Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Motorcycle Jacket History « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladot01
Username: Ladot01

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if Detroit has any displays at any museum or other place dealing with the legendary Buco leather MC jackets made in Detroit through the mid 1960's?

I know one Buco offshoot, Brooks Leather is still operating in Oak Park, and the last Buco facility was on Eight Mile in Southfield I believe 21220 W. 8 Mile Rd. Anyone know if anything left of Buco still exists. Buco, of course, was the brand name of Joseph Buegleisen.

I also think Reed leather is still in business right in Detroit.

I grew up in Detroit, leaving after graduating from WSU, will be back this week to visit, and hope to touch base a bit with the leather history that I wasn't even aware of in 27 years living in Detroit.

Any bits and scraps of info would be appreciated, such as if that address on Eight Mile has an old building on it still?

Chuck Hammerstein
(some may recall my uncles' drugstore, first in Detroit and later in Oak Park, now of course gone.)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That address is between Evergreen and Lahser on the north side of Eight Mile. Most of the buildings are intact in that stretch. I will put it on my list to look at this afternoon.

Ladot01

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow thanks! I'm leaving for Detroit tomorrow, and will have only sporadic computer access, so I'll look forward to your posting.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an auction for a replica jacket:

One of the best Motorcycle Jacket styles of the 20th Century were the J21, J22, J23 and J24 styles from the design house of Joseph F. Buegeleisen of Detroit, MI. The company was better known as Buco. The J24 was hailed as the "coolest motorcycle jacket ever" by Rin Tanaka, motorcycle jacket historian and author of "Motorcycle Jackets - A Century of Design" published by Shiffer Books. Due to their popularity, vintage Buco Horsehide jackets fetch prices as high as $1000 or more on eBay and other auction houses and vintage boutiques. New "Buco clone" jackets are marketed at $1,000 (excluding belt) on other internet websites.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little something on Mr. Buegeleisen's politics and home.

Mr. Joseph Buegeleisen of Detroit telephoned and wanted the President to have the following message: "Your removal of General MacArthur was necessary if we are to maintain our form of Government. We applaud you. Sgd. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Buegeleisen, 3308 Glendale, Detroit, Michigan." He said he wanted the President to know that they were behind him before he went on the air.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/m acarthur/filmmore/reference/pr imary/misc05.html

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, my wife has a Buco Horsehide jacket she got from her Mom who was a model for the Buco catalog way back. She wears it all the time.

$1000? Hmmm...

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More history!

NOTES ON THE HISTORY OF THE MOTORCYCLE JACKET

Early jackets used for motorcycle riding from 1920-30 were aviator/military style jackets with a button front closure, and short mandarin style collar. Brown goatskin styles were very popular with short styling, fitted waist. Many of these emulated the A-1 jacket used by the Army Air Corp prior to WWII. Also used were button front coat styles constructed of thick horsehide. The hides were abundantly available prior to WWII because the Army Calvary and most farmers used horses and provided hides from their stock to the clothing industry.

The initial development of the motorcycle jacket began with companies like Schott who opened in 1913, and began producing motorcycle jackets during the 1920’s. In Detroit, The Joseph Buegeleisen Co. started business in 1933 providing motorcycle accessories & saddlebags, and began producing motorcycle jackets in the 1940’s. Other early jacket makers/retailers include Indian Motorcycles with only one model jacket, the “Ranger” for men, and the “Rangerette” for women. The woman’s model had the pocket and zipper opposite of the man’s model. Both jackets were produced during the 1940’s until the bankruptcy of the company in 1953.

Harley Davidson has also fielded quality leathers since the early days, starting business in 1910. The 1940’s “Cycle Champ” for men, and the “Cycle Queen” for the ladies were the epitome of the style and function during the 1940’s. The “Pistol Pocket” holster shaped design on Harley Davidson jackets was also used by such makers as: Buco, Hercules, Beck, and a number of others. This was a popular 1940’s design element that carried over into the 1960’s with the Sears Oakbrook model. Another old style design incorporates a storage pocket in the back accessed by a zippered opening on the left side, not unlike the pockets on many hunting jackets. This style was used by companies such as: Buco, Blatt, and Grais. These design elements required more man hours to produce. As a result they fell victim to the need to cut corners and streamline the process. All of this maneuvering was in order to compete with products being imported and sold for mass consumption by non motorcyclists of the early rock & roll period.

An additional factor in the design of the motorcycle jacket was the Seminal influence on fashion provided by Marlon Brando in “The Wild Ones” in which his double breasted “one star” Schott jacket became the norm. Many jacket manufacturers followed suit, and added another star to the epaulet, though not necessarily a quality improvement over Schott’s original.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit, I would take that with a grain or two of salt. Go onto the eBay site and do a search for Buco jackets to see how they are doing this month. I would think your wife's pride in her jacket would be worth more than all the tea in China. :-)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marlin brando wore what is called a Buco J23 horsehide jacket. The name buco is from Joseph Buegeleisen leather crafters right here in Detroit Michigan. There is a company called Lost Worls inc. that bought the buco design and sells a reproduction of that coat for $1000.
BigDogbiker.com

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lost Worlds is still around, but not in Detroit:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/i ndex.htm

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1940 address:

Jos Buegeleisen (wife Elizabeth)
leather goods
1036 Beaubien, 2nd floor
2939 Leslie, home

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4268
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. Here's mine:

Jimaz

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooks Leather is now in Union Lake. They say they have been in business over 50 years.

http://www.brooksleather.com/h tml/home.html

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the local leather shops, I haven't had a chance to research them yet. Looks like Ginevere is not part of the tradition, though.

