Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MSU's new Art Museum « Previous Next »
Archive through January 16, 2008Drankin2130 01-16-08  12:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartan Stadium Expansion

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin, we gotta find a way to get 75K in the stands before we try to fill 90K.

I think the most exciting prospect of the 2020 Vision is returning the campus to a park like setting and removing many of the roads. I see great things in the future on all fronts in East Lansing. Let's hope the economy rebounds and the financial resources are found for these projects.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally agree dstar. I just thought it was interesting that they have thought about the possibility that the program would justify it.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dstar,

I was at the Champs Bowl down in Orlando, and if the response that we got down there is any indication, I would expect to see ticket sales climb this year and if the team continues to improve, you will see Spartan stadium at full capacity very soon.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,
You urban planners have my utmost respect!

I know what underfunded programs are like. I was a telecom major. We started in the union and quonset huts and they built us a brand new building . . . but didn't give us new equipment to use. We did student productions using WKAR's old turret lens cameras . . . and everything was green. Some resume tape that turned out to be.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, et. al. -

History of the Paolucci Building.
http://www.statenews.com/index .php/article/2007/04/History_o f_a_home

El_jimbo

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quonset huts? Holy crap! How long ago was that? hasn't it been decades since MSU had to use those things?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6156
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK getting back to my original concern... how are they going to keep people, children and animals off the roof of this building? Put a 12 ft. moat around it?

All buildings that I'm aware of that have roofs that go down to ground level, are too steep to climb (like the orange roof of the church near Elmwood Cemetery, or the Catholic Church at 10 Mile & Van Dyke in Center Line).

This is the first time I've seen a building with such a low sloped roof, that it appears easy to walk up onto, let alone climb.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Just like the Cadillac Centre, this rendering isn't drawn exactly the way it will look in the end.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU has a history of climbable buildings...Munn Arena being my personal favorite! Also, the Duffy Daugherty Football Building was climbable (pre-renovation).

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim -

It's been (sigh) decades since I was there.
The building opened in 1981, 27 years ago.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The quonset huts went bye bye for the Breslin. I feel bad for you Gingellgirl. At least we had tube cameras, and a portapack 3/4 deck. When I was there. However, I still felt like we were 3 years behind the curve. Were you a Telecaster?

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge:

The University of Michigan project has substantially more depth and thoughtful consideration than the Hadid project indicates if anything because it's clear from Allied Work's process that their proposal was entirely contingent on the nature of the site. Hadid's surface-driven proposal could be implemented anywhere in the world with no differing consequences from one place to the next.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised it took this long for the typical UM "yeah, but ours is better" comment.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leland -

Not a Telecaster or ASCOT, either. I was a grunt at WELM, the public access station. Lots of hands-on, unpaid work. It was great.

Gary Reid was so thrilled when he got his editing suite. We were allowed to look at it and breathe on it, but if we touched it, we'd lose a hand . . . guaranteed!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ El_Jimbo.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor,

I hope that meant you are laughing WITH me! :-)

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say kudos to MSU for going with Hadid and bringing in something different. And kudos for including Morphosis and Hemmelblau among others. I would have preferred the Morphosis design and this isn't the best Hadid from that rendering but it should be pretty cool.

As a UofM person I am very disappointed in the UMMA addition. The worst part of it is that it completely ignores Tappan Hall behind it so it really doesn't take into account the nature of the site at all. I also don't think it works well overall with that side of State Street. The only thing it seems to pull out of the site is the color of the stone.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was with because I saw that coming too. I think I was near the construction site today and I must say that is going to definitely stand out amongst all of those older buildings on campus.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent choice MSU! The State of Michigan has some really great architecture and adding to it is always great. Seems that significant examples have been few and far between in the last 20 years or so. We need more forward thinking examples like this and the proposed Monroe Block Development.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this said, what are they planning on putting in this museum?

The Kresge Art Museum is nice, but it is hardly "world class" Does MSU have other collections in storage? Are there funds to buy a new collection?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I understand it, Mr. Broad's personal collection is museum worthy itself. I believe much of it will be housed here, as well as some of the Kresege collection.

There is also an expansion and renovation planned for the Kresege too.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zaha Hadid's work is impressive. It's awesome to have one of her works in Michigan. I'm jealous because this is going to probably be way better than the UMMA expansion

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Zaha Hadid would have designed something at my school (CCS) instead of that lame uninspiring Ford building.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I've changed my mind about the new Cadillac Center on the Monroe block.
I want a Hadid skyscraper instead.
Now that would be impressive.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've read, Eli Broad, an MSU alumni and the principle donor for the new museum ($25 million), has one of the largest private art collections in the country. He is a major proponent of modern art and the majority of his collection could be classified as such. In fact, he was a major donor to the Museum of Modern Art in New York when they did their recent renovation. The visitor's center for MoMA is now named for him and his wife. Nothing is official, but I believe that much of his sizable collection will be donated to the museum.

Also, one of the big problems with the current MSU museums is that due to lack of space, they keep almost 2/3rds of their collection in storage. This new museum space will allow the University to take what is in storage and put it on display. The new museum will focus on modern art while Kresge will focus on older works and will eventually see an expansion of its own.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iddude,

Warsaw is supposed to be getting a Hadid skyscraper. The project is called Lilium. There are renderings here:
http://www.dezeen.com/2008/01/ 15/lilium-tower-in-warsaw-by-z aha-hadid/

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have prefered the Morphosis submission, but that's simply because I am a huge fan of Thom Mayne and his energy efficient buildings.

