Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pet Owner? Looking for a vet in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Model D this week......
D-Biz: Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital known for its loving care, historic digs
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/DBIZpatterson1260 8.aspx

I take my 2 dogs to Patterson, plus, she is our "on-call vet" for all of the dogs at work. The customer service is unparalleled. If you are a Detroit pet owner, I highly recommend this practice!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have used Patterson since we moved to Detroit over 6 years ago. Love them! Our dogs love it there and they are great with the animals. Highly recommended!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4608
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anybody recommend a good vet for cats in the Ferndale area?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge...
Little Friends of Ferndale is amazing...the best vet i have ever had. Its on 9 just past hilton.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge...
Little Friends of Ferndale is amazing...The best vet i have ever had. Its on 9 just past Hilton.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson is great. One of the few services that actually improved after I moved into the City from B'Ham.

TRP

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4609
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Defend. I know just where that place is, and that's where I was thinking to go.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to always take our pets to the vet at renfrew and 8 mile not sure if it is still there

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is still a sign on the door for the vet office at Renfrew and 8 mile but I don't have any idea if it is operating.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a big fan of Jefferson Vet on Jefferson near Conner. Their link is ttp://www.jeffersonvet.com/

They are a little pricey but seem to go a little extra for their customers. They also have limited boarding.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one at Renfrew and 8 Mile is LaFond and, yes, it's still open. I like Dr. Favret and have taken my cat there since we moved to the area.

862-4585

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 596
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been taking my dogs and cats to the Jefferson Avenue Veterinary Clinic for over 35 years - that's long before Dr. Timothy Schacht and his wife Dr. Alice Marczewski purchased it from the estate of the late Dr. Al Jarvis.

It then was on East Jefferson near Holcomb across from The Jeffersonian apartments.

The Schacht's built their new clinc at 11300 East Jefferson on the southwest corner of St. Jean about 10 or 15 years ago.

It is specially designed for veterinary care, not another standard building, and while I don't know who the architect was, it must have won design awards.

But, the bottom line is that Jefferson Avenue Veterinary Clinc provides excellent expert care and I can recommend them most highly.

Bob Cosgrove
Indian Village

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson Vet as well. My mom uses them exclusively and they kept one of our cats alive when it wasn't looking great. Two thumbs up!

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first got my kitten, I took her to Patterson. But after checking out Jefferson, I realized their prices were much better! Patterson charges $38 for base office visit, while Jefferson charges $24 and the staff were awesome and courteous.

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We like Harvey Animal Clinic on Mack in Detroit. Dr. Alexander is such a nice vet and is so good with the animals as is her husband.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson Vets are hugh on my list of I will never ever take my pets there. Once was enough!
I took my ancient Persian cat. I believe in supporting local business in Detroit. I thought he had a bladder blockage or urinary tract infection. The good Doctor suggest an enema. I approved the procedure but asked them to board Matilda over-night because of work constraints. I asked my husband to pick up Matilda on his way home from work. It was lucky for the Vet that it wasn't me. Matilda came home matted in "shit". They did the enema and made no effort to bath him. He was left over night caged in drying matted feces. It took me forever to clean him up. To add insult to injury, my husband paid the bill, about $200 in full and in cash. About a month latter, they sent me a bill for a nominal sum as balance due. They had made a mistake on the invoice (I think it was $2.00) charged us for their error and added a finance fee. I was livid. This happened 10 or more years age and my blood pressure still goes up just thinking about it.Many people in the Jefferson Chalmers corridor have shared similar horror stories with me. If you are on the eastside try Harveys, Theres a vet on Kercheval and Lakepointe thats also good, they also do animal rescue. Trust me they are all pricey but ethical competent care must come first.

Dissaver
Username: Dissaver

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Dr. Chris Platz at
Platz Animal Hospital
15310 Mack Ave
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
(313) 886-0300

I have known him since I was a little kid and have taken all my family pets there. He is a great vet and an even better guy! He really loves and cares for animals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.