008)

Rugbyman

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, I hear the CoPa shorthand once in a while. When I do, it's usually from people who aren't really baseball fans or people from out of town. I just call it Comerica.

I think the missteps throughout the design process are best shown by the hubbub that arose when the park was actually built and the lower left corner of the scoreboard (and the presumably expensive advertising space) was almost completely obscured by the skyline seats. Someone even suggested getting a helicopter to lift the scoreboard up and move it over the 25 feet or whatever.

I remember reading the quote from the HOK guy saying something to the effect of "Weeellll, it's just one of those thiiiings... you'll get used to it and come to love it. It makes the park distinctive." Even then I thought, man, they really dropped the ball on that one. What's the architectural equivalent of a proofreader?

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will always miss Tiger Stadium, even though I've been to many more games at Comerica Park. Tiger Stadium was a baseball fan's park - the game was the focus and everyone was closer to the action. At Comerica, baseball is almost incidental. Meandering around the stadium is much more spacious, and they've done a great job of displaying Tiger history (picture displays, statues, etc.) but I'd trade for the sight lines at Tiger Stadium in a heartbeat. As for obstructed view - Comerica has at least 6,000-8,000 fewer seats - I don't think there were 6,000 obstructed view seats at Tiger Stadium.

It's a shame.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember reading the quote from the HOK guy saying something to the effect of "Weeellll, it's just one of those thiiiings... you'll get used to it and come to love it. It makes the park distinctive." Even then I thought, man, they really dropped the ball on that one. What's the architectural equivalent of a proofreader?

Let's bear in mind that architects are always at the mercy of the owner who pays them. I've repeatedly seen architects get railroaded into poor design decisions because of the owner's will, lack of money, or both.

On the other hand, I'll be the first to tell you that there are some architects who make terrible design decisions, and this may be the case. Unless one was involved in the design process though, we can't tell who's to blame for each architectural shortcoming of Comerica Park. Given that HOK Sport previously did a wonderful job with Oriole Park and Jacobs Field--which are hands-down great places to see a ballgame--I have to give them an ounce of credit here.

With that said, I actually liked RFK Stadium better than Comerica Park.

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have expected a redesigned Tiger Stadium to look more like the Ballpark in Arlington than Comerica Park. The Rangers' park is reminiscent of Tiger Stadium in terms of intimacy. In fact, the right field grandstands were modeled after Tiger Stadium - pillars and all (minus the overhang).

http://www.baseballpilgrimages .com/american/texas.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi kipedia/commons/e/e5/Tbia_pano 2003.jpg

Gistok

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't Dannyv's posts (interjected with continuous insults) sound like a classic case of Tourette's Syndrome?

Hmmmm... and then there's Queensfinest....

Softailrider

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv makes sense to me , they replaced Tiger Stadium with an inferior product ..... period

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium was an inferior product, or else it wouldn't have been replaced. More fan-friendly yes, but I'm sure the players enjoy not hitting their heads in doorways, having a spacious locker room, and being able to take batting practice inside.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather say Copa than Comerica Park. I confuse the hell out of people when I tell them I live on Woodward between Tiger Stadium and Campus Martius. Some sort of childish wish that stadiums and arenas were named after the teams that played there or some obscure historical figure.

And here's another way to improve where the Tigers play: lower beer prices! I'm getting tired of sneaking drinks from my flask.

Gistok

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Solarflare... Ilitch replaced Tiger Stadium, so how does that make everyone else idiots?? Doesn't make sense to me....

Dannyv

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had a site, with Tiger Stadium, that the history of baseball passed through. All those heroes who came out of a fictional field of corn in Field of Dreams actually did inhabit the space on that field that you had the pleasure and the privilege to sit around. That fictional field is visited by tens of thousands of people every year. You have to ask yourself, what did you do to try and preserve the space where baseball history happened.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya well I kind of think a lot of people were under the impression that a certain percentage of the final years ticket sales were to go towards the upkeep of Tiger and not into a billionaire's back pocket. Its hard to do a whole lot given its condition and size after being neglected so long. BTW Copa is much nicer than Great American Ballpark in Cinci. IMO

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like a lot of the people who bitched about Tiger Stadium being too cramped, too dumpy, lacking the modern amenities, HAVING OBSTRUCTED SEATS are the same people bitching about Comerica Park now.

Does Comerica have its drawbacks? My God, yes. Any time a person moves into a new home, right away they're going to see things they wished they'd done differently.Comerica is no exception.

Living in South Caorlina, I've been to Turner Field in Atlanta a few times and find Comerica to be vastly superior (remember, Turner Field was actually converted into a ballpark from the Track & Field Stadium for the 96 olympics).

Comerica is certainly not the best stadium in the majors, but it is nowhere near the worst either.

That being said, it has felt since Opening Day 2000 that McHale & Co. were going out of their way to make an "Anti-Tiger Stadium"

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It seems like a lot of the people who bitched about Tiger Stadium being too cramped,..."

What do base that on? Seems like the opposite.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The concourses were too cramped.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the scoreboard was mentioned...I have to voice my complaint.

How come with a scoreboard that large, the score is one of the smallest things shown?

Rax

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the cash poor Royals aren't opposed to revamping one of the most beautiful ballparks in the league. Check out their new scoreboard/video replay screen. Hey Tigers, time to get rid of the dot matrix crap.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.c om/kc/ballpark/renovations.jsp

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the CoPa was being built, Ilitch boasted how the scoreboard will be the largest in the MLB. In reality, it is the largest billboard.

Softailrider

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying that Comerica Park is terrible , I'm saying that in comparison to Tiger Stadium , which was in my opinion the 4th or 5th best place to watch a baseball game in the world , Comerica Park is awful .

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey softail Tiger Stadium was the 3rd or 4th best place to watch a game? Nice try but its the BEST place in the history of the "world" to catch a baseball game. Also I don't find it very necessary to include the rest of the world in your rating of baseball stadiums, as a matter of fact I cant think of one historic or new baseball stadium of any significance outside of the U.S.? Your saying Copa isn't terrible but its awful? Nice contradiction.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.