Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ron Murphy Detroit Vinyl legend passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4467
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have belatedly learned of the passing of Ron Murphy, a figure who spanned those two pinnacles of Detroit music, soul and techno with with vinyl mastering skills.

This is one of these behind the scenes powers that often get overlooked but who will be greatly missed.

Ron was a DetroitYES forumer [Correctone] but posted infrequently, posting far more often on our sister site SoulfulDetroit.com where he was a revered member. He authored the Fortune Records webisode and generously donated an original unpublished 45 recording by the Dynamics, "Train to Soulville", for SoulfulDetroit Fundraising.

Click Here to see the extent of his impact on Detroit Techno.

Thread on his passing on Soulfuldetroit.

The master in his studio in Westland.

Ron Murphy

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Murphy will be missed ... an unsung player in the music community of Detroit. I came to know him somewhat when he spoke at the Detroit Historical Museum in conjunction with the Techno exhibit that was there a few years back.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wealth of knowledge about Detroit music history -- spanning more than 50 years -- is gone as a result of Ron's passing. He had a lot of great anecdotes about the old days.

I, and many others, considered Ron to be THE authority on Fortune Records.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad news.

Many friends, as well as myself, used Ron primarily to get our records done. He was the "man behind the curtain" to the majority of classic techno releases to come out of Detroit. This is but a tip of the iceberg, musically, to his influence on Detroit music.

There was nothing better than his rants on digital recording and kids nowadays. :-)

Godspeed and RIP, Ron.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 989
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron's article on Fortune was a Gold Standard for other researchers. I spoke with him only a few times and Ron was always willing to share information. He was a gent.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4471
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great video with Ron describing the vinyl cutting process in his studio is online at www.soundenterprises.com along with an announcement for his memorial service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.