GINEVERE LEATHER, since 1981 248-399-9896
911 W 9 Mile Rd
Ferndale, Michigan 48220

LEATHER LIMITED 248-583-9207
412 W 14 Mile Rd
Troy, Michigan 48083

LEATHER CRAFTSMAN INC 248-588-5566
316 W 14 Mile Rd
Troy, Michigan 48083
LASZLO'S LEATHERS 248-737-4515
5382 Centerbrook Dr
West Bloomfield, Michigan 48322

WILSONS THE LEATHER EXPERTS 810-385-5155
4350 24th Ave # 220
Fort Gratiot, Michigan 48059

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1966, I picked up an HD 59 Duo-Glide from the oldest HD dealership--the Knuth Brothers near downtown Milwaukee. Also got the more expensive version of the black Harley leather jacket (with the kidney support for the back and all the zippers and pockets). It had ample lining and weighed a ton.

What model jacket might that have been? It sold new for something around $50 42 years ago. And [kicking myself because I gave it away to an ex GF later], how much might it be worth today?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 12, 2008)

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leather Unlimited 1601 W. Lafayette (at Trumbull) Detroit, Mi.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

21220 W. Eight Mile, Southfield is just a few doors east of Lahser Road on the north side of Eight Mile. It is a one story block building perhaps 100 feet wide, and goes back at least the same distance. It has a large fenced back parking lot where there were apparently truck bays at one time. The sign in front says Action Distributors, but the building is currently empty. There is a small sign posted on it that says Fire Wind Water Restoration.

Here is why it is vacant:

Posted: Thursday, 15 November 2007 4:50AM
Fire Closes 8 Mile Road
Scott Ryan, Ron Dewey Reporting

Southfield (WWJ) -- A Thursday morning blaze shut down part of 8 Mile Road in Southfield. And the closure was expected to extend into part of morning rush hour.

The fire was reported at around 2:30 a.m. at Action Distributors, a one-story building on 8 Mile near Lahser. The road was closed because fire crews had to stretch hoses across the roadway.

It's the second fire in recent weeks at the 30,000 square foot warehouse building, which stores lots of flea market-type items. The building had been closed since that first blaze.

There were concerns that parts of the building had collapsed, and that other parts could still come down. There were no injuries.

As of 5 a.m., traffic was still being detoured on 8 Mile. Alternates include 9 Mile and 7 Mile roads. Stay with WWJ's traffic and weather together every ten minutes on the 8's for the latest.

© MMVII WWJ Radio, All Rights Reserved.

Here is their current address just to complete the info, not that they have anything to do with leather jackets:

Action Distributors
14611 E 9 Mile Rd
Eastpointe, MI 48021
(586) 772-4320

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, you just have to shop around. Try Google. Here is one on eBay, it doesn't give the date and I don't know if it is like your jacket or not. No bids yet, and it will end tomorrow:

Here is a nice one from the 50s, again, no bids and a really friendly opening bid:

/end thread jack.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reed Leather does not appear to have Detroit contact info. Their site says "Quality Leather Garments since 1950".

http://www.reedsportswear.com/ index.html

However, McCrae's still lists them on Fort Street between Trumbull and Rosa Parks (12th):

Reed Sportswear Manufacturing
1652 W Fort St
Detroit, MI , 48216-1915
Phone: 313-963-7980
FAX: 313-963-3024
Business Activity: Importer

Products Description:
Manufactures men`s, youths` & boys` leather, wool & down-filled outerwear; manufactures women`s & misses` outerwear Clothing, Shirts and blouses, Sweaters, Coats and jackets, Suits, Dresses and skirts and saris and kimonos, Overalls and coveralls, Folkloric clothing, Undergarments, Hosiery

Ladot01

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to thank everyone and especially the detailed info on the most recent Buco address on 8-Mile. In Rin Tinaka's book on MC jackets there's a rendering of the building as it appeared in the 1950s and it sounds like the same sort of thing, apparently long sold and used for something else in between. There are two earlier locations mentioned, the first on Beubien.

That's a fantastic photo above of the Buco jacket. I collect jackets too, and a good vintage Buco commands a nice price, but like anything else, there needs to be a willing buyer interested at the time. At Goodwill or whatever they can come cheap, at a vintage leather store they will be about $400.00 or much higher depending on condition, and current supply/demand situation.

It is significant to note that Buco made jackets for Sears in the late 40s and 50s. I found my son a great Buco D-pocket jacket in brown horsehide at a local vintage shop. It had no label at all but was easily identifiable as a Buco by way of Sears by the lining and design features.

Reed, according to Tinaka, was also an offshoot of Buco, with Saul Silver as CEO.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. If you're referring to my photo, I didn't mean to imply that it was a Buco.

It sure is high quality though. I've had it for years and it still looks new. The amount of handwork on the thing is incredible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.