Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Camera's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok i know this is not a Detroit topic but I need some help I need to get a camera from my black and white photography class and I need to know if I am getting the right thing. I need a Camera: 35mm SLR (single lense reflex) must be capable to shut in full manual. Normal Lense of 50mm focal lenth or zoom lense capable of being set to 50 mm. I need something cheap and something that will work good any suggestions? I found one online http://detroit.craigslist.org/ pho/498578807.html will that work? Again thanks for all your help

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11363
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Designerguy24,

You're right, this should be on Connections, and a moderator will probably move it...but wait until Jams sees this.

He might have exactly what you need...along with some other cool stuff that might help with this class.

Cheers!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the class at?

Designerguy24

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb Community College south campus 12 mile and Hayes

Designerguy24

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone can help me out or knows of anything i am Redwings788 on AIM Designerguy2356 on Yahoo and Designerguy235@hotmail.com

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For that price, I don't know if you could go wrong, as long as it does all of the manual things your instructor requires, and as long as it really works. It sounds like there is not a lot of manual control for exposure, and you have to unlock the autofocus. Also, check to make sure you can still get batteries for this model, but that shouldn't be the case. I don't think it is that old of a camera model.

Reviews of this camera:

http://www.camerareview.com/te mplates/reviews.cfm?camera_id= 357

http://photosig.pcphotoreview. com/mfr/konica-minolta/35mm/PR D_84512_3105crx.aspx

Designerguy24

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know if I can shoot in full manual with that camera though? I have to be able to do that.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out the canon ae-1 on craiglist. thats a good manual camera from canon and has a few auto settings as well.

make em an offer and im sure you will get it.

for an excellent fully manual camera check out the canon ftb. just make sure you buy the weincell battery replacement for it.

Designerguy24

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about this? http://detroit.craigslist.org/ pho/533594565.html

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about this? http://www.angryflower.com/bob squ.gif

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could try to find a Pentax K-1000. It's a good camera full manual and I have seen photos taken with them, they are good if the photographer is good. If you were interested in spending more money you might opt for a Nikon FM-2 or FM2n. These are both good cameras with all kinds of options for using 35 mm film as some of us do. A couple of sites to try are Keh Camera or Jack's Camera Shop. I have dealt with both firms and they are reputable. Hope this helps, good luck with the class. The film does NOT lie and cannot be edited as digital imagery can.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a camera. It's all the criminals left after my house was totally robbed. Except my toothbrush, thank goodness. Let me just develop that last roll of film first!

;)

D_mcc

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PhiKap Bob, Which Fraternity is that?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4657
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so thieves won't even steal a film camera anymore?

As stinger says, a nice used K1000, or for a bit more money, an FM2...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7444
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out ebay, stuff I only dreamed about affording then is dirt cheap now.

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax are all available cheap.

I've used all of them and I dare anyone to determine which camera I used to make any particular image.

Glad to hear film is still being taught.

And I love the idea of teaching photography with only a 50mm lens. It will teach you how to work within limitations to create images that interest others.

The best advice I can give you is learn to see how light works, the direction, the quality, as well as the quantity are all important.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc:
I was Phi Kappa Theta at UDM from 1995-2000.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had my K1000 since 1979. I still love that camera, but with the 80-210 zoom on it I just can't carry it around like I used to. Great photos.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

check out the canon ae-1

So advanced, it's simple.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With used cheap cameras always be aware that there's a chance you'll have to put some money into cleaning and repairs. Ask your instructor how to look out for damaged or sticky shutters messed up mirrors broken internal light meters and problems with film advance especially if its an auto advance. Try and get your hands on the camera first and see if you like the way it feels. Older cameras are generally more sturdy and solid feeling but also weigh a bit. MDoyle is graduating with a BFA in photography from WSU.

D_mcc

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Nikon FM-2 that was my dads in the 80's, took me through three film courses and I still shoot with it now, though I no longer have access to a dark room to make my own prints.

I've shot with a medium format 4x6 and also a large format 8x10. I shot the 4x6 from the parking lot in front of Comerica Park shooting down Woodward towards Campus Martius, and I had 3-4 Olympia Entertainment security guards and on PR rep come out and make sure I wasn't shooting the Fox.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc-- Since you were standing on Olympia/Illitch property (the parking lot), the guards were legally in their rights to stop you from taking pictures. But if you were on the sidewalk, they wouldn't have had any legal standing to stop you from taking any pictures. They probably still would have bothered you, though.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6508
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Pentax K-1000, long ago in the film days, I used to shoot with one. They are great dependable cameras.

Also I agree with Jams a 50mm prime is simply an awesome lens, it was one of the first purchases I made when I switched over to a DSLR.

D_mcc

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, I knew I was on their property, they didn't force me to leave, they just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting the Fox, which I assured them of.

I think they were more interested in the camera than my picture taking.

I was also questioned by Homeland Security at the Rouge Steel plant...that was interesting

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.