Good for State....Go Spartans!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4365
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very intrigued by the way that this project has elicited so many exclamations of 'go spartans' or 'go state' etc. I guess it sort of makes sense because buildings are key in defining a school, but I've never thought to speak the same way when discussing new developments at Wayne or UM.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

You have to look at it from the perspective of an MSU alum or an MSU student.

EVERYDAY, some jackass who went to UofM or some jackass who dropped out of 9th grade but is "the biggest, bestest UofM football fan in the world" can't help but talk down about MSU's academics and culture. It is a matter of personal pride to all Spartans when they see dynamic, world class art and architecture come to our campus because it is further proof that while we are the best agricultural school in the entire world, we are so much more than the "cow college" we are portrayed as.

Also, and probably of greater note than my first point is that, in spite of its size, MSU has a very strong sense of community and when an alumni of the stature of Eli Broad comes back and gives such a generous and outstanding donation to our campus community, you can't help but be proud.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I was appluading Michigan State simply because an expansion of this caliber shows that the University is willing to take steps to increase the viability of the school even farther than where it currently stands. MSU is a top notch academic institution and this new building simply enforces the notion that MSU will be proactive and not reactive.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Denmark a year ago. While getting off a train, someone stopped me and said "go green". I was a bit confused as I did not realize the reason for the confrontation...I was wearing a MSU Social Work polo. After arriving back at the hotel, I was greeted by a message from the local alumni association with an invitation to catch the basketball game on satellite at a local watering hole.

Michigan State University is a special institution, as are all of our great public universities. The "go green" is universal. It goes beyond athletics. It i the same reason they play the MSU fight song at graduation ceremonies. Each part of the institution is connected in this way.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word of Caution about Broad and his collection.

Its dangerous to assume that since Broad's name will be on the museum that MSU will get a portion of his collection. The LA County Museum of Art is set to open an enormous $56 million dollar addition with Broad's name on it and just last week Broad announced that he would not be donating his collection to the museum. LACMA assumed it was the favored institution and that is not the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01 /08/arts/design/08muse.html?_r =1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

Collectors like Broad want to ensure when they donate artwork to a museum that a large portion of it will be on display. The size of the proposed MSU museum is quite small, but it is possible that MSU could receive a portion of the collection.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing to note.

The MSU museum will be 18,000 square feet which is quite small, while the LACMA addition is 56,000 square feet. If Broad has 2,000 works of art and is concerned about a large portion of his art not being on display at LACMA, why is the MSU building a better option?

2 Quotes from NYTimes:

"Mr. Broad said, as his collection grew, and it became clear that no museum, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art included, would commit to placing a large percentage of the works on permanent exhibit."

“We don’t want it to end up in storage, in either our basement or somebody else’s basement,” Mr. Broad said. “So I, as the collector, am saying, ‘If you’re not willing to commit to show it, why don’t we just make it available to you when you want it, as opposed to giving it to you, and then our being unhappy that it’s only up 10 percent or 20 percent of the time or not being shown at all?’”

El_jimbo

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure MSU will take a portion of his collection, clearly not all of it.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, El_jimbo, I'm just trying to figure out why that perspective is different. But I don't want this discussion to get off track so ignore my wandering thoughts.

Both of the big state schools are making some major statements and changes lately.

The Biomedical research building at the end of Washtenaw in the Hill area of UM's campus is an impressive post-modern edifice. UM and Ann Arbor in general are also making a notable shift towards preferring height. While the upcoming North Quad will be more famous for being an impressively executed neo-traditional building rather than something innovative, what really stands out is its height. Numerous tall off-campus developments are in the offing.

MSU has the advantage of a decent amount of space for new greenfield development, which I think will foster lots of innovative architectural applications.

I'm also interested to find out about what this collection will include.

Can anyone post a link to the current museum's site?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't trying to aim that specifically at you Mack. If it came that way, I apologize. In reality, in spite of all the economic hardships this state is facing, it is quite commendable what the public universities of this state have managed to achieve in recent years. Both MSU and UM being the largest have been improving facilities, but people in the Detroit area are noticing the improvements at Wayne State, CMU has built some brand new buildings recently that will enhance the quality of education there. Grand Valley is developing into quite a nice little college out in Allendale. I'm not as aware of what Eastern and Western are doing or of the state schools in the UP, but of the projects I know of, the public schools of the state of Michigan are doing their part to set us up to compete in the world economy in the future.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here the link the Kresge Museum, the current art museum

http://artmuseum.msu.edu/

In addition, to both museums another cultural institution that is due to see improvements is the Wharton Center, the campus and Lansing area major performing arts center, a campaign is underway to raise money for the renovation

http://www.whartoncenter.com/support/capitalcampaign.aspx

(Message edited by eric on January 17, 2008)

(Message edited by eric on January 17, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4369
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eljimbo, no apology needed.

I think upbuilding is a good sign to an extent. Here at UM there is constant construction on big and small matters, and I'm beginning to think that the university is acting like the Works Progress Administration or something, like they always want to keep construction companies busy. On the other hand, most of the companies working around here are Detroit-based, so at least it's all helping people in the area.

And no matter how much new stuff you build, a campus is still defined by maintaining its historic buildings, and UM and MSU have a monopoly on this. Grand Valley can build all the new stuff they want but it will never have that unique old-college character.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.