Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Asian village rebranding? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw an ad on c-list looking for help for rebranding

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you not link to postings on Craig's List (or must we resort to second hand)?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that anywhere near the c-list ad for "stripper girlfriend wanted?"

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good. I don't know about everyone else, but I find the whole fake ethnic village thing cheesy and, well, contrived.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it Asian Marketplace. I have no idea what they were thinking calling it Asian Village, especially when 90% of the project is a parking structure.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want an asian village, re-build the real one at Peterboro and Cass.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not entirely sure why so many people get so hung up on the idea of the place being called Asian Village. I mean, we have Mexican Village, a fine restaurant in Mexicantown which is not, in fact, a municipality of any sort. We also have Oslo, which doesn't have the slightest thing to do with Norway. Elsewhere you have Planet Hollywood (not actually a planet). What I'm getting at is that if they're having problems, I don't think it's the name that's responsible.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waymooreland, I agree..

The Roostertail is not actually a rooster's tail!

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only gripe with Asian Village is that they've been either closed or hosting a private event every time I've tried to go there. I'll stick to China One on Woodward.

(Message edited by sciencefair on January 18, 2008)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it possibly be that Asian Village is kind of in a weird location?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll stick to China One on Woodward"

That place is a damn good value.

Bob

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only place Asian Village has good visibility is from the new Riverwalk. I have also heard mixed reviews on the food at Asian Village. Heard they had bad service and high prices.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it Asian RiverWok!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That might be the best pun I've heard in a while. Even Fozzie Bear would groan at that bad boy :-)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems everyone, everywhere is obsessed with the term "branding".. Must be the buzz phrase for 2007/2008. As usual , in a year nobody will care less about it, and on to another phrase we should all be consumed with in our everyday vocabulary. What would we do without Marketers. <g>

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 18, 2008)

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a year the place will closed if it doesn't "rebrand"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove past this place when I was in Detroit last month. What is amazing to me is that this place is basically a parking structure that is surrounded by surface parking. Methinks it might be a little more popular if they had built apartments above instead of parking spaces? Just a thought.

Then again, Detroit is a city built for cars, and not people. Which is why you can always find cars there, but not that many people.

Bob

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eventually, there are supposed to be condos as part of GM's RiverEast project, but with the downturn of the housing/credit market, this is on hold.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eventually, there are supposed to be condos as part of GM's RiverEast project, but with the downturn of the housing/credit market, this is on hold.

But the condos weren't supposed to go above Asian village, no? Also, why couldn't it just be apartments for lease? It seems like a prime location to test the waters of residential development on the water front east of the Ren Cen.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they just need to actually advertise

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this was part of GM's move to get rid of the surface parking on the Riverfront. The land for the GM Promenade was mainly parking. The cars had to go somewhere.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not call it Little Asia?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11376
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Heard they had bad service and high prices.

Hence the reason for the owner's re-arranging things. New Chef, more accessible...and he's trying in his way to gather more data for even better decisions in the future.

I've shared the bar at Vivio's with the owner a few times, and everyone who knows him says very good things about him...I wish him the very best.

Cut some slack, and give him time to set the adjustments...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The location is really isolated. If you're going to open down there, you better at least have a nice river view. By the way, how is the McNarney's/former Currents doing these days?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their service was the same as most places in Detroit. One person waits on you while five other people stand around talking to each or their cell phones.

They need to change something. If I'm going to go all the way to the river for sushi, I'll just go to Fishbone's instead and have a better time, better food and WAY more choices.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We also have Oslo, which doesn't have the slightest thing to do with Norway.

Correction: We DID have Oslo. Closed a year ago or more.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oslo is open

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 405
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not entirely sure why so many people get so hung up on the idea of the place being called Asian Village"

Because some of us are tired of the bastardization of culture by pretending to have something we don't have. The name is misleading, especially to visitors. You probably don't realize that outsiders who come from cities that have a real China town think we are a bunch of morons for designating a parking structure "Asian Village." It's almost as bad as naming a shopping mall Olde Village Towne Shoppes or something else ridiculous.

If it's that easy, maybe I should pretend that my old neighborhood in Ann Arbor's South U district is Asiantown because it just so happens to have 7 Asian restaurants within a 2 block area.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, I can't believe you quoted Bob right after Bob posted. I'm reading your post and realize I just read this. Couldn't you have just said, "Bob, .......?"

The structure is called Beaubien Place. Maybe the restaurants should just advertise for example, Fusia restaurant at Beaubien Place. At least folks will know where it is if they know where Beaubien Place is. Asian Village is misleading because there is no village.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6995
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Mr. Pangborn should have done to have a ethnic Asian community built in Detroit is to go out to those far east Asian countries and lure those businesses and their families here. Just starting a psuedo Chinatown restaurant in Beaubien and Atwater St. just would not do. Mr Pangborn can do better then that.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 584
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some heavy duty advertisment INSIDE the Ren cen would be great. The marriot lobby couple have an ad and its even connected to the building via skywalk

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11384
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not easy to get the ants out of the hill.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Asian Village last night for the opening of the new Sutra Utlra Lounge... they moved the restaurant to the other side of the building where it was nice and open. I spoke with the owner a few weeks back and we wanted to change things up so he could open keep the place open at night as well as they day. His customers during the day are mainly from the Ren Cen and CBD and he wanted to tap into the night lounge aspect of things too.

The lounge is nice and there is more seating for night events. I hope he makes the other side more cozy like it was before on the other side.

I took some shots last night, here they are: http://crush.smugmug.com/galle ry/4198788#245401603

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, were these folks down here for the Monster Truck Show?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. A nightclub full of poseurs. I could've puked looking at those pictures. Count me out as I have natural teeth, true hair color which hasn't been parted on the side and flat-ironed to within one inch of it's life. I could go on, but why? Ick.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion, sorry - I'm a reverse snob. I shouldn't be so hard on the plastic people. They look very happy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.