Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sitcoms Referencing Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were there any Sitcoms that referenced Detroit in a good or bad way?

I'm specifically was looking for the good on sitcoms from the 50s and 60s. I do know the Big 3 provided the automobiles featured on these shows. However, any Sitcom from any decade in any way will surely be appreciated.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Martin in the 90's

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home Improvement of course.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home Improvement
Sister, Sister

I didn't see anything relating to the 50's or 60's

I will search a little deeper and post on the forum

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Seinfeld George had to go to a funeral in Detroit. No negativity came into that funny event.

However, when Jerry and George wanted to make one of George's girlfriends fall asleep, they said that they would show her a home video of George's boyhood trip to Michigan. The hilarity of this makes up for the slight towards the state of Michigan.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman tried to drive to Michigan with a mail truck full of cans to return.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might have some problems finding what you're looking for, Detroitrise

From what I've read about TV at that time, one of the things that they did was to make them as "universal" as possible, and didn't really specify where a particular show took place.

But the person to ask about all things TV, would be Ed Golick.

If he hasn't responded to this thread, you can find
his website is here.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a sitcom in the late 70's about a guy who worked construction with his son ,then there's "Rhythm & Blues"-set in a Detroit rap radio station debuted same time as Martin, "8 Simple Rules", "Freaks & Geeks"-as far as these shows go it's not really bragging rights-I mean when I take visitors around Seattle we'll go to the basement of the Elliot Bay Book Co. because that's the prototype of where Niles & Frasier Crane go to lunch but there's nothing like that in a Detroit sitcom, frankly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01 03525/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8 _Simple_Rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ategory:Television_shows_set_i n_Michigan

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 simple rules for dating my teenage daughter a lot of these shows take place in royal oak. sister sister was g.p.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's there was short lived show called "joe's world"
set in Detroit. the show was on there air for a very short time
I remember the guy that played Peter Brady was on this show
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt00 78632/

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just one episode, but The Munsters had one called "The Fregosi Curse." The Munsters fly to Detroit to meet with Henry J. Fregosi, the CEO of Amalgamated Motors to break the Fregosi curse.

http://www.tv.com/the-munsters/the-fregosi-emerald/episode/12855/recap.html

(Message edited by rjk on January 14, 2008)

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In "Good Times", Louis Gosset, Jr. played a Cousin from Detroit of Esther Role's. This was after John Amos left the show.

Ken

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, on the show Sister Sister they went to U of M and stayed on campus

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throughout the Mary Tyler Moore show, Lou references how he worked in Detroit at the Free Press.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freaks & Geeks took place in some un named suburb but was based on the writers experiences at Chippewa Valley High School in Clinton Twp.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In South Park after Satan kills saddam, Satan asks, "how did you get back here", to which Saddam replies "where was I gonna go, Detroit?"

I know, I know too much about South Park.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily a sitcom, but the female lead (I can't remember her name right now) on Northern Exposure was from Grosse Pointe. One episode had her taking the good Jewish doctor there to meet her WASPish family.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyine fir the comments. I would definitely love to watch that episode of The Munsters, and see how they pictured Detroit at that time.

Oh, and I know of 2 other shows. Good Times referenced Detroit several times, but in sort of a competitive manner (we were in the same league at the time). Then, on Family Matters, Harriet had a younger cousin from Detroit who came to visit, but she sent him back because of his "disrespectful" ways and how he got Eddie and Steve into some mess.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's one more Munsters episode that references Detroit, "All-Star Munster" with Pat Buttram.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6132
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise... all Munsters episodes were filmed in sound stages... no on site locations, even when Detroit references were included. Now as for the Fregosi Emerald... that curse is real! :-)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I know that. I'm sure they had scenes of the city though during the episodes.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the sitcom 'Sanford and Son'...Lamont and Rollo pretended to be bourgeois to impress a couple of coquettish women that flew in from Detroit...As it turned out, the women where not impressed by Lamont and Rollo's fallacious and highfalutin act.

