Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit attracts top designers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Outsider architects leave their legacies"

Detroit is one of nations best cites for architecture. This great architecture city is attracting outside architects to build here.
From example like, the Cadillac Centre to Fisher Building.
A quote from article,
"Detroit becoming something new is a story that never stops. No wonder talented designers like Caradonna have found in this city an irresistible canvas."
More in JOHN GALLAGHER article in the Free press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080113/BUS INESS04/801130578

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit becoming something new is a story that never stops. No wonder talented designers like Caradonna have found in this city an irresistible canvas."

It's too bad that some on that other thread did want this to stop.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't make the building any better.

Changes can be good changes or bad changes. Those other architects made good changes.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4338
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's kind of a weak point he was making. Of course a lot of talent comes from elsewhere. I've never heard of the expectation that most major buildings should be built by people who were born here. Albert Kahn made Detroit his HQ, anyway, and I believe most the buildings he designed came after he set up shop here. That is taking nothing away from him, as all of his buildings are works of art, but I'm just pointing out that he's an outsider only in that he was born in Germany.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 475
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albert Kahn was brought here by his father when he was 11. It's fair to say that he was a Detroit architect. Eero Saarinen was also brought by his father, when he was 13.

Eliel Saarinen (moved when he was 50) and Minoru Yamazaki (moved when he was 32) are people who came to Detroit.

Mies van der Rohe was hired, and didn't have anything to do with Detroit. Same with John Portman, Philip Johnson, and Daniel Burnham.

Howard Crane moved to Detroit when he was 19.

Wirt Rowland wasn't famous, but was homegrown.

Regardless I like Detroit's architecture a lot. And I agree that Detroit has been in a constant state of renaissance, but I think the article is more about boosting the new building's design than anything else.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.