Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Word out on the street is... [Slow's Expanding Locations] « Previous Next »
Archive through January 14, 2008Gazhekwe30 01-14-08  9:51 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing was there before in my lifetime.
The old empty building was completely gutted and renovated. Maybe you're thinking of Tito's - a bar that was a couple of doors down, nearer to LJs. But
it was not a restaurant.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is American Masala still open? I tried to eat there two or three weeks ago, and there was a sign on the door saying "Seized by the US Government".

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building that just went off the market a month ago that might be rumored to be lined up for a slows take out location is the one story stone structure at cass and alexandrine (north west corner). This was used as a church previously. It is a great building and adds a nice touch between the old miami and the willis village area. It will be interesting to see how a slows take out does. Many people go to slows for the see and be seen action plus the section of brews.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't know how any restaurant can claim to be a BBQ place and not serve a rib tip sandwich.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Masala SHOULD be closed. The service there is terrible, their hours are sporadic, and there is a general climate of uncleanliness. Just my opinion, I love Indian food and really tried to patronize this place.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had bad service at american masalaon both of my visits, bad operators, good riddens. Is the place on Monroe decent? sizl N Spice?

Michigansheik

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had bad service at american masala on both of my visits, bad operators, good bye! Is the place on Monroe decent? Sizl N Spice?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The decor is rather plain; but I find the food to be quite good. If you go there, after dinner go next door to Happy Cream for an ice cream cone for desert!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I've been happy with Sizzlin' Spice each of the several times I've gone. If you ask for the food hot, it comes exactly the way I like it, i.e., a real kick, but I'm not weeping uncontrollably. They'd get more business if they did a quick remodel.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Northern Lights the same menu/chef/food as when it was the Tandem?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Sizzl'n'Spice. The lunch buffet is good.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my cwpf's close warm personal friends are telling me that the new slows in midtown will be focused more on catering. I believe they said there would be take out as well

(Message edited by chi-taku on January 14, 2008)

Michigansheik

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx i'll check out SnS soon! they did put in a new tile floor a few months ago, so i guess they are remodelling, just slowly!

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About Slow's does anyone remember what was there before?

In the middle 50's it was a candy store that I used to ride my bike to every week to pick up a copy of The Sporting News. I don't remember it being as large as Slows is now, however.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slows is 2 storefronts.

There is one photo on the web of it while abandoned. I ran across it last year. Some father took a picture of it in 2003 or 4 and the front of the building is boarded up with red paint saying "Slows coming soon"

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Slows, was pretty slow in the making?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Slow's was a very dingy and rundown looking Chinese Takeout...

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Slows Patio.....

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old storefront with a hint of the new

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My coworkers and I look forward to the new location, hopefully it will be soon.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope we can get in this weekend. Coming to town for NAIAS! Always a yearly trek for me. However, I haven't been to Slows for probably 2+ years.

I suspect its just gonna be too busy this weekend. Maybe we'll have to do Xochimilco or Roma Cafe. X's has been probably 3 years since I've been. Never been to Roma.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a partial story on ModelDMedia (with next week's date?) saying Slows has purchased a building at Cass and Alexandrine:

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/slowsexpands12708.asp x

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.... Could this be the building that they purchased?
Cass

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't get the link to open, but that's going to be a pretty hot location once the South University Village opens. ALMOST too far to hike to for lunch from the Law School on Palmer. Maybe for a special occasion or staving off productivity.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a crappy building on the opposite corner there currently undergoing a facade overhaul (bricks all over the sidewalk?)

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived on that block, that building was a church.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That picture is the building that was listed in the short-lived article.

Here is a screen shot of the article from earlier:

Slows article from Model D

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh bother! that is hilarious about American Masala...did anyone find out what happened?! I went there a few times right when it first opened but it progressively got weirder and weirder each time. The last time it was completely dead during dinner time, and the waiter sat at the table next to me and my girlfriend and just stared at us while we ate. ahahah terrible!

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan--
I had a similar experience. My girlfriend and I met another couple for dinner at American Masala. We were the only ones in the restaurant(it was about 7:30)and the silence was deafening. After about 15 minutes of being stared at by the waiter and cook, we mentioned that perhaps a little music would make the atmosphere a bit nicer. Our waiter told us he did not own a radio or CD player, and that music was too "distracting" anyway. We bolted our food and got out of there. One of my stranger dining experiences . . .

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any growth in the D is great, but I refuse to wait to eat at Slow's. I am thrilled they are doing well but it isn't worth the kind of waits you encounter there.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sec106

Any growth in the D is great, but I refuse to wait to eat at Slow's. I am thrilled they are doing well but it isn't worth the kind of waits you encounter there.

Last night we were seated as soon as we walked in the door. Stop crying and go at a non peak time and the wait is minimal.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone seems to want Detroit to become this bustling city of yesteryear, yet they are too impatient to wait a half hour for a table. Good point TBox.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or everyone wants a bustling city of the tomorrow but I pretty much just see complaints and non support and then you loose places like this and Carl's. But you will wait in line at Applebee's

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well hopefully at this carry out location you'll be able to actually call in and place your carry out order instead of having to come in, place your order, then wait. :P

Rax

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or everyone wants a bustling city of the tomorrow but I pretty much just see complaints and non support

That and a lot of armchair experts.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is a great building and adds a nice touch between the old miami and the willis village area

What exactly is the "Willis Village Area?" I mean, I know I have been gone for a year - and only been back to Detroit about a dozen times in the past year - so maybe I missed it.

Rax

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A low income apartment complex. You aren't missing anything.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitfats- thats hilarious!! same kind of weirdness we had! lol its funny to laugh at now. i forgot to mention that after our dinner in bizarro world we both got so sick to our stomachs we threw up hahaha. ewe.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area on willis at cass has been labeled in multiple city and promotional documents as the West Willis Village. It currently contains Avalon Bakery, Flo clothing Boutique, Goodwells grocier and deli, Revolutionary books, and the spiral collective gallery.

It really is quite a nice little collection

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am actually more fond of West Selden Village.

Although East Temple Village is pretty nice.

And I am really starting to dig Central Forest Village.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.