I recall, later on__in one scene the two Detroit girls 'diss'n' the imported wine that Rollo offered...I think is was pronounced 'Bour-zo-lay', but becoming very excited when Fred(Lamont's Father) offered them a glass of Ripple__(funny stuff!)

blksoul_atcha!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer Simpson's half-brother Herb Powell. Herb Powell, who looks just like Homer, except taller, slimmer and with more hair, is the head of eponymously-named automobile manufacturer Powell Motors, which is in danger of being taken over by the Japanese because of otherwise poor management. He is very rich, but is quite unhappy not knowing who he is and where he comes from. He is overjoyed upon hearing of his half-brother and invites the entire Simpson family to stay at his mansion in Detroit.

Herb Powell

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayllik, yup that's the show-"Soul Man" took place in Royal Oak for some reason; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01 18473/

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6143
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, maybe you will understand this... NO scenes, NO aerial shots, NO photos, NO footage of Detroit were ever shown on The Munsters... NONE!

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Alf, there was some (recurring?) bit about a place on his home planet called Detroit. All the best R&B bands came from there.

Good old Alf.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reference to the Sanford and Son episode...I believe it was pronounced "bo-jo-lay" and Fred wooed the ladies with not just ripple, but a pot of onion stew as well:-)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that ONION- STOO-OOH-OOH lol... Fred came in and showed the ladies a good time. I remember one of the chicks being named Della lol.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, well thanks for bursting my balloon.

I will be highly disappointed now if I ever saw that episode.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Simpsons have countless Detroit references some of my favorite are when the family spend a lot of time in the country they become like laid back country folk. When they are ready to leave you see Homer leaning on the car and comments harshly on the rich people by the fence and their fancy fur coats. Marge tells homer that they are Moose. Homer then yells at the Moose"Go back to Grosse Pointe" Then there is the time Marge shows her ability to toss a drunk out by throwing Homer which Homer responds " Ah yes! Detroit style very nice" There is also when Homer says "We have a saying around here....let Michigan handle it!"

14andhayes
Username: 14andhayes

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Farmington Hills native Al Jean's influence with the Detroit/Michigan references on the Simpsons

(Message edited by 14andhayes on January 16, 2008)

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this Home Improvement spin off was Detroit based also.

Thunder Alley

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01 08957/

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4469
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does "City Council" on local cable count? :-)

Not picking on Detroit either, almost all metro city councils are on local cable.

Crash
Username: Crash

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The TV show Scrubs has a character Dr. Cox who often wears a Detroit Red Wings hockey jersey or a Cheli's Chili shirt. Sometimes, he'll make all his residents wear Red Wing stuff too. :-)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, thats because John is a friend of Chris Tselios

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robocop: The Series was in Detroit.

/wait, INTENTIONALLY comedic?
//got nothing else then.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6983
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister Sister is probably filmed scenes in Grosse Pointe, MI.

And Home Improvement film scenes in Keego Harbor, MI.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Soul Man" with Dan Aykroyd was a failed Home Improvement spin-off. He was a widowed motorcycle driving priest in Royal Oak....

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a speeding ticket in 2001 on that corner they show between scenes on Martin - over on Jefferson & Rivard I think it is. . . (the apartment where his lives on the show is in the "River Place Apartments)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dale on king of the hill once mentioned a double murder in Detroit while reading a newspaper.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of Lily Tomlin's characters, an uptight society matron, is "the Grosse Pointe Lady".

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 917
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...who is a takeoff of WXYZ-TV's Lady of Charm, Edythe Fern Melrose.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if it was the same Sanford and Son episode mentioned before but there was one where Fred mentioned a stripper named Lottie The Body. I am sure many here know more about her than I do but she was working in the 90's at Bomac's jazz club at the foot of Gratiot. She was very funny and acted like she was still "the body".

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a sitcom, but "Animal Cops: Detroit"

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aunt Lottie:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~km aitland/thebody.html

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Ms. Lottie was and still is Cool.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a sitcom, but there was a short lived drama back around 1995 or so called Easy Streets that was at least partially filmed in Detroit. I remember it had some great shots of downtown. It starred Ken Olin, and was cancelled mid season.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the WB had a short lived show called Grosse Pointe...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.