Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What's with the Freep forums? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://forums.freep.com/viewto pic.php?t=72221
Comments regarding an article about a man in Ferndale who killed himself by stepping in front of a train.

What is up with the racists, bigots, and sickos on the Freep forums? I have read their forums for a while and have always been surprised by the amount of hatred and fear displayed there, but this is one reaches a new level. Really says a lot about the Freep's readers. DetroitYes has its arguments, debates, and discussions... but it never even approaches this disgustingly low level.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on January 11, 2008)

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would guess that the comments by the "racists, bigots, and sickos" are fairly indicative of the general population of michigan in 2008. it's up to the liberal, accepting and tolerant segment of se michiganians, exemplified here by detroityes posters to counteract said opinions.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The freep disconnected their forums a few years ago for reasons similar to this. Lots of flame wars and snide remarks. The forums were brought back not too long ago. From the looks of things, nothing has changed. Maybe the freep should discontinue them again.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice that in many cases they no longer appear on the page with the article. You have to click a link to view the comments.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I look at the Freep forums there are terrible remarks there. I do not think it is indicative of the general population of Michigan. There is something about that particular forum that attracts certain personality types. I don't think it takes many, either. People like that seem to like to share their derogatory ideas with others more loudly and more often.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a regular poster on the Freep forums (K-slic3), and I have to agree with this. Most of the people on the forums seem to be far right, Detroit hating, survivalists. Or even worse, they are from out of state and just like to bash Michigan and Detroit.

I usually try to bring my opinion in a civilized way as I do here, but it's pretty hard.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the internet is the true democratic forum for the expression of any person's ideas. Those ideas are not censored by any sense of civility or manners common in face-to-face interactions.

I'd hazard a guess that if those people were required to say such things with a photo next to their "handle," together with their physical address, the tone would be much more civil and intelligent. That's just the internet for you though; every idiot is free to demonstrate their own individual idiocy to a large audience.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their forums and just like this forum, you'll have good people and bad people making posts.

I don't disagree with them removing posts that violate their TOS.

But what I also don't agree with is their policy of not directly linking their forums with the various articles they've printed.

Case in point, the Free Press displayed their blatant democratic bias and got egg all over their face the other day by claiming that NO republicans were campaigning in Michigan.

Unfortunately for them, this was far from the truth, and they were blasted on their own forum.

There has been no word on why they lied to their readers nor has their been an apology in their forum for their deception.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately, the internet is the true democratic forum for the expression of any person's ideas. Those ideas are not censored by any sense of civility or manners common in face-to-face interactions.

Yup. I assure you guys that this is pretty much the same situation across the entire Internet, including the Chicago Tribune comment boards.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get more extreme views on the freep forums, but the sentiment felt in the region is spot on.

My Grandma is bitter about how her old neighborhood looks. My neighbor doesn't give out halloween candy because she is afraid of the few 5 year old black kids that might come to her door. A few of my friends are "Anti-Detroit". We went to a new years party downtown, and the Detroit comments from the people I went with were completely unfounded. Unfortunately for Detroit, perception is reality. The levels of racism, fear, and cynicism (sp?) are at varying levels throughout Metro Detroit, but it is across the board.

We improve our own lives today, at the cost of our communities. We look to new, expensive neighborhoods to build better lives. Two or three entire generations were taught by our parents to fear Detroit. We will need future generations to change that thought process (and that is after Detroit turns it around). I hope I am wrong, and my generation is more open to change, but my experience tells me where we stand.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loathe wading into that shallow gene pool. However, my morbid curiosity gets the better of me sometimes and I feel compelled to see which way the wind is blowing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6117
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i would guess that the comments by the "racists, bigots, and sickos" are fairly indicative of the general population of michigan in 2008.

Queensfinest... are you having a crappy day today? This dumb generalization is not one of your finest posts... and oh yeah... don't you live in "Archie Bunker-ville"?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4562
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This dumb generalization is not one of your finest posts"

Has Queensfinest HAD something that could be called a fine post? If so, I must have missed it.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Case in point, the Free Press displayed their blatant democratic bias and got egg all over their face the other day by claiming that NO republicans were campaigning in Michigan."

I would call it a case of poor reporting with whoever posted that assuming that was the case without checking. But I know in your mind it has to be "democratic bias" because Rush and Fox News told you so.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think the Freep forums are bad, you ought to browse through some of the AOL forums on their news links. Some really moronic thinking (and writing) there.
(No, I don't use AOL much, I just keep it for my e-mail addy there which is needed for my genealogy connections. AOL sux, but it's free now if you don't need their dial-up connection.)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the bottom of the barrel, try Craigslist Rants and Raves.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that when the Detroit News shut down (or hid?) their forums they all went over to Freep. The tone sounds pretty much the same as what used to go on at DetNews forums a couple years ago.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 771
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it with media and adding these comment capabilities to everything? From TV shows to news stories who the fuck cares what others think especially when it is filled with SO much ignorance?

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"From TV shows to news stories who the f*** cares what others think especially when it is filled with SO much ignorance?"

---

First off, I just can't read enough of the mindless battles on freep. Secondly, these news organizations use forums for research on what the people care about.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My Grandma is bitter about how her old neighborhood looks. My neighbor doesn't give out halloween candy because she is afraid of the few 5 year old black kids that might come to her door. A few of my friends are "Anti-Detroit". We went to a new years party downtown, and the Detroit comments from the people I went with were completely unfounded.

Rob_in_Warren, sounds like fun over there. You need to move... and get some new friends while you're at it.

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You need to move... and get some new friends while you're at it."

---

I know, maybe I'll be adopted by a new, wealthy Grandma. No, I'll stay and fight the good fight. Wish me luck.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Secondly, these news organizations use forums for research on what the people care about."

Actually that explains why the newspapers have been so dumbed down over the years. I was amazed when they had the "come up with a caption for this pic" in the editorial section.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Secondly, these news organizations use forums for research on what the people care about.

Also, the more interactivity on the site the more $$ they make.

Forum posts = conversations
Conversations = page reloads
Page reloads = higher traffic
Higher traffic = more advertising
$$$$$

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus on the D is correct why they have all the comments....Also, it goes into the Internet 2.0 theory to make money (and also increase the usefulness of the internet)............

i.e. Have the public (and enthusiastic fans) create free content by having them make comments, reviews, and post other things that is then the property of the website that they can sell ads on....

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3190
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I've ever listened to or watched Rush and Fox News over the past month or so, Novine, you might have had a point.

Try again...

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news papers might consider 'moderated forums'. Case in point: do they publish every letter to the editor in the printed edition?

Sure wacko's come out of the wood work why not set some of the worst offenders aside and let regular folks have an honest interaction. I am not advocating that the posters have to agree with one another just bump the blatant hate mongers off.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The news papers might consider 'moderated forums'.

Apparently they are moderated -- just not before the post goes public. From the above link:
quote:

Forum Post-Remove Notice

A post was removed from this forum because it violated our terms of service. <http://www.dnps.com/termsofser vice>.

Public posts to these forums do not represent the views of freep.com or the Detroit Free Press. We do not review comments prior to those posts appearing on the site.

If you see an abusive comment that you would like to have reviewed for possible removal, please contact us at forumadmin@freepress.com.

The worst I've seen is in Yahoo game chatrooms. The best are some of the more professional Usenet newsgroups.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob_in_warren:

"I know, maybe I'll be adopted by a new, wealthy Grandma. No, I'll stay and fight the good fight. Wish me luck."

hahahhahahahaha

thanks for that.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I love how anything hateful and intolerant is always blamed on "the right" and everything peaceful is "The left". You guys fall for stereotypes too easily.
Guess what? People who were LEFT of me politically used to harass me because I didn't agree with them, and that includes threatning me with physical violence. People who were RIGHT of me didn't.They just shook their head and left me alone. In my observations, people on the left have been more intolerant of opposing religious and political views than those on the right. Sorry to get off track, but it burns me to see people stating matter-of-factly something that is either oppositte of my real-life experiences, or blaming one side for something BOTH sides are guilty of.This kind of bias and division is destroying our country.
As for the forums? I think it comes from both sides, and since they don't have to use their real names, they say how they REALLY feel in anonymity.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, that First Amendment to the Bill of Rights sucks. We should definitely overturn it. Why should anyone be able to say what they want.
Except fire in a crowded theater of course.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, your comments are spot-on.

Comments like this
quote:

it's up to the liberal, accepting and tolerant segment of se michiganians, exemplified here by detroityes posters

are either elitist or just plain naive.

It reminds me of the poster who titled his thread Diversity of Discuss Detroit and then turned around and characterized those who voted for President Bush in 2000 as having a KKK lynch-mob mentality. Talk about having a blind spot!

There seems to be very little tolerance for diversity of opinion displayed by the mostly liberal posters here on DetroitYes and one runs the risk of nasty personal attacks for expressing a differing opinion (Ravine, call your office).

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Atlanta I PROUDLY wear my Tigers cap or shirt and get the comment from people that I must be a Tiger's fan. We start a conversation and they ask me where I grew up and I tell them "in the city". They ask where and I reply in SW Detroit near the Ford Rouge plant. I ask them where they grew up and its always Bloomfield Hills, Livonia, etc. I tell them how we go back up at least once per year and stay downtown because its so much fun and has rebounded so well. The reply is almost always that they haven't been downtown in years and seem incredulous that anyone could like downtown. I met a guy today who said his dad hasn't been downtown since 1967! I told him to tell his dad that the riots ended then. Detroit's own worst enemy is those outside the city who won't discover the beauty of what's happening with the CBD. We have and will continue to enjoy the rebirth! Great job D.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ about the freep forums?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4836
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ 2 posts
He probably Googled freak Detroit forums and somehow ended here due to poor spelling skills.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were several posts above relating to "detroit haters" and how the "old neighborhood looked" which is why I posted my comment. LY, no need for your comment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.