Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Emil's buffalo burgers... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this place on Gratiot near Richmond still open? I couldn't find it in a search. They live buffaloes and ostriches in the corral in the back of the place.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was closed a few years back as i recall.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I drive by there everyday during work and it sure looks closed to me.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5976
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like my burger on one of Bushay's seeded buns, with fries and a Vernors, please.

jjaba.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One coming right up. How about one for the road?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go there often in the late 70's. I drove there about 3 years ago and it was closed and no Buff's, but about 5 yrs ago, drove there and it was closed, but there were 1 or 2 Buff's in the pen in back. Nobody was around.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Emil's with my parents and cousins when we were kids.
They had peacocks, goats, and several live buffalo with a huge cart filled with ears of corn. We kids would feed the buffalo corn through the fence, great fun for us city kids. The hamburgers were good we called them " buffaloburgers" even though they were beef. The buffalo head above the jukebox scared me. I drove out Gratiot 2 years ago to see if Emil's was still there.
The place was still there but looked like it had been closed for some time. The oddest thing was one lone buffalo chewing on some hay behind the closed restaurant and not another soul around.

Silas
Username: Silas

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember driving way out their once a long time ago. We saw the Buffalo’s in the back from the side road. The one looked like it had a terrible case of hay fever, because it’s nose was dripping mucus down to the ground.
We went in for a Buffalo burger and a drink. I really couldn’t tell if it was real Buffalo meat or not, but that’s what they called it.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you you're out here & don't go to Santa Catalina there's a place a mile West of "Eden East" down Route 66 called the Buffalo Inn(since 1929), the college students love it;
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Res taurant_Review-g33206-d468323- Reviews-Buffalo_Inn-Upland_Cal ifornia.html

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right down the road is a log cabin restaurant, I can't remember the name but they have fresh 3/4lb buffalo burgers. And a buffalo steak dinner. They are both much better than Emils was. Emil was serving beefalo, half beef half buffalo.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be an Emil's meat market on Chester(?). Emil is a common Belgian name. Belgians were referred to as "Buffalos". They started identifying with the nickname. The annual Belgian parade used to head east on E. Warren past Balduck Park and included a caged buffalo (bison). I was wondering if there was any connection between Emil, of the meat market, and Emil's buffalo burgers.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the market was Embos.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, Thank you for dusting the cobwebs off my memory.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't want to make the trek out M-19, Union Street still has the "Tony's Buffalo Burger"

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in 1976 the place was called Bill's or bob's buffalo tavern my dads country band played there. i rember the double door cooler out away from the bar just off the make shift dance floor. my buddy and me lifted several bottles of anny greensprings to take out back to the fence and drink them with the buffalo, killer night thanks for stiring up a great memory....

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad ind I are friends with John, the former owner. John drank a little too much from his own bar. The state police made a living off of that stretch of Gratiot. I'm from Marysville originally and use to go there three / four times a week. What I will always remember is that I was shooting on John's pool league the night that O.J. was making a run for the Mexican border. Oh - and my first drunk driving ticket happened after I left Emil's in 1999. Much smarter now after my second one. Decided that drinking and driving ANY amount of alcohol will NEVER happen again. But boy did we party at Emil's. On Tuesdays we played poker and John would just tell everyone to throw the cans in the corner if the waitress didn't come fast enough - that she could pick them up. John was a little rough around the edges to say the least. He was a street fighter. One of the best bar boxers I ever saw in action. No one messed with him because 99% of the time he was drunk and 100% of the time he was crazy. Good times!

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhartmich, I agree that was a great time,Emils was a fun place. No amount of alcohol for me either. I was pulled over last winter, for what I dont know. the officer asked for my license, but that was it. I think he thought my car was stolen or something. the next dayI went on BAC in Michigan website. If he would have asked me to blow i would have been in trouble.A 5"3 106 person could blow a .8 for two beers!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.