Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Arsenal of Democracy talk tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Author Michael W. R. Davis is at the Detroit Historical Museum tonight discussing his book "Detroit’s Wartime Industry: Arsenal of Democracy.” The talk starts at 6 p.m. and is free for Detroit Historical Society members and $10 for others.
Top of pageBottom of page

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Mike Davis' Arsenal of Democracy talk at the Detroit Historical Museum last night and like all his historical efforts, it was outstanding.

As a a former newspaperman and Ford Motor Co. PR man as well as being an historian, he knows how to research a story.

For example, among those attending the talk last evening was one of his primary sources, the granddaughter of General Motors President William S. Knudsen 1937-1940.

Knudsen was recruited by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1940. Commissioned a Major General in the U.S. Army he headed the American war production effort on the home front beginning 18 months before our entry into World War II.

Obviously, I purchased Mike's "Arsenal of Democracy" photo history published by Arcadia Publishing. It's only $20 and available in area bookstores as well as in the gift shop at the Detroit Historical Museum.

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Detroit or military history. Mike has other well-done Arcadia books on GM, Ford and Dodge as well as a number of other titles.

Bob Cosgrove